Daily News: Cowboy-filled Pro Bowl roster still bothers Giants

Reaction score
Cowboy-filled Pro Bowl roster still bothers Giants

BY RALPH VACCHIANO
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Even after the rings, the parade and all the attention that has come their way after their remarkable Super Bowl run, the Giants still feel like the "all-Joes".
Remember, that's what Antonio Pierce called their divisional playoff game against the star-studded Dallas Cowboys last January - "an All-Pro team vs. an all-Joe team." The Giants were stinging from what turned out to be 13 Cowboys being named to the NFC Pro Bowl squad last year, compared to just one Giant (Osi Umenyiora).
Nine months and one championship later, there's no doubt that snub still stings.
"We will bothered by that for a long time," defensive end Justin Tuck said Thursday. "It ain't Dallas' fault. It's not like they voted for themselves. We just felt like we should've had some, too."
"They have a lot of star power on their team. Our hats off to them for that," added Pierce. "But at the end of the day, do you want the star power, or do you want the jewelry?"
The Super Bowl rings, of course, were the perfect revenge for the Jersey Joes, but even that hasn't been enough to get them completely out of Dallas' shadow. They spent the offseason listening to expert after expert pick the Cowboys to win the division, the conference or maybe the whole thing. And several Giants have brought up last year's Pro Bowl tally this week.
But the Giants are the NFC-leading 6-1 team, while the Cowboys are limping in to Giants Stadium at 4-3 without their starting quarterback and several other Pro Bowlers and sensing their opportunity to stay in the NFC East race slipping away. It would mean a lot to the Giants to bury their nemesis on Sunday, especially with the Pro Bowl voting already underway.
"I've got a feeling that this year things could change," said defensive tackle Barry Cofield. "We've just been getting a lot more recognition and lot more people on the bandwagon. I think people are paying a little bit more attention to how talented a lot of the guys we have around here are. Hopefully they'll have that reputation and hopefully we'll get some more guys in Hawaii.
"But really all that matters is winning games. I'm sure if you ask all those guys from Dallas if they'd trade their Pro Bowl leis for a Super Bowl ring, they would."
True, but there are plenty of Giants who wouldn't mind adding a Pro Bowl lei to their collections. The Giants can argue that they have three defensive linemen who deserve some consideration - Tuck (six sacks), fellow defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka (five) and tackle Fred Robbins (six). Guard Chris Snee will undoubtedly get some votes. And before this season is over, quarterback Eli Manning, receiver Plaxico Burress and maybe even kicker John Carney could be in the Pro Bowl mix, too.
However, not many of those players have the big-name recognition the Cowboys have.
"They're a sexy team," Pierce said. "They have players on their team that are very adorable to the fantasy football world and everybody else from a statistical standpoint. You've got the Hollywood stars. Jessica Simpson is coming to all their games. It's a good place to play."
It's just better to play for the defending champs, even if fewer people know who they are.
"We have names, it's just some people want to have bigger names, or they get more credit," Pierce said. "For us, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I want some more hardware."
HANDS DOWN: Robbins returned to practice on a limited basis Thursday. The DT said he's nursing "bruises" on both of his hands, although he insisted there were no broken bones. ... LB Bryan Kehl (toe) was limited in practice. ... Tom Coughlin was noncommittal on whether rookie Terrell Thomas or veteran Sam Madison would be the nickel CB with Kevin Dockery (back) out. ... TE Jason Witten (ribs) and CB Terence Newman (hernia) missed practice for the Cowboys, but G Kyle Kosier (foot), CB Anthony Henry (thigh) and LB Anthony Spencer (hamstring) were back.

aikemirv

Reaction score
You know if the giants are upset about that still they need to grow up. They played poorly most of the year last year until near the end. They were up and down and made a run at the end of the year. That is not the way to get a lot of players in the pro-bowl.

They didn't deserve a lot of players in the probowl, they did deserve the Super Bowl rings.

They really are hard up for motivation I guess!

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
So obsessed. So freakin' obsessed.

And Vachiwhatever, do you know anything? We're not 4-3. This is at least two times you've screwed this up.

God I so badly want to destroy those ********.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Why are they still butt-hurt over this after winning the Super Bowl?

I swear, the more they trash talk, the more it becomes apparent to me they know how lucky they were we played such an awful game in the playoffs in January.

Then again, they were talking BS even after we kicked the crap out of them two times.

I want this game BADLY.

Reaction score
aikemirv;2386578 said:
You know if the giants are upset about that still they need to grow up. They played poorly most of the year last year until near the end. They were up and down and made a run at the end of the year. That is not the way to get a lot of players in the pro-bowl.

They didn't deserve a lot of players in the probowl, they did deserve the Super Bowl rings.

They really are hard up for motivation I guess!

:crawl: :dissgint:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"We will bothered by that for a long time," defensive end Justin Tuck said Thursday. "It ain't Dallas' fault. It's not like they voted for themselves. We just felt like we should've had some, too."
Good comment.
"They have a lot of star power on their team. Our hats off to them for that," added Pierce. "But at the end of the day, do you want the star power, or do you want the jewelry?"
Idiot alert. Votes from fans, coaches and players factor into Pro Bowl balloting. So, Mr. Pierce, what you're really wanting to ask a significant portion of NFL fans, coaches and your peers is why Dallas and not the Giants?
"I've got a feeling that this year things could change," said defensive tackle Barry Cofield. "We've just been getting a lot more recognition and lot more people on the bandwagon. I think people are paying a little bit more attention to how talented a lot of the guys we have around here are. Hopefully they'll have that reputation and hopefully we'll get some more guys in Hawaii.

But really all that matters is winning games. I'm sure if you ask all those guys from Dallas if they'd trade their Pro Bowl leis for a Super Bowl ring, they would."
Now, that's an adult talking.
"They're a sexy team," Pierce said. "They have players on their team that are very adorable to the fantasy football world and everybody else from a statistical standpoint. You've got the Hollywood stars. Jessica Simpson is coming to all their games. It's a good place to play."

We have names, it's just some people want to have bigger names, or they get more credit," Pierce said. "For us, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I want some more hardware."
For a defending Super Bowl player, he sure does whine a great deal about things that he himself says do not matter. :rolleyes:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I have no problem with the article.

Fans were equally PO'ed to have 13 Pro Bowlers and lose the first Playoff Game.

I like the Giants, I think they have heart, play hard, hate everybody and very good at the "Us against them mentality".

I wish we had more guys like this on our team.

There is a major difference between how the Giants play and rally under their head coach and how our heartless guys play.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2386610 said:

I like the Giants, I think they have heart, play hard, hate everybody and very good at the "Us against them mentality".

There is a major difference between how the Giants play and rally under their head coach and how our heartless guys play.

And you are a fan of which team, again?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It is a good article, but I think that the headline should be change to:

Cowboy-filled Pro Bowl roster still bothers some Giants but Pierce remains pissed

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just like people should get over 13-3. Giants should get over their manufactured disrespect. It's very Patriots-like and just as annoying. When you win the ultimate prize, you should tell everyone who didn't believe to kiss your *** and move on.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
We no longer have a pro bowl filled roster.

2007 Pro Bowlers and chances of repeat in 2008.

Nick Folk...maybe
Greg Ellis...no chance
DeMarcus Ware...Absolutely
Jason Witten...yes
Terrell Owens...not unless when Tony comes back he explodes
Flozell Adams...don't make me laugh
Leonard Davis...doubt it
Andre Gurode...if he does it's only because no other NFC Centers stand out
Terence Newman...nope
Roy Williams...nuh uh
Ken Hamlin...pfft
Marion Barber...he might
Tony Romo...I think he will

3 yes
3 maybe
7 no

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2386631 said:
Just like people should get over 13-3. Giants should get over their manufactured disrespect. It's very Patriots-like and just as annoying. When you win the ultimate prize, you should tell everyone who didn't believe to kiss your *** and move on.

:bravo: :clap2: :beer2: :gent: :dance2:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why do these columnists keep saying we're 4-3? LOL This is the 2nd guy i've seen say this. I guess he wants to think we've had our bye or something.

Smith22

Reaction score
I like the attitude the Giants play with, but I am sick of tired of the crap that comes out of their mouth. I'm crossing my fingers that our OL and QB show up on Sunday!:banghead: :banghead:

Smith22

Reaction score
rocyaice;2386649 said:
Why do these columnists keep saying we're 4-3? LOL This is the 2nd guy i've seen say this. I guess he wants to think we've had our bye or something.
Yeah, the last I checked we are 5-3, unless they are taking a game away from us.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Hostile;2386636 said:
We no longer have a pro bowl filled roster.

2007 Pro Bowlers and chances of repeat in 2008.

Nick Folk...maybe
Greg Ellis...no chance
DeMarcus Ware...Absolutely
Jason Witten...yes
Terrell Owens...not unless when Tony comes back he explodes
Flozell Adams...don't make me laugh
Leonard Davis...doubt it
Andre Gurode...if he does it's only because no other NFC Centers stand out
Terence Newman...nope
Roy Williams...nuh uh
Ken Hamlin...pfft
Marion Barber...he might
Tony Romo...I think he will

3 yes
3 maybe
7 no

Exactly, and even if we make a late run, it is not going to change a lot.

Just like last year except the teams have changed!

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The part in bold explains why you fail to see the whiny nature of the Giants players. They're a bunch of crybabies who can't win (or lose) without running their mouths before and after the game. They play with heart. Fine. But shut your piehole and let your play speak for itself. Even after we beat them (twice) they were still talking smack. When Crayton runs his mouth, everybody wants to jump all over him. Do the same to the Giants players.