Dak and Leading the NFL in Passing

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I was thinking about this.....

Dak's leading the NFL in passing, but so what? We have a losing record and we look like a train wreck. Place blame wherever you want to for our losses - and there's plenty of blame to go around - but this post is about leading the league in passing yards and how it doesn't matter....or does it?

Who's in 2nd place? Jameis Winston. That's gotten the Bucs the same record as the Cowboys. 3rd place? Rivers at 5-8.

Still, I think it matters. I don't care that many of the yards have come when games were out of hand. It still proves that Dak can sling it around with success. A coaching staff that can build a cohesive game plan doesn't have to worry about the limitations of Dak Prescott. I don't know this for sure, but I believe the current staff actively discourages Dak from running the ball. They know that if Dak goes down, any chance of winning goes down with him. Copper Rush just isn't going to get it done where Dak and the team can't. I'm okay with Dak limiting his rushes. As highly as I think of Lamar Jackson, he's still limited this week with a thigh bruise. Whether Jackson can succeed long term utilizing his legs as he has this year remains to be seen.

Before someone jumps in with Dak's INTs this year, just stop. Several were end of half and long, low percentage passes when we had a big lead. I really can't think of one pick that lead to us losing the game.

Just my thoughts.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I said before the season that Dak is fully capable of throwing for 5k yards especially when you considered how he played with Cooper the last 10 games of the season. However, I didn't think we could win games under this currently coaching staff if he had to throw for 5k. JG has been most successful in Dallas with a run first offense even with Romo at QB. So if we continue to be a team centered around throwing the ball the rest of this season we will see the same results. I get it the defense sucks but a large amount of the defenses success was because of the ball control, time of possession type of offense that we have had.

shabazz

Reaction score
Lot of garbage yards. It's meaningless. The only thing a player should ever want to lead the league in is wins.

He's had 2 games, Saints and Patriots where all this" Passing Machine" had to do was lead the Offense to 2 Touchdowns and we win both games......but that wasn't done. False Stats built off the easiest schedule in the NFL and throwing over 40 times a game. And predictably, ineffective against the Bears, Bills and coming up next, the Rams.......until garbage time once again

350 yards against the Bears in 50 Attempts but only 7 points through the first 3 quarters. anybody see a pattern here?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Lot of garbage yards. It's meaningless. The only thing a player should ever want to lead the league in is wins.
Other than Brady he did lead the league in wins since he came into the league. Which wasn’t good enough for some of the people that liked your post.

Now he’s leading the league in passing(something those same football geniuses said wasn’t possible) and that’s not good either.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
He's had 2 games, Saints and Patriots where all this" Passing Machine" had to do was lead the Offense to 2 Touchdowns and we win both games......but that wasn't done. False Stats built off the easiest schedule in the NFL and throwing over 40 times a game. And predictably, ineffective against the Bears, Bills and coming up next, the Rams.......until garbage time once again

350 yards against the Bears in 50 Attempts but only 7 points through the first 3 quarters. anybody see a pattern here?

Weren’t you one of the guys that said his winning didn’t matter or shouldn’t be attributed to him because his stats don’t show it? Or that he could only throw short? Or couldn’t go over 300 yards?

Maybe it wasn’t you.

I’m surprised some can be so wrong over and over and continue to act like they know what they’re talking about.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Truck-banner-1170x350.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On one hand, it is a passing league. Dallas has a very good trio of #1 #2 and #3 receivers along with more than adequate group of tight ends.

On the other hand, the offense is built to run the ball. A combo of big offensive line and talented running back has shown this offense can run the ball but it has become often stymied by opposing defenses.

It is a conundrum. Well. Not really. It is more a coaching philosophy working against itself.

shabazz

Reaction score
Weren’t you one of the guys that said his winning didn’t matter or shouldn’t be attributed to him because his stats don’t show it? Or that he could only throw short? Or couldn’t go over 300 yards?

Maybe it wasn’t you.

I’m surprised some can be so wrong over and over and continue to act like they know what they’re talking about.

No but, who cant go over 300 yards in 50 throws when the defense is in prevent? Really?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Leading the league in passing is meaningless.

Of course, there are also posters on this board who for the past three years would point to Dak’s lower yardage totals as reason to criticize and that “winning is a team stat and shouldn’t be attributed to a single player”. And now that his yardage totals are high, some of those posters are pointing out the lack of wins and saying the yardage totals are meaningless.

John813

Reaction score
In 2018 the league leaders were:

1. Big Ben 5,129 yds 9-6-1
2. Mahomes 5,097 yds 12-4
3. Ryan 4,924 yds 7-9
4. Goff 4,688 yards 13-3
5. Luck 4,593 yds 10-6

4 out of the 5 QBs on that list made the playoffs.

In 2017...

1. Brady 4,577 yds 13-3
2. Rivers 4,515 yds 9-7
3. Stafford 4,446 yds 7-9
4. Brees 4,334 yds 11-5
5. Big Ben 4,251 yds 12-3

3 out of 5 made the show.

Not sure this means anything, as I too do believe that some of Dak's yardage has come in garbage/prevent defense schemes. Most of the QB's on the list, that made the playoffs play/played in pass friendly offenses. Only Goff in 2018 had a stud bellcow. The rest either had a RBBC or a good but not elite RB's.

He has improved in my opinion as a QB and not all the blame falls on him for the 6-7 record. He's had bad stretches, Zeke has had bad stretches, the OL, the DL the LB etc all have **** the bed at times and have played roles in our under .500 record.

shabazz

Reaction score
I guess putting point on the board throughout the game rather than the 4th quarter in garbage time and ALWAYS falling short this season is overrated.

Not a single 2019 regular season 4th quarter comeback despite all the garbage yards

Blackrain

Reaction score
I was thinking about this.....

Dak's leading the NFL in passing, but so what? We have a losing record and we look like a train wreck. Place blame wherever you want to for our losses - and there's plenty of blame to go around - but this post is about leading the league in passing yards and how it doesn't matter....or does it?

Who's in 2nd place? Jameis Winston. That's gotten the Bucs the same record as the Cowboys. 3rd place? Rivers at 5-8.

Still, I think it matters. I don't care that many of the yards have come when games were out of hand. It still proves that Dak can sling it around with success. A coaching staff that can build a cohesive game plan doesn't have to worry about the limitations of Dak Prescott. I don't know this for sure, but I believe the current staff actively discourages Dak from running the ball. They know that if Dak goes down, any chance of winning goes down with him. Copper Rush just isn't going to get it done where Dak and the team can't. I'm okay with Dak limiting his rushes. As highly as I think of Lamar Jackson, he's still limited this week with a thigh bruise. Whether Jackson can succeed long term utilizing his legs as he has this year remains to be seen.

Before someone jumps in with Dak's INTs this year, just stop. Several were end of half and long, low percentage passes when we had a big lead. I really can't think of one pick that lead to us losing the game.

Just my thoughts.

Everybody cried and moaned when Dak put up small #s and we were winning . Nobody was satisfied with moving the chains controlling the clock and protecting our defense .

They wanted ROMO BALL and now they have it. Big stats that lead to 8-8 . Dak proved he can do everything Tony could do and more when necessary in making it happen with his legs . Dak also proved that unbalanced passing attack is a failed freaking process no matter if it is him or Tony running it .

Close to 50 attempts 350 yrds passing a couple TDs and a BIG FAT LLLLLLLL Romo ball at its finest

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Other than Brady he did lead the league in wins since he came into the league. Which wasn’t good enough for some of the people that liked your post.

Now he’s leading the league in passing(something those same football geniuses said wasn’t possible) and that’s not good either.

but it was good enough for some. dak got offered a nice deal. he and his agent turned it down. Thats on them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Everybody cried and moaned when Dak put up small #s and we were winning . Nobody was satisfied with moving the chains controlling the clock and protecting our defense .

They wanted ROMO BALL and now they have it. Big stats that lead to 8-8 . Dak proved he can do everything Tony could do and more when necessary in making it happen with his legs . Dak also proved that unbalanced passing attack is a failed freaking process no matter if it is him or Tony running it .

Close to 50 attempts 350 yrds passing a couple TDs and a BIG FAT LLLLLLLL Romo ball at its finest

I don't agree with any of this.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Can we just come up with a consistent standard wether they matter or not? And then apply it equally to say, Zeke and his rushing title when people believe he has declined?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

That’s what they were crying for.

starfan1

Reaction score
Dak has some issues to be sure just as the previous QB had warts. The problem that both of them had is they both have had to deal with a crappy owner a crappy coaching staff and a defense that when the game is on the line cannot make stops

our defense is horrible its the #1 problem followed by a coaching staff that isnt capable of making good in game decisions and fails to do their homework and be prepared each week for the opponent on their schedule