Video: Dak asked about following Aikman/Staubach's legacy

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Why didn't they ask about following Quinthy and Super Chad Hutchinson's legacy? :muttley:
Guess they are just talking about those 2 QB's legacy's because they won SuperBowls. Romo doesn't have a legacy too, he is statistically the best Dallas Cowboy QB ever, lol. Go by TD's- career and in a season, go by QB rating, yards, etc- its Romo. I realize Aikman had Emmitt and it was a running heavy league back when Staubach played compared to Romo's day. Both Staubach and Aikman were obviously great, I am NOT saying they weren't, but they did have far superior teammates than Romo ever did. Those 70's and 90's teams were stacked with talent on both sides of the ball. Look at who the reserves were on those 90's teams, its incredible - Woodson is about to get in the Hall of Fame and he was a reserve on that first SuperBowl winning team, lol. Also consider the coaches, Staubach had Landry and Aikman had Jimmy - who did Romo have, lol. I just don't get why Romo is excluded from the great Dallas Cowboy QB's list simply because he didn't win a SuperBowl. Dan Marino was great and he never won one. Trent Dilfer was not anywhere near great and he did win one. One guy can only do so much. Its a team sport.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Guess they are just talking about those 2 QB's legacy's because they won SuperBowls. Romo doesn't have a legacy too, he is statistically the best Dallas Cowboy QB ever, lol. Go by TD's- career and in a season, go by QB rating, yards, etc- its Romo. I realize Aikman had Emmitt and it was a running heavy league back when Staubach played compared to Romo's day. Both Staubach and Aikman were obviously great, I am NOT saying they weren't, but they did have far superior teammates than Romo ever did. Those 70's and 90's teams were stacked with talent on both sides of the ball. Look at who the reserves were on those 90's teams, its incredible - Woodson is about to get in the Hall of Fame and he was a reserve on that first SuperBowl winning team, lol. Also consider the coaches, Staubach had Landry and Aikman had Jimmy - who did Romo have, lol. I just don't get why Romo is excluded from the great Dallas Cowboy QB's list simply because he didn't win a SuperBowl. Dan Marino was great and he never won one. Trent Dilfer was not anywhere near great and he did win one. One guy can only do so much. Its a team sport.
Because Staubach and Aikman were great, and Romo was not. They were a Heisman Trophy winner and #1 Overall pick, respectively, for a reason and lived up to it. 1st Ballot HOFers, Multiple SB winners and winningest QBs of their eras.

It’s no comparison. Romo was good but not on their level.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Because Staubach and Aikman were great, and Romo was not. They were a Heisman Trophy winner and #1 Overall pick, respectively, for a reason and lived up to it. 1st Ballot HOFers, Multiple SB winners and winningest QBs of their eras.

It’s no comparison. Romo was good but not on their level.
They didn't win those SuperBowls themselves, lol- they had far superior teams to win them with as well as far superior coaches too.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
I go by what I see on the field. Of course the ultimate goal is to win a championship. Aikman takes the reign for that. So you really can’t dispute that. However, as far as just overall raw talent I think Romo probably was the best quarterback in cowboys history. Just like I think Peyton Manning is a better quarterback than Tom Brady. But Tom Brady is the goat because he won the championships. But as far as just raw, the whole package quarterback deal, I view Peyton Manning is the best ever to play the game. Dak is decent, but not on their level….but the only way he will ever get a championship is if he plays on a perfect fully stocked Cowboys team and doesn’t mess it up. Something he has yet to prove.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I go by what I see on the field. Of course the ultimate goal is to win a championship. Aikman takes the reign for that. So you really can’t dispute that. However, as far as just overall raw talent I think Romo probably was the best quarterback in cowboys history. Just like I think Peyton Manning is a better quarterback than Tom Brady. But Tom Brady is the goat because he won the championships. But as far as just raw, the whole package quarterback deal, I view Peyton Manning is the best ever to play the game. Dak is decent, but the only way he will ever get a championship is if he plays on a perfect fully stocked Cowboys team it doesn’t mess it up. Something he has yet to prove.
I put Manning one and Brady two also. Most don't, you are right.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
They didn't win those SuperBowls themselves, lol- they had far superior teams to win them with as well as far superior coaches too.
Aikman’s career low was a divisional round playoff loss. That was Romo’s peak.

The people that want to group Romo with them have no idea what they’re talking about, Aikman was the prototype pocket passer. It’s night and day on talent, leadership, and ability to win. Dallas wins the super bowl in 2007 or 2014 if they had Aikman at quarterback. Hell maybe even 2009, or did you forget Romo has the #2 ranked defense in the league that year and choked by turning the ball over 3 times in Minnesota?

Respect the history of this franchise, it wasn’t always the clown show it’s been for the past quarter century.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
I put Manning one and Brady two also. Most don't, you are right.
Well a lot of “experts“ who follow the game closely also think Peyton Manning was the best quarterback ever to lace it up. When he was at his peak with the Colts, it was a work of art and mastery to watch that guy play. His ability to read defenses at the line of scrimmage was unmatched. Changing the playcalling to perfection along with his ability to throw the ball on a rope like a dart across the football field.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Well a lot of “experts“ who follow the game closely also think Peyton Manning was the best quarterback ever to lace it up. When he was at his peak with the Colts, it was a work of art and mastery to watch that guy play. His ability to read defenses at the line of scrimmage was unmatched. Changing the playcalling to perfection along with his ability to throw the ball on a rope like a dart across the football field.
I agree, he was the best at reading a defense ever. I read where he credited Marshal Faulk with helping him to do that in his rookie season. Faulk of course got traded to the Rams and I live in St Louis. Faulk was one of the smartest non-QB players I ever saw.

RS12

Reaction score
Why does everybody that makes this argument jump over a couple of inconvenient facts. First when Staubach and even Aikman played the defenses had a lot more they were allowed to do like mugging and head hunting QBs and receivers. Second Staubach really didn't start his career until age 29. He then missed almost an entire season with a separated shoulder. For his era and only playing approximately 10 seasons his numbers are as good as it gets. Romo was a fun watch but his era is basketball on grass and tilt the rules to offense. Please stop with these comparisons.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Or after Romo's fumbled FG snap, Parcells realized Romo didn't have IT and Bill chose retirement???
Yes, he was the HOLDER on that play, not under center as a QB, lol. Most teams don't have their number one QB as the FG holder, he was because he started the season as the number two QB and took over starting during the season. Ok, he goofed as the holder, or it was a bad snap- has nothing to do with him as QB, lol