Video: Dak asked about following Aikman/Staubach's legacy

tico

Reaction score
Don't worry about #8 & #12 just try to reach Romos level......sheeeesh

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Guess they are just talking about those 2 QB's legacy's because they won SuperBowls. Romo doesn't have a legacy too, he is statistically the best Dallas Cowboy QB ever, lol. Go by TD's- career and in a season, go by QB rating, yards, etc- its Romo. I realize Aikman had Emmitt and it was a running heavy league back when Staubach played compared to Romo's day. Both Staubach and Aikman were obviously great, I am NOT saying they weren't, but they did have far superior teammates than Romo ever did. Those 70's and 90's teams were stacked with talent on both sides of the ball. Look at who the reserves were on those 90's teams, its incredible - Woodson is about to get in the Hall of Fame and he was a reserve on that first SuperBowl winning team, lol. Also consider the coaches, Staubach had Landry and Aikman had Jimmy - who did Romo have, lol. I just don't get why Romo is excluded from the great Dallas Cowboy QB's list simply because he didn't win a SuperBowl. Dan Marino was great and he never won one. Trent Dilfer was not anywhere near great and he did win one. One guy can only do so much. Its a team sport.
Those teams (Stauback, Aikman) played under different rules. It was a different game back then. You never saw a pass rusher pull up on a QB hit. As a matter of fact, you often saw the opposite. You also could witness teams trying to take the QB out of the game with little repercussions. You also would see CB and WR wrestling all the way down the field with few flags thrown. It wasn't just about speed, catching and ball placement. It was also who would win the physical battle. You don't see any of that in this league now. So these latest records and stats are related to a different kind of game. A game that was not focused on safety. You just cannot compare apples and oranges. Two different eras. The QB's today would NOT have the same stats if they were playing by same rules back when Aikman was a QB. Details matter. It is a different regulated game today.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Why does everybody that makes this argument jump over a couple of inconvenient facts. First when Staubach and even Aikman played the defenses had a lot more they were allowed to do like mugging and head hunting QBs and receivers. Second Staubach really didn't start his career until age 29. He then missed almost an entire season with a separated shoulder. For his era and only playing approximately 10 seasons his numbers are as good as it gets. Romo was a fun watch but his era is basketball on grass and tilt the rules to offense. Please stop with these comparisons.
I agree, it was a different game back then. Not sure why so many ignore this fact. QB's today would not have same stats/record if they were playing in that system. Also think a few would not still be playing because they wouldn't be physically able.

Legend

Reaction score
I agree, it was a different game back then. Not sure why so many ignore this fact. QB's today would not have same stats/record if they were playing in that system. Also think a few would not still be playing because they wouldn't be physically able.
That is why I share this John Madden commercial so the younger fans can see some of the physicality.

“If it is in the game (NFL); it is in the game (Madden video game).

Ache man Logo Athletic commercial

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Nothing Romo or Dak has had on the opposite side of the ball would come close to competing with what #8 and #12 had..again I too believe they are the 2 best QB's in franchise history hands down but my god they had a defense that would pick up any slack just about any game.