Dak Contract Preposition

csirl

Reaction score
Dak wont want a short term deal. There are still question marks over his ability and the risk he wont suit MMa offense. If I were his agent, I'd advise him to take whatever deal gives the most guaranteed money. The longer, the better.

The QB market has changed dramatically. Aside from 2-3 generational players, its fallen.

The trend right now is early drafted QBs who are still on their cheap first contracts. Vets with extensive starting experience have crashed in price e.g. Tannehill, Fitzmagic, Keenum etc. Bortles is on only 1m per year. Some of these guys arent that different to Cousins, Garrapolo etc in terms of ability, but now a fraction of the price.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Surprised why it hasn’t been done yet. It seems to be a natural compromise. Either it’s over the money which I have heard it’s not really about or since it didn’t get done before the season started that JJ was in no hurry. He didn’t regress. Actually looked better stat wise. Helped lead the #1 Offense. Strange that wins usually come along with that stat. He will get credit and blame for this season. Lol.
I have to wonder if there is something we don't know, because I agree that it seems this should already be done.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Surprised why it hasn’t been done yet. It seems to be a natural compromise. Either it’s over the money which I have heard it’s not really about or since it didn’t get done before the season started that JJ was in no hurry. He didn’t regress. Actually looked better stat wise. Helped lead the #1 Offense. Strange that wins usually come along with that stat. He will get credit and blame for this season. Lol.

From everything we've heard, they tried to him signed before the season started but Dak chose to roll the dice.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have to wonder if there is something we don't know, because I agree that it seems this should already be done.
I heard Dak saying in a interview that he believes that they should all be able to get paid with the new CBA and gambling being allowed and drawing more money. Then he also said he didn’t expect to be paid Wilson money because he hasn’t won a SB and don’t deserve that much yet. Maybe he is wanting a short term deal or tags and rolling the dice until the new CBA. If I am him I wouldn’t be rolling the dice that long. He is young and healthy but he also ended up getting injured this year that could have been serious. Maybe that was a eye opener for him. JJ and SJ seem to be sold on him being the franchise QB. Unless JJ has something up his sleeve.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Exactly ...Remember Stephen said it was a top 5 offer at the time. But BOTH are now motivated....this is why I'm 100% confident it gets done before Feb 25th.
Yeah was likely 30-32. Maybe even lower. Just offer him goff money and be done... Many here won’t like paying that much but if they are going to pay him regardless of what we want just do it and tag Cooper or Jones.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
I say we give Dak a 2 year contract. That way, we don't waste a tag, and he gets what he wants. A short contract so he can "cash" in on the next big market changing price.

However, we draft a QB either this year or next year to sit behind Dak just in case he's average again. We will treat him like the Chiefs did Alex Smith. He will get a chance, however, the rookie sitting under him will have his chance as well. If Dak fails to step up to the plate, we let him walk after his contract year, and play the rookie while we have one or two good years left out of Zeke and the O-line. We may have a Mahomes situation on our hands if we go with this method. Also, this should please the "Pro-Dakers" because they will no longer have a albeit terrible HC to blame. It's all on Dak now. He's going into his 5th year with a new HC. There is no room or reason for failure. If he fails, 2 years is enough time to reveal the truth of who he is.

Now, some will ask, "What if the rookie is a bust?". Well I will answer that question with a question. "What's the worst that could happen?"
Say we enter Dak's contract year and he has yet to reach the big game. The worst we could do with a rookie is we don't reach the big game.
Some will say, "We could go 0-16 with the rookie!" Tell me. What's the difference between 0-16 and 8-8 (let's say we miss the playoffs with 8-8)? You miss the playoffs either way. All it is is a difference in draft pick in the end. You aren't competing in the playoffs, you aren't competing for a superbowl, both seasons end at the 17th game. There is no difference besides a flashy record. Difference is, we have a lot more to build off of with the cheap rookie and 1st-2nd pick in the draft.

If 2 years is not substantial enough, I also saw this post in another thread

Tagging is not ideal, but it may not be all that bad.

Tl;dr: we need a rookie QB this year or next year. We can do it by either giving him a short contract or tagging him. If he refuses, we just need to get a rookie. I'm not interested in someone that holds out when that same person just went 8-8 with average play for the latter half of the season.

You sound like a loser in life, enjoy this!

starfan1

Reaction score
Lol some of you guys are a good laugh . Taking a QB in round 1 or 2 is stupidity I get you don’t like Dak but he is well down the list of issues

we have got to get better on defense at all 3 levels and some depth at Oline probably wouldn’t hurt

my proposal is either tag him or pay him 32 maybe kick in incentives

because they like him so much we can get Amari Chill, Pappy , Matt James ,Erod all kick in a couple grand once Daks win total and yardage incentives are met

When he starts next year and is paid some of y’all gonna need counseling lol

I will say we need a better back up plan than cooper rush someone that can push Dak a bit so if jaylon I can’t pass hurts drops to the 4th or 5 th then I can see that Dallas don’t invest high resources at the qb position under this gm

use your head and look at his history

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Lol some of you guys are a good laugh . Taking a QB in round 1 or 2 is stupidity I get you don’t like Dak but he is well down the list of issues

we have got to get better on defense at all 3 levels and some depth at Oline probably wouldn’t hurt

my proposal is either tag him or pay him 32 maybe kick in incentives

because they like him so much we can get Amari Chill, Pappy , Matt James ,Erod all kick in a couple grand once Daks win total and yardage incentives are met

When he starts next year and is paid some of y’all gonna need counseling lol

I will say we need a better back up plan than cooper rush someone that can push Dak a bit so if jaylon I can’t pass hurts drops to the 4th or 5 th then I can see that Dallas don’t invest high resources at the qb position under this gm

use your head and look at his history

How is tagging Dak and drafting a QB to sit under him this year a bad idea? I understand we have defensive needs, but we have other picks we can use for that. Also, we mostly needed a scheme change. If you listen to Cowboys Break and Insider, etc, you’d know that the defense was divided. From Ben Bloom, to Rod, to Richard, to Jaylon Smith. This led to a lot of confusion that IMO brought down the team. LVE was hurt and our DB’s were taught to not track the ball. A scheme/coaching change can change all of this. We need 2 upgrades at the D-line. A safety. Maybe another corner. That’s it for defense. Need a TE for offense. We can afford to draft a QB.

starfan1

Reaction score
How is tagging Dak and drafting a QB to sit under him this year a bad idea? I understand we have defensive needs, but we have other picks we can use for that. Also, we mostly needed a scheme change. If you listen to Cowboys Break and Insider, etc, you’d know that the defense was divided. From Ben Bloom, to Rod, to Richard, to Jaylon Smith. This led to a lot of confusion that IMO brought down the team. LVE was hurt and our DB’s were taught to not track the ball. A scheme/coaching change can change all of this. We need 2 upgrades at the D-line. A safety. Maybe another corner. That’s it for defense. Need a TE for offense. We can afford to draft a QB.

drafting a QB is not necessarily a bad idea. Drafting one early is. Our first 2 rounds in fact the first 3 should be on the defensive side of the ball. LVE may be a concern long term so dont take LB off the table and jaylon looks lost now if a new scheme fixes him and the others then so be it. We will lose Jones and Awuzi sucks (hell be under contract though)So like i said if you want to take a flyer late on a QB then Im all for it as we need an upgrade for Cooper Rush

conner01

Reaction score
Leads me to believe it wasn’t enough money.
I read somewhere it was about length
But who knows
I would think Dak would want shorter to get another contract, team wants longer so there isn’t another contract till as late as possible
I think it gets done but the sooner the better

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think you guys are not thinking about 1 thing, and that is what MM thinks
of Dak, and what his advice on years would be.
I doubt he would take the cowboy job if he didnt want to work with dak.
We dont know what dak is thinking or the jones boys.'
We dont have enough info to speculate on this so I am content to let
them work it out however.

I do think they should draft a better qb for the bkup role, but not a pick 1-3
try to find one 4 or later.

If a deal isnt done by april, then they may draft one high, and tag Dak.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Jones family please sign Dak in the next few weeks so we can stop making these threads.

GMO415

Reaction score
2 years? NFL QBs don't grow on trees. No team can sustain success moving from QB to QB every other year.