Dak Contract Preposition

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Jerry is going to want a long-term deal that pays him top dollar now but is a bargain 2-3 years down the road.

Dak's agent is going to want a top dollar deal now with another bite of the apple in 4 years.

Compromise? That's what every gm wants, but why should Dak's agent compromise? I'm sure they are looking at the best rookie season in NFL history and 2 division titles in 4 years with great leadership and never missing a day of camp, unlike Zeke, for peanuts. You don't even have to like Dak at QB to recognize he was probably the best per dollar QB in the NFL for 4 years.

Jerry just needs to suck it up and give him what he wants, a well paid 4 year contract. Worry about the next contract when the time comes.

MetalMike

Reaction score
This will never happen but, I'd offer Dak what he wants or close to it for 5 years. After the term of the contract if he has no SB championships then he has to refund half of it back to the Cowboys.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Well, it solves the Dak/Amari/Byron issue. We pay Dak and tag Byron and Amari. That way, no one has to walk.

2. He'd be willing to sign that deal because he wants a short deal in the first place so he can have 2 market changing contracts. Example: Say we pay him 36 mil this year. 2 years from now, if Dak plays well, after Mahomes gets his 40-45 mil contract, Dak will cash in on the next big market contract amount.

3. Fromm/Love/Eason are good prospects. I see no problems with drafting them, even if Herbert or Tua aren't available.

The bolded is one of the reasons I mentioned to tag him... This way that doesn't happen. After the proposed suggestion I had of signing him next year if things work out, give him a long term.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
From everything we've heard, they tried to him signed before the season started but Dak chose to roll the dice.
Not exactly what I read. Apparently, they were very close to a deal with Dak's agent, but when neither side committed, Dak asked to just stop negotiating because he wanted to focus on football with games approaching and not have agent talking to him about it every day.

Now the season is over. The dust is still settling, vacations, etc. I'm sure they will get back at it and have a deal done before the draft.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
This will never happen but, I'd offer Dak what he wants or close to it for 5 years. After the term of the contract if he has no SB championships then he has to refund half of it back to the Cowboys.
Holy Cow! Why would the QB give back half of his money for not winning a Super Bowl? Is Zeke giving his money back? Tyron? Jalen?

MetalMike

Reaction score
The bolded is one of the reasons I mentioned to tag him... This way that doesn't happen. After the proposed suggestion I had of signing him next year if things work out, give him a long term.
If we do anything right now I agree and just tag him and see what happens. Btw, I'm in Lexington, KY too. Go Cowboys!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would tag him at the first opportunity. I would not even discuss a contract at this point. Got a new HC with a new offense, I would want to know if he's the QB for this offense and I would tell him that. And I am willing to make him the highest paid player on the team to find out.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I would tag him at the first opportunity. I would not even discuss a contract at this point. Got a new HC with a new offense, I would want to know if he's the QB for this offense and I would tell him that. And I am willing to make him the highest paid player on the team to find out.

I think that's the most common sense thing to do...

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I say we give Dak a 2 year contract. That way, we don't waste a tag, and he gets what he wants. A short contract so he can "cash" in on the next big market changing price.

However, we draft a QB either this year or next year to sit behind Dak just in case he's average again. We will treat him like the Chiefs did Alex Smith. He will get a chance, however, the rookie sitting under him will have his chance as well. If Dak fails to step up to the plate, we let him walk after his contract year, and play the rookie while we have one or two good years left out of Zeke and the O-line. We may have a Mahomes situation on our hands if we go with this method. Also, this should please the "Pro-Dakers" because they will no longer have a albeit terrible HC to blame. It's all on Dak now. He's going into his 5th year with a new HC. There is no room or reason for failure. If he fails, 2 years is enough time to reveal the truth of who he is.

Now, some will ask, "What if the rookie is a bust?". Well I will answer that question with a question. "What's the worst that could happen?"
Say we enter Dak's contract year and he has yet to reach the big game. The worst we could do with a rookie is we don't reach the big game.
Some will say, "We could go 0-16 with the rookie!" Tell me. What's the difference between 0-16 and 8-8 (let's say we miss the playoffs with 8-8)? You miss the playoffs either way. All it is is a difference in draft pick in the end. You aren't competing in the playoffs, you aren't competing for a superbowl, both seasons end at the 17th game. There is no difference besides a flashy record. Difference is, we have a lot more to build off of with the cheap rookie and 1st-2nd pick in the draft.

If 2 years is not substantial enough, I also saw this post in another thread

Tagging is not ideal, but it may not be all that bad.

Tl;dr: we need a rookie QB this year or next year. We can do it by either giving him a short contract or tagging him. If he refuses, we just need to get a rookie. I'm not interested in someone that holds out when that same person just went 8-8 with average play for the latter half of the season.
"Preposition"?
Ha ha ha!!!

Corso

Reaction score
That will only change the tense from "will be overpaid" to "is overpaid". Everything else will remain the same.
Temperature is about to regulate around these parts so you know what that means...
Jerky Experimentation!!!
I'm excited! I'm going to throw down a version of the jalop that looks to be an improvement of last year's version and spicy, smoky lemon pepper is in the mix.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Temperature is about to regulate around these parts so you know what that means...
Jerky Experimentation!!!
I'm excited! I'm going to throw down a version of the jalop that looks to be an improvement of last year's version and spicy lemon pepper is in the mix.
Sounds interesting..........in a good way, of course!

Corso

Reaction score
Sounds interesting..........in a good way, of course!
The spicy, smoky lemon pepper is going to be an act of love. I'm going to make both hunter's strips and thin flanks.
We'll see how it goes! I'll let you know when I start.