Twitter: Dak gets choked up

cellarrodent

Reaction score
Exactly, he has room for improvement, but he's got heart, guts, and he was a bright spot imo on this team this season.
Have to agree... He certainly isn't that "natural passer", but worked very hard in the off-season to improve his game. We'll have to see where this ends up, but certainly 'not' worth the money he's commanding... Hopefully he'll consider an interim short year deal to further demonstrate his worthiness... Unfortunately, I'm currently not yet convinced.

zeke21

Reaction score
Four years of debating over the QB.. and we are still no closer to knowing if Dak is good enough. Stats suggest he is "Top 5" but they also suggest Winston is #1 - so stats lie. I think even Daks most ardent supporters would acknowledge that not all stats are 'equal'.

There is no doubt that Dak overachieved based on draft position and he has stepped into one of the biggest jobs in football and handled it gracefully. Handles the media, fans and attention well. By all reports is a good team mate and a good guy/ team mate.

So even I, an anti-Dak, can absolutely agree that he has a lot of the qualities you look for in a QB. I think he is slightly above average. I think he is probably in the 14-18 range in terms of overall QB play. There is enough to work with if Jerry pays him (which I personally believe he will).

However my main objection is that whilst you can win a SB with a 'slightly above average' QB.. it is harder to do so. Having an elite QB is still the best path to SB success in the modern era. A strong D and great QB play will see sustained success.

So lets look at all the list of winning QBs since our last win: Favre, Elway, Warner, Brady, Roethisberger, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, WIlson, Flacco

So yes there have probably been 2-3 'unexpected' wins by less than stellar QBs in the last 23 years.. Foles comes to mind.. but don't kid yourself that is the norm. Great QB play still wins championships and if you honestly think that Dak is anywhere close to the level of guys like Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees, Wilson then good luck to you. Those guys are consistent, proven and reliable quarterbacks. Those guys don't leave their fan bases debating for four years whether a new coach will help them throw open receivers, or not throw behind/wide/high etc. Yes there are debates over whether it is time for them to move on at the END of their careers.. but THEY are what an ELITE QB looks like. The guys that will give you a chance to win no matter the circumstances. Dak is NOT that guy.

So can we win with Dak? Yep absolutely. Is he better than a lot of the trash around the league.. absolutely. Is he good enough to command elite dollars and weaken every other position across the team.. no no and no. That is the issue. If we pay Dak elite money then we will not be able to get the talent we need to win. Simple as that. As such we will not win a Superbowl with Dak as our QB.

cellarrodent

Reaction score
Four years of debating over the QB.. and we are still no closer to knowing if Dak is good enough. Stats suggest he is "Top 5" but they also suggest Winston is #1 - so stats lie. I think even Daks most ardent supporters would acknowledge that not all stats are 'equal'.

There is no doubt that Dak overachieved based on draft position and he has stepped into one of the biggest jobs in football and handled it gracefully. Handles the media, fans and attention well. By all reports is a good team mate and a good guy/ team mate.

So even I, an anti-Dak, can absolutely agree that he has a lot of the qualities you look for in a QB. I think he is slightly above average. I think he is probably in the 14-18 range in terms of overall QB play. There is enough to work with if Jerry pays him (which I personally believe he will).

However my main objection is that whilst you can win a SB with a 'slightly above average' QB.. it is harder to do so. Having an elite QB is still the best path to SB success in the modern era. A strong D and great QB play will see sustained success.

So lets look at all the list of winning QBs since our last win: Favre, Elway, Warner, Brady, Roethisberger, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, WIlson, Flacco

So yes there have probably been 2-3 'unexpected' wins by less than stellar QBs in the last 23 years.. Foles comes to mind.. but don't kid yourself that is the norm. Great QB play still wins championships and if you honestly think that Dak is anywhere close to the level of guys like Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees, Wilson then good luck to you. Those guys are consistent, proven and reliable quarterbacks. Those guys don't leave their fan bases debating for four years whether a new coach will help them throw open receivers, or not throw behind/wide/high etc. Yes there are debates over whether it is time for them to move on at the END of their careers.. but THEY are what an ELITE QB looks like. The guys that will give you a chance to win no matter the circumstances. Dak is NOT that guy.

So can we win with Dak? Yep absolutely. Is he better than a lot of the trash around the league.. absolutely. Is he good enough to command elite dollars and weaken every other position across the team.. no no and no. That is the issue. If we pay Dak elite money then we will not be able to get the talent we need to win. Simple as that. As such we will not win a Superbowl with Dak as our QB.
Very well stated...I would have to concur!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

The only people debating the negatives of Dak like yourself have absolutely no clue about football. Most of them are the same that said Romo sucked.

cellarrodent

Reaction score
Absolutely horribly stated.
I'd have to disagree! I'm still trying to get acquainted with Dak, now that Romo's gone... Romo was a stellar passer, with a whole lot less, in terms of a supporting cast. Certainly not as good an OL, and definitely not a premier RB. Our D was suspect, and he was forced to be a "gambler" often, in order to keep us in games. As a result, his rep was minimized to the "int's" in inopportune times... But Dak is no Romo! Thus far, he's not the guy that I see coming back from a huge deficit... Alex Smith, he is! Good game manager...

zeke21

Reaction score
The only people debating the negatives of Dak like yourself have absolutely no clue about football. Most of them are the same that said Romo sucked.
Would have to be the first time I've been accused of saying Romo sucked.. I think Romo was an elite level QB.. I think Romo was wasted with years of very very poor defence and a coach with training wheels.

I have strongly and repeatedly stated that Romo could have won a bowl if he hadn't been benched for Dak. Does that cloud my opinion of Dak.. absolutely. I have always viewed Dak through the lens of critical analysis for WHY we replaced an ELITE level QB for him. So far he has done nothing to suggest it was the right move. Nothing to suggest we have improved. Nothing to suggest we are in a better position to challenge for championships .

Romos weaknesses, in the end, were the durability and the interceptions at key times. The interceptions weren't always on him.. but some were. I think he needed to look after the ball a lot better. The durability wasn't an issue early in his career but we had a woeful OLine and he got beat up.. but who knows what would have happened with our Oline play over the last three years being significantly better.

Go and watch some tape of Romo in his prime.. the guy could flat out ball.. and he was often playing without good runners, without top receivers and a defence that routinely gave up the MOST yards and points in NFL records. Even despite all that.. Romo showed he was elite.

But its cool.. I get that Dak is your guy.. and I think we are going to keep having this debate for many years as he will get his monster deal. I promise not to tag you when he is sacked/traded/moved on in two years after achieving absolutely nothing and our new coach works out he is just not that good.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Sao most here value Aikman's opinion, so when he think he's a number 1qb , what do you say?

Aikman changes his mind every damn week. Didn’t he say something about not paying Dak earlier in the year? Didn’t he say “Some QB’s just don’t have it” when talking about Dak earlier in his career? Didn’t he say (or rather imply) that after the Bears loss that Dak had padded his stats? He doesn’t know himself because Dak is so inconsistent. I say nothing to it because he’s the most inconsistent, overrated QB this league has ever seen.