Dak gets rid of the ball fast

SackMaster

Reaction score
I don't agree on him not throwing it away. Knowing where the team is on the field, it should have been in his head that either it's a quick throw or you throw it away. Instead, he held it when there was time to dump it. On the sack against Smith, he had no chance.
That's cool.

I would just hate to see him trying to throw it away when the initial rusher is right behind his throwing arm, one of his offensive lineman are falling into his lead foot, and having ANOTHER 2-3 defenders in his face / right around him.

Those types of situations typically don't work out well for the offense when the QB tries to do to much.

JMHO

Reaction score
I just heard on 105.3 The Fan that Next Gen stats show that Dak gets rid of the ball in 2.39 seconds. That is faster than Herbert, and actually even faster than Brady (2.5 seconds).

Just another indication that Dak is elite.

Best QB’s in the league:

1. Brady
2. Mahomes
3. Rodgers
4. Allen
5. Dak
6. Wilson.

Thank God, that has been one of his biggest flaws over the years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I just heard on 105.3 The Fan that Next Gen stats show that Dak gets rid of the ball in 2.39 seconds. That is faster than Herbert, and actually even faster than Brady (2.5 seconds).

Just another indication that Dak is elite.

Best QB’s in the league:

1. Brady
2. Mahomes
3. Rodgers
4. Allen
5. Dak
6. Wilson.
Damn....that's definitely elite company he's in...I'd switch Allen and Wilson....and hell I don't know what Rodgers is at this point after that first week.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure I agree. It’s an indication that the QB is making quick decisions, which is a good trait.

Its not a bad trait for sure but its more indicative of a short passing game. Just b/c Dak gets rid of the ball faster than Patrick Mahomes does not mean he's a better QB.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how true that is but I wonder if throwing to pro bowl weapons has anything to do with it.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Allen isn’t better than Dak. Not even close. Allen has been terrible this season. He has 1 good year and a lot of not good. Dak >

You may be right. Dak has been much better than Allen so far this year. If that continues for a few more games I’ll move Dak up to #4.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Allen has been disappointing this season. Still early. But not off to a good start.

mqdefault.jpg

I read dead people.

Reactions: JBS

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Not sure I agree. It’s an indication that the QB is making quick decisions, which is a good trait.

In this year's case it has been more game planning that anything. Dak has been able to execute it at a high level, but in the TB game quick, shorter passes were designed to replace the run game to negate TB's run defense and yesterday it was designed to negate the pass rush with a weak right side and a élite rusher. Brilliant game planning from Moore and great ex

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I don't agree on him not throwing it away. Knowing where the team is on the field, it should have been in his head that either it's a quick throw or you throw it away. Instead, he held it when there was time to dump it. On the sack against Smith, he had no chance.

I would have to go back and look at the replay, but I thought Dak was stillin the pocket which wouldlimit how you get rid of the ball.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak releases the ball fast when throwing downfield but often hesitates when passing outside to the flats. It's a habit he really needs to correct.:omg:

There are many plays going outside to the flats when the defensive backs and LBs get some extra time to take off and tackle the RBs in their tracks.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would have to go back and look at the replay, but I thought Dak was stillin the pocket which wouldlimit how you get rid of the ball.

He was. He would have had to throw it out of bounds near a receiver, but the easier pass would have been to just ground it near a dump-off receiver. Since the defense was closing into him, I don't know if he would have had enough room to step into throwing it out of bounds.

Dak's mindset, as a QB who often escapes pressure, isn't tuned to throwing the ball away. He had an opportunity when he was outside the pocket against Tampa Bay to do it, but ate it instead. Romo was the same way. It's something he should work on.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing Dak has in common with Allen and Mahomes currently all 1-1. Frankly all I care about is Dak leading this Dallas Cowboys team. If he can continue to go out and help win games that matters to me. How quick of a release compared to one QB or another is really meaningless. Right now Dak has stepped back into the lineup after missing most of last year and he is looking good that too matters to me.

Beaker42

Reaction score
That’s cool - he still needs to be better in the red zone.

aikemirv

Reaction score
On the sack that took them out of FG range he had an easy out to the right to get out of the pocket. That's my beef. It is a good trait to keep your eyes downfield but he needs to be more aware of the pocket situation.

khiladi

Reaction score
Its not a bad trait for sure but its more indicative of a short passing game. Just b/c Dak gets rid of the ball faster than Patrick Mahomes does not mean he's a better QB.

Andy Dalton was 3-4 on the list after the bye when we were a dropped CeeDee Lamb pass away from the playoffs and zero pass protection. He must be elite too per the criteria of Dak-stans.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

He was, the pocket text book collapsed on him..Bosa got his arm so he could not throw and 2 other OL got beat pretty bad. If he gets it off 50% it may go the other way.