Dak has made $2,723,393 salary for his first 4 years

blueblood70

Reaction score
That’s what Dak Prescott has made so far in the NFL. Even if he signs a 4yr/$36m per year contract - the Cowboys still got an insane bargain over an 8 year span!

That’s just my personal opinion.
lmao not how it works maybe he should have played for batter college, or carried his team in college to a championship, oops he did there nor here yet, so as 4th rounder thats the tough break for salary,, no empathy here..

Sydla

Reaction score
The money/cap hit is spread over 5 years, but the length of contract is still 4. That’s a benefit to the team for signing Wentz before his previous contract expired. The Cowboys weren’t able to make that happen, so they don’t get that benefit, but that doesn’t change the fact the term of the new deal is 4 years. And the reality Is, Wentz may actually have gotten a better deal than Dak is asking for because he got signing bonus money even before his extension kicked in - Dak didn’t get that early Christmas present. Of course, just as the Eagles got a benefit by getting a deal done early, that was a benefit Wentz got for getting a deal done before his contract expired.

Huh?

Wentz (and Goff) essentially signed what were new 6 year contracts. Yes, they were called 4 year extensions but when those extensions were signed, there was a restructure to their 4th and 5th years under their rookie deals. So for all intents and purposes, those were new 6 year deals.

So I am not sure what kind of point you are making. Wentz signed his extension, which was essentially a 6 year deal, and got a signing bonus. Dak will sign his new deal and get a signing bonus then as well.

The Eagles picked up his 5th year option which guaranteed him more than $20MM in 2020. Basically, when he signed his extension after the option was picked up, they restructured that $20MM for 2020 and gave him a signing bonus of like $17MM. Then in 2020, he had a weird option bonus for $30MM that they could spread that out over the remaining 5 years of the contract.

CWR

Reaction score
That’s what Dak Prescott has made so far in the NFL. Even if he signs a 4yr/$36m per year contract - the Cowboys still got an insane bargain over an 8 year span!

I agree, I think its fair to also credit Dallas for much of his success. Had he came into the league with Denver for example who knows what his next contract would look like.

irishline

Reaction score
Look how much we paid Romo. He got market value and at one point his contract was the highest paid. How many playoff games in 10 years. How many playoff games with Dak in 4 years. He is on pace with this team to get more done. So does that mean we are better off than with Romo. I liked Romo.

This is not an indictment of Dak, but at no point was Romo the highest paid QB. In 2014 he was 8th highest (the first year of his last contract). At this point in their respective careers both had the same number of wins but Romo got his team to the playoffs 1 more time.

I do believe Dak will pass Romo on that end, if for no other reason than Garrett is gone. As for his contract, I dont care really so long as we can field a competitive team. I root for whomever is on that field wearing the star. Dak is no exception.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/02/nfl-quarterback-salaries-2014-aaron-rodgers-jay-cutler-matt-schaub

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

what has been paid out over the past in salary is irrelevant. he was a 4th round pick. he got paid what he was supposed to be paid. he could have held out. he didn't. he let his play do the talking. now he is getting his dues....I have been a critic of dak. I am a supporter of dak, because I think he gives us the best chance to win over the next 4 years instead of chasing fools gold and hope to hit the big nugget some how....so what matters is what he gets over the next 4 years.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is not an indictment of Dak, but at no point was Romo the highest paid QB. In 2014 he was 8th highest (the first year of his last contract). At this point in their respective careers both had the same number of wins but Romo got his team to the playoffs 1 more time.

I do believe Dak will pass Romo on that end, if for no other reason than Garrett is gone. As for his contract, I dont care really so long as we can field a competitive team. I root for whomever is on that field wearing the star. Dak is no exception.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/02/nfl-quarterback-salaries-2014-aaron-rodgers-jay-cutler-matt-schaub
My bad. He was the highest paid player in Cowboy history.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh?

Wentz (and Goff) essentially signed what were new 6 year contracts. Yes, they were called 4 year extensions but when those extensions were signed, there was a restructure to their 4th and 5th years under their rookie deals. So for all intents and purposes, those were new 6 year deals.

So I am not sure what kind of point you are making. Wentz signed his extension, which was essentially a 6 year deal, and got a signing bonus. Dak will sign his new deal and get a signing bonus then as well.

The Eagles picked up his 5th year option which guaranteed him more than $20MM in 2020. Basically, when he signed his extension after the option was picked up, they restructured that $20MM for 2020 and gave him a signing bonus of like $17MM. Then in 2020, he had a weird option bonus for $30MM that they could spread that out over the remaining 5 years of the contract.
No, they didn't essentially sign 6 year contracts. They signed 4 year extensions. The fact signing bonus can be paid before the 4 year extension kicks in doesn't change that. The timing of payments is not the same as the term of the deal. A signing bonus is a money paid in exchange signing the extension deal, not in exchange for playing years they are already under contract to play.

By your thinking, if I sign a 12 month lease on some office space, but pay a deposit equal to the first and last month's rent 2 months in advance in order to lock in my spot, that makes the lease a 14 month lease. That's wrong because all I'm getting is use of the office for 12 months. The fact that I make payments over 14 months doesn't change the fact that what I am paying for and what I am receiving is use of the office space for 12 months.

cern

Reaction score
Funny how you weren't complaining about the team record at 13-3, 9-7, and 10-6. Ironic how the team record is so important to you after 3 years all of a sudden.
Pointing out facts isn't complaining. My meaning was clear, ergo no irony.

cern

Reaction score
No, they didn't essentially sign 6 year contracts. They signed 4 year extensions. The fact signing bonus can be paid before the 4 year extension kicks in doesn't change that. The timing of payments is not the same as the term of the deal. A signing bonus is a money paid in exchange signing the extension deal, not in exchange for playing years they are already under contract to play.

By your thinking, if I sign a 12 month lease on some office space, but pay a deposit equal to the first and last month's rent 2 months in advance in order to lock in my spot, that makes the lease a 14 month lease. That's wrong because all I'm getting is use of the office for 12 months. The fact that I make payments over 14 months doesn't change the fact that what I am paying for and what I am receiving is use of the office space for 12 months.
I believe your logic is just lost on that individual. You've said it as well as it can be said, but all for naught.

BigD_95

Reaction score
They owe him!! Pay the man!!

why? Maybe he shouldnt have been arrested and played at a higher level in college and he would have been drafted higher. The players agreed to the rookie contract . And its not like he didnt make millions in endorsements being the starting QB from the Cowboys.

But I do agree they should pay the man. But I say he deserves to be paid. They dont owe him because of his rookie contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, they didn't essentially sign 6 year contracts. They signed 4 year extensions. The fact that signing bonus can be paid before the 4 year extension kicks in doesn't change that. A signing bonus is a money paid in exchange signing the extension deal, not in exchange for playing years they are already under contract to play.

By your thinking, if I sign a 12 month lease on some office space, but pay the first and last month's rent 2 months in advance in order to lock in my spot, that makes the lease a 14 month lease. That's wrong because all I'm getting is use of the office for 12 months. The fact that I make payments over 14 months doesn't change the fact that what I am paying for and what I am receiving is use of the office space for 12 months.

That analogy is really poor.

If what Wentz signed was a true 4 year extension tacked on behind the last two years on his rookie deal, he would have played under the terms of that rookie deal. But he didn't. The 4th and 5th years of his rookie deal were restructured. You can pretend that didn't happen, but in fact, it did. When the Eagles picked up his 5th year option in April of 2019, that locked them into owing/guaranteeing him $22MM in 2020. His cap hit in 2020 would have been that $22MM plus whatever residual bonus money was prorated. But when he then signed his "extension" in June 2019, his 4th and 5th years on his rookie deal were re-worked. His cap hit, for example, in 2020 went from over $22MM to 18.5MM.

Further, the majority of his bonus money wasn't paid when he signed the extension. He got a $16MM signing bonus, but then the way the Eagles worked the contract, they then created an option bonus for 2020 for $30MM that he was paid this year. So what they have created was a $16MM signing bonus that they spread out from 2019-2023 and then an option bonus of $30MM paid this year that spread out from 2020-2024. And the cash payments confirm this. In 2019, when he signed the extension, he pocketed $17MM in cash (base salary of $720M - from his rookie deal plus the $16MM signing bonus). Then in 2020, he will pocket close to $40MM ($30MM option bonus, a $8MM option bonus and his base salary of $1.4MM). If he was simply playing out his rookie contract and then had the extension kick in, his base salary in 2020 would have been around $22MM, not $1.4MM.

So when you know the details of the extension, it's clearly not a standard extension simply tacked on after the remaining two years of his rookie deal. With the extension, they made material changes to the last two years of his rookie deal basically creating a new 6 year contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
I believe your logic is just lost on that individual. You've said it as well as it can be said, but all for naught.

Because it's not very good logic.

The signing bonus is paid because Wentz signed an "extension" that also materially changed the current rookie contract he was still on. And despite what Omer claims, Wentz wasn't even paid a huge signing bonus when he signed his extension. The Eagles gave him a decent signing bonus of $16MM but then created an "option" bonus to be paid later for $30MM. It allowed them to use that 6 year to shift more cap costs. Signing bonuses can only be spread over the first 5 years of the contract. So what Philly did and Wentz agreed to, was shift a bulk of what would have been a signing bonus, into the 2nd year, so then the Eagles could spread $6MM in prorated bonuses into the 6th cap year. This also gives insight into why Dallas wants a 5th year. More years allows them more flexibility for the cap.

So to say Wentz gets a better deal because he got his bonus before his extension kicked in is a bizarre argument to make. He got his bonuses in exchange for restructuring his existing deal and adding 4 years to it.

The problem is people get hung up on the word "extension". A pure extension is just taking on a new contract at the end of an old one and nothing changes. But that's not what happened here. Wentz didn't play out the terms on his rookie deal and then have the extension kick in. His last two years of his rookie deal were changed. Hence, for all intents and purposes, Wentz signed what was a new 6 year contract.

Last edited:

foofighters

Reaction score
They owe him!! Pay the man!!
Owe him what? That contract was part of the CB. Also, how much did Dak make as the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys in advertising? How much does the Cowboys QB make in endorsements versus other QB's? Let me know that before you just start vomiting statements...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have nothing against a player getting top dollar.
That is why I mentioned his agent helping to put him in
position to get exactly that.

I can only imagine the call he received from his agent essentially telling
Dak to shut up after he had came out and said he didn't feel like he deserved
to be highest paid early last season...lol

Probably something along the lines of "you're messing with my commission."

My position on the Dak saga is pretty much "I don't have one."
I'm going to watch every game no matter who the players are.

Watching people be furious or joyous over money is hilarious. I can't believe none of these guys are sports agents. SO many experts.
I suppose it's a fun exercise for some...but people actually get worked up about it.

Ah...the good old days....before the internet and so many exerts...when you could just watch football and cheer on all the players on your team.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look how much we paid Romo. He got market value and at one point his contract was the highest paid. How many playoff games in 10 years. How many playoff games with Dak in 4 years. He is on pace with this team to get more done. So does that mean we are better off than with Romo. I liked Romo.

You don;t remember how furious people were with that contract? Some still are.

Romo won a lot of games on his courage and efforts.

fredp22

Reaction score
how can anyone expect a 26 year old 4th round pick to get by on a measly 2.7 million a year. True in 1970 they only made the equivalent of 150,000 in today's money but this isnt 1970 damn it