Dak has made $2,723,393 salary for his first 4 years

tyke1doe

Reaction score
srsly.jpg
:lmao:

I almost spit my juice out when I scrolled your picture. :lmao2:

Sydla

Reaction score
I believe your logic is just lost on that individual. You've said it as well as it can be said, but all for naught.

Let's use his lease example.

I am a tenant in a building with a 12 month lease. In the 10th month, the landlord approaches me and says he would like me to sign a long term 36 month lease. He says in order to get me to sign a new lease, here's what I am going to do............ I will lower your rent for the 11th and 12th months and give you back half your original security deposit. I agree. What I have done is not sign just a 12 month extension, I have basically signed a new 38 month lease because the terms of my old lease no longer really apply anymore. They've been overwritten by the new lease payment terms for months 11-12 as well as the return of my security deposit.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Very true.

Dak has played great and produced much more than he has been compensated for.

On the flipside though, if Dallas got only 1 playoff with him on that bargain deal, how will they get more than that when Dak is taking up a significant percentage of the cap?

That's what concerns me.
This gets to the heart of understanding as a fan what this all means for us.

I have no concern about how much Dak gets. I do have concern with how this affects the DTR.

But I do not have the resources the team must have to make it's decisions. Right or wrong, we are heading into uncharted territory.

We shall learn as we go.

ondaedg

Reaction score
That it is. Ergo, salaries need to take into account the whole team, not just one individual.

He had a tiny salary and we still had the league's worst special teams. And almost set the record for worst kick return avg in league.history even.

cern

Reaction score
Because it's not very good logic.

The signing bonus is paid because Wentz signed an "extension" that also materially changed the current rookie contract he was still on. And despite what Omer claims, Wentz wasn't even paid a huge signing bonus when he signed his extension. The Eagles gave him a decent signing bonus of $16MM but then created an "option" bonus to be paid later for $30MM. It allowed them to use that 6 year to shift more cap costs. Signing bonuses can only be spread over the first 5 years of the contract. So what Philly did and Wentz agreed to, was shift a bulk of what would have been a signing bonus, into the 2nd year, so then the Eagles could spread $6MM in prorated bonuses into the 6th cap year. This also gives insight into why Dallas wants a 5th year. More years allows them more flexibility for the cap.

So to say Wentz gets a better deal because he got his bonus before his extension kicked in is a bizarre argument to make. He got his bonuses in exchange for restructuring his existing deal and adding 4 years to it.

The problem is people get hung up on the word "extension". A pure extension is just taking on a new contract at the end of an old one and nothing changes. But that's not what happened here. Wentz didn't play out the terms on his rookie deal and then have the extension kick in. His last two years of his rookie deal were changed. Hence, for all intents and purposes, Wentz signed what was a new 6 year contract.
You have simply redefined his extension to fit your narrative. By every legal definition of his new deal it is an extension to his original deal. The manipulation of the finances in no way change that fact. Just a smart move by the eagles.

cern

Reaction score
He had a tiny salary and we still had the league's worst special teams. And almost set the record for worst kick return avg in league.history even.
Hence the need to have more cap money to upgrade other positions. The biggest problem, poor coaching, has been changed. On paper we're already a better team by last year. Dak's money for this year has been taken into account.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That analogy is really poor.

If what Wentz signed was a true 4 year extension tacked on behind the last two years on his rookie deal, he would have played under the terms of that rookie deal. But he didn't. The 4th and 5th years of his rookie deal were restructured. You can pretend that didn't happen, but in fact, it did. When the Eagles picked up his 5th year option in April of 2019, that locked them into owing/guaranteeing him $22MM in 2020. His cap hit in 2020 would have been that $22MM plus whatever residual bonus money was prorated. But when he then signed his "extension" in June 2019, his 4th and 5th years on his rookie deal were re-worked. His cap hit, for example, in 2020 went from over $22MM to 18.5MM.

Further, the majority of his bonus money wasn't paid when he signed the extension. He got a $16MM signing bonus, but then the way the Eagles worked the contract, they then created an option bonus for 2020 for $30MM that he was paid this year. So what they have created was a $16MM signing bonus that they spread out from 2019-2023 and then an option bonus of $30MM paid this year that spread out from 2020-2024. And the cash payments confirm this. In 2019, when he signed the extension, he pocketed $17MM in cash (base salary of $720M - from his rookie deal plus the $16MM signing bonus). Then in 2020, he will pocket close to $40MM ($30MM option bonus, a $8MM option bonus and his base salary of $1.4MM). If he was simply playing out his rookie contract and then had the extension kick in, his base salary in 2020 would have been around $22MM, not $1.4MM.

So when you know the details of the extension, it's clearly not a standard extension simply tacked on after the remaining two years of his rookie deal. With the extension, they made material changes to the last two years of his rookie deal basically creating a new 6 year contract.

Again, cap hit, and term, are not the same thing. You are talking about timing of payments, not the number of years being paid for.

The reality is, the Eagles had Wentz locked in on his rookie deal through 2020, and now have him locked in through 2024, which is an additional 4 years, and what the Eagles were paying for to get from Wentz.

That was the whole point of the extension - the Eagles didn't agree to pay Wentz all that money to play the remaining 2 years on his contract, they paid to get Wentz locked in for 4 years beyond what he would otherwise be locked in for.

Hell, even if you want to call it a restructure rather than an extension, that doesn't change the fact that what the team is paying for and accomplished with the new deal was an additional 4 years above what they already had Wentz committed to.

They didn't pay the money to get 5 additional years or 6 additional years, they paid to get 4 additional years, and that's what Dak reportedly wants the Cowboys to pay for - 4 additional years.

JoaquinFenix

Reaction score
That’s what Dak Prescott has made so far in the NFL. Even if he signs a 4yr/$36m per year contract - the Cowboys still got an insane bargain over an 8 year span!

That’s just my personal opinion.
Yeah, that's not how any of this works.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
They owe him!! Pay the man!!

First, they paid him what they were supposed to pay him for a 4th round pick/rookie contract. They don't "owe" him anything.
Second, it's easy to say "Pay the man", but how much does "Pay the man" mean to you? 35m per year? 40? More?

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, cap hit, and term, are not the same thing. You are talking about timing of payments, not the number of years being paid for.

The reality is, the Eagles had Wentz locked in on his rookie deal through 2020, and now have him locked in through 2024, which is an additional 4 years, and what the Eagles were paying for to get from Wentz.

That was the whole point of the extension - the Eagles didn't agree to pay Wentz all that money to play the remaining 2 years on his contract, they paid to get Wentz locked in for 4 years beyond what he would otherwise be locked in for.

Hell, even if you want to call it a restructure rather than an extension, that doesn't change the fact that what the team is paying for and accomplished with the new deal was an additional 4 years above what they already had Wentz committed to.

They didn't pay the money to get 5 additional years or 6 additional years, they paid to get 4 additional years, and that's what Dak reportedly wants the Cowboys to pay for - 4 additional years.

You were the one who introduced timing when you claimed Wentz gets some benefit that Dak won't because he got his bonus money before the extension kicked in. He got his bonus money because the last two years of his contract were basically ripped up (including a guaranteed $23MM pay day in 2020) and restated along with an additional four years.

VACowboy

Reaction score
According to a lot of people here Dak wants the Cowboys to pay for four additional years as well as the past four years he was paid like a fourth-round draft pick, which he was.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You were the one who introduced timing when you claimed Wentz gets some benefit that Dak won't because he got his bonus money before the extension kicked in. He got his bonus money because the last two years of his contract were basically ripped up (including a guaranteed $23MM pay day in 2020) and restated along with an additional four years.
Yes, I did talk about timing - for the purpose of distinguishIng it from term.

ask yourself these two questions ...

1. What did the Eagles get in Wentz’s new deal they didn’t already have?
2. What did Wentz commit to in the new deal that he hadn’t already committed to?

The answer to both questions is 4 years. Those 4 years are what the team didn’t already have, and what Wentz wasn’t already committed to. The Eagles didn’t pay big money to get what they already had, and Wentz isn’t getting paid big money to commit to years he was already committed to. The additional 4 years was what the deal was for.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, I did talk about timing - for the purpose of distinguishIng it from term.

ask yourself these two questions ...

1. What did the Eagles get in Wentz’s new deal they didn’t already have?
2. What did Wentz commit to in the new deal that he hadn’t already committed to?

The answer to both questions is 4 years. Those 4 years are what the team didn’t already have, and what Wentz wasn’t already committed to. The Eagles didn’t pay big money to get what they already had, and Wentz isn’t getting paid big money to commit to years he was already committed to. The additional 4 years was what the deal was for.

There are horrible rationalizations and the questions don't matter because timing is a key factor here. The Eagles got 6 years of control to spread the cap hit and manage the cap. Wentz ideally wanted less so he could hit FA quicker and cash in. The Eagles paid a premium to get 6 years of cap control AND restructure the $23MM+ they were already on the hook guaranteed to Wentz if they didn't give him a new contract.

Dak basically wants all the benefits of what Wentz got (money) but doesn't want the reality of having to give up some years of control to get it.

Wentz got X dollars to give control to the Eagles for 6 years. Dak basically wants the same X dollars but only give up 4 years of control. In no way does this make sense. If he wants 4 years, then he shouldn't get the same guarantees that Wentz (or Goff) got.

Polkton31

Reaction score
The funny thing about this... Half the people saying the Cowboys owe Dak nothing... are the same people saying Dak should sign for less out of loyalty to the star, and for the benefits of playing on America's Team.
I agree... the Cowboys owe Dak nothing. BUT... The flip side of that coin is... Dak owes the Cowboys nothing. There was a contract signed... Both sides fulfilled their obligations... Now they need to come to an agreement on a new contract.
This talk about Dak taking a team friendly deal, is nonsense. It's his first, and could be his last, big Payday. Every time these players take the field, they risk being permanently injured or disabled. At that point, their career and any future endorsement deals are gone. I say, Dak should get get everything he can. Him and his agent are idiots if they don't.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And had some stinkers. Throwing those 3 int games.

Sure. That's what happens when your defense can't make a stop. You have ot keep going out there gun slinging it.

(I actually don't remember all of those oh-so-many "3 int games"....too long ago, I do remember a couple times going to bed VERY late on a Sunday/Monday night in a foul mood. But yeah....Romo screwed up trying to get the team back....took some big risks and a lot of heat. It's what I don't see Dak doing...putting himself out there, taking the risks along with rewards. I suppose in the end...the TEAM results are the same.)

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The funny thing about this... Half the people saying the Cowboys owe Dak nothing... are the same people saying Dak should sign for less out of loyalty to the star, and for the benefits of playing on America's Team.
I agree... the Cowboys owe Dak nothing. BUT... The flip side of that coin is... Dak owes the Cowboys nothing. There was a contract signed... Both sides fulfilled their obligations... Now they need to come to an agreement on a new contract.
This talk about Dak taking a team friendly deal, is nonsense. It's his first, and could be his last, big Payday. Every time these players take the field, they risk being permanently injured or disabled. At that point, their career and any future endorsement deals are gone. I say, Dak should get get everything he can. Him and his agent are idiots if they don't.

You had me...I mean really did have me...until the nonsense about "risk". By all means get what you can!.... but heaven forbid they'd have to get a street job like the rest of us. Poor dears.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sure. That's what happens when your defense can't make a stop. You have ot keep going out there gun slinging it.

(I actually don't remember all of those oh-so-many "3 int games"....too long ago, I do remember a couple times going to bed VERY late on a Sunday/Monday night in a foul mood. But yeah....Romo screwed up trying to get the team back....took some big risks and a lot of heat. It's what I don't see Dak doing...putting himself out there, taking the risks along with rewards. I suppose in the end...the TEAM results are the same.)
Would you rather have someone that lays down like a sick dog or plays conservative. Some exciting ending to games I remember. And some pass out in my chair right after games to.