Twitter: Dak is still working with Jon Kitna

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We will see. It won’t take long to see if this is the same old Offense or something different. I am thinking we will see the same motion and things we saw in those first 3 games last season. Maybe use the TE on more plays like MM used to. I just want us to still use that run game.

It will a combo of Moore's and MM's. I think 3 WR set is the staple and we see more 4 and even 5 WR sets then we did last year. More of a spread offense. Garrett was all about the TE's and jumbo formations. I see more spread running. I see no way that we don't do a lot of running.

Its one of the reasons why TE is no longer such a big priority. Jarwin is now the #1 guy and he cant block to save his life. They only need a TE like Bell to throw in for some GL stuff and a few jumbo or short yardage packages.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree.
The best QBs don' t play timid. They are willing to risk an int at times to get the big play. Not carelessly, but strategically vs just protecting a QB rating.
It's so hard to continuously methodically march down the field in today's NFL. Sustained drives are fantastic and it's great to put together some every game to get control, but virtually all the stats show the teams with the big-chunk plays win the most often.
Must regularly (not always) go for the jugular when the opportunity presents itself.

Kitna is teaching Dak that, and he is learning...imo

TD-Int differential is more important than just low int.
Dak was a nice +19 last year.
  • +9 in 2017 (not good)
  • +14 in 2018 (ok, so-so)
  • +19 in 2019 (good!)

I think his rookie season in 2016 was really good as well, but I think he had to grow as a passer and I saw encouraging signs of just that in 2019.How a quarterback that has the statistics that Prescott has to this point still gets such questioning and criticism is baffling to me. It has zero support and makes zero sense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think his rookie season in 2016 was really good as well, but I think he had to grow as a passer and I saw encouraging signs of just that in 2019.How a quarterback that has the statistics that Prescott has to this point still gets such questioning and criticism is baffling to me. It has zero support and makes zero sense.
Yeah, his ratio was great his rookie year. I think that had a ton to do with him and Zeke taking the league by storm. Everything went right.
What I liked was that even after everyone knew exactly who he was and adjusted to how to defend him, he first regressed (as most would) then has shown steady growth in the last three years.
Says a lot about his dedication to improving.
And, contrary to what some think, it might tell us he's got more upside yet to come.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agree.
The best QBs don' t play timid. They are willing to risk an int at times to get the big play. Not carelessly, but strategically vs just protecting a QB rating.
It's so hard to continuously methodically march down the field in today's NFL. Sustained drives are fantastic and it's great to put together some every game to get control, but virtually all the stats show the teams with the big-chunk plays win the most often.
Must regularly (not always) go for the jugular when the opportunity presents itself.

Kitna is teaching Dak that, and he is learning...imo

TD-Int differential is more important than just low int.
Dak was a nice +19 last year.
  • +9 in 2017 (not good)
  • +14 in 2018 (ok, so-so)
  • +19 in 2019 (good!)

That is total Garbage. A good QB manages where and when he takes his risks. Worst thing a QB can do is throw a pick. Having confidence and taking some risks is a necessity, but you don't simply throw the ball up trying to make a play and not worry about picks.

You are analyzing the score, the time of game, flow of the game, defense of your team, other team, who you are throwing to, who you are throwing against, ect…..ect….

Romo was a text book example of a guy that managed the game poorly. He was ALWAYS trying to make the big play regardless, even if we were up 23 points in the 2nd half.

This is the part that Dak does much much better than Romo ever did. What Dak needed to work on was throwing the ball away when nothing is there like Brady does. He seemed to improve on that last season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, his ratio was great his rookie year. I think that had a ton to do with him and Zeke taking the league by storm. Everything went right.
What I liked was that even after everyone knew exactly who he was and adjusted to how to defend him, he first regressed (as most would) then has shown steady growth in the last three years.
Says a lot about his dedication to improving.
And, contrary to what some think, it might tell us he's got more upside yet to come.

I think the arrow has and continues to trend upwards. I'm not practicing willful ignorance and pretending not to see that. I'll leave that foolishness to others.

cern

Reaction score
What i gleaned is dak is working to improve himself, but not the team. Or so it would seem.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Its make zero sense and its not real. Its fabricated biased hatred simply because most of them cant admit they were wrong.

The other 20% are just trolls looking for attention.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think the arrow has and continues to trend upwards. I'm not practicing willful ignorance and pretending not to see that. I'll leave that foolishness to others.
There will probably always be something to nitpick. That's what fans do.

For example....That TD-int differential of 19 last year was good, but many will point out that a whopping 15 of those came vs the bottom-dwelling Giants, Commanders, and Lions. (6 Giants, 6 Skins, 3 Lions)
But watching the player, I think its clear is improving.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Just cleaning up a bit by moving this thread to the top with ALL the other consecutive Dak threads. :muttley:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not retaining Kitna was the one move McCarthy made that I was disappointed in. Glad to see him and Dak are still working together this offseason.
I didn't get that either. I didn't get the receivers coach either though they lead the league in drops so I guess there's a argument for that. But you have 3 wide receivers with over 3k yards?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Maybe this is the maturation of MM as a HC. Going away from being offensive coordinator that also is the HC and focuses on being a walk around HC for the most part.

Walk around like Jimmy told Garrett to walk around. Garrett ignored that advice for 3-4 years like he ignored watching the clock during games, running the ball inside the 5 yard line with a 230 pound QB and leading rusher in the NFL at RB, the TE position after Witten retired, and like he ignored anything that Jimmy Johnson and Nick Saban showed him about coaching.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

I think it's great. Dak made strides under Kitna's tutelage. But...Doug Nussmeier (employed by the Cowboys as QB coach) must be feeling some kind of way.

Good, I think Kitna did a great job with Dak last year. His footwork and release were much better. The next step I would love to see is reading defenses, anticipation and throwing recievers open.