Dak lost a couple of steps

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Only a few things you need to be fast at to be a great QB Read the defense locate the target deliver

Yeah Brady and Manning are two of the best to ever do it.. Neither of them could ever outrun me.. and I'm 61.. QB's need fast brains and fast releases.. Fast legs are a nice to have but clearly not a necessity.. That said, the threat of being able to run is always a nice weapon to have in a QB's arsenal.. but as I have said many times.. as guys mature in the game and get smarter they are always going to run less .. because they will see the field and anticipate better and simply will not need to. I struggle to figure out why this is hard for people to understand.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I don't know if he has lost steps or is just being careful running ....... That was a gruesome injury he just recovered from.

CWR

Reaction score
As far as scrambling. This isn't a knock Dak thread but there where a couple of times where he normally would have outrun a guy or turned the corner on another but he got caught. I could see it and it sucks cause it was a nice little extra weapon to use when everyone is covered. Hope he gains his mobility back or at least around 90% but thursday night he looked like mobility wise he was only around 60-70% what he used to be.

Still getting his legs under him. I doubt he's lost much, if any steps.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
As far as scrambling. This isn't a knock Dak thread but there where a couple of times where he normally would have outrun a guy or turned the corner on another but he got caught. I could see it and it sucks cause it was a nice little extra weapon to use when everyone is covered. Hope he gains his mobility back or at least around 90% but thursday night he looked like mobility wise he was only around 60-70% what he used to be.
I thought I was imagining it, but he did look quite a bit slower than before. Hopefully, this improves over time as he continues to recover from last season's injury. Big injuries often take 2 years to get back to normal.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Dak had much better pocket presence this game than he normally does, though he also had really good blocking up front.
Surprisingly. Though I won't say it was 2016 easy for him. It was a tough pocket. I was really thrilled to see him stand there through it, and throw the ball. A BIG step up for him.

Cebrin

Reaction score
It's a fact. He got caught multiple times when scrambling because he's not the same after the injury. Similar plays prior to the injury he would get the first and he just looks more limited. Can't help if you don't see it, the simple minded don't usually.
Or we just played a top 5 D and almost came out with a double U "W".

fansince68

Reaction score
Yes, he has gradually lost some "nimbleness" since his college days. He runs like his shoes are too big for his feet. He's definitely not Kyler Murray but Dak was a lot less clumsy his rookie season.

Flamma

Reaction score

Stop! Are you serious here? Outside of that, Dak was always a pocket passer. Think similar to Tony Romo. Pocket passer that moves around a lot.

Nav22

Reaction score
Totally disagree. Dak’s all grit and has never been a speed demon in terms of running ability. He’s actually pretty slow compared to the QBs who have serious wheels.

I’m not sure he’ll ever really “protect himself” as a runner. His nature is to try to get as many yards and go through as many defenders as he can.

Brax

Reaction score
Well I don’t think he has lost a step at all. And if you know anything about broken bones you would know that you end up stronger. He’s just playing smarter. He said a month or so ago that he was going to play smarter. Not go all out running like in the past, on 1st and 2nd down. That’s what you’re seeing and not him losing a step.
THE BOTTOM LINE Healed bones are not stronger than they were before a fracture.
Does a Broken Bone Become Stronger After It Heals? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd think a fair judgment of Dak's speed would best be tested next year, rather than right now. It's still early yet in his recovery.
An ankle injury like the one he had takes a significant amount of time to fully recover from! Another year should do it.:omg:

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Looked cautious but overall ran fine.....
The dude was never Vick, to begin with.

blueblood70

Reaction score
no he didn't

hes always been a lumbering runner , want proof a good example is the paly he got inured on..didn't run by anyone and got his ankle broke..and once again do fans need reminder that TBs defense doesn't get run on they are fast, tough, and in the right spots..

wrong game to make judgement on..hes passing qb always has been and just each year hes become better passer a hes run less as there no need too..