Dak more comfortable with the deep ball

pansophy

Reaction score
I've been wanting to see Dak throw more intermediate balls to the sideline to prevent defenses just clogging the middle. Perhaps deep go routes will accomplish the same thing if safeties then have to provide deep sideline help. It's a throw Dak has already shown he can make and if he has improved in this area even better. More speed at WR will help that a lot too.

It may be no mistake that Dak threw two short passes and a go route for a TD. If that's the plan then perhaps we have found some schemes that don't require Dak to make throws he is least comfortable with.

That could be a winning formula. Looking forward to tonight.

erod

Reaction score
Aka, you have no source.

Nate Newton, Daryl Johnston, Brian Broaddus, Michael Irvin, Mayock, Jeremiah, pretty much everyone on the NFL Network, etc, etc, etc, etc.

How do you miss this?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Nate Newton, Daryl Johnston, Brian Broaddus, Michael Irvin, Mayock, Jeremiah, pretty much everyone on the NFL Network, etc, etc, etc, etc.

How do you miss this?

I haven’t heard any of them say he “struggled mightily”. Needs to improve? Sure. But “struggled mightily”. Never heard it.

And there is a big difference between saying somebody needs to improve an aspect of their game and saying they “struggled mightily”

erod

Reaction score
I haven’t heard any of them say he “struggled mightily”. Needs to improve? Sure. But “struggled mightily”. Never heard it.

And there is a big difference between saying somebody needs to improve an aspect of their game and saying they “struggled mightily”
He threw one touchdown pass last year that traveled 30 yards in the air. He rarely broke 200 yards passing.

That is struggling mightily.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He threw one touchdown pass last year that traveled 30 yards in the air. He rarely broke 200 yards passing.

Dak Passed for over 200 yards in 6 of the first 8 games before the Zeke suspension and Tyron injury.

The Cowboys went 5-3 and that includes giving the Rams game away.

They scored 226 points or 28.25 per game in that stretch.

I'll take that all day every day if the Cowboys are winning.

Struggled mightily? Not only no but heck no. Dak and the Cowboys were rolling.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Dak Passed for over 200 yards in 6 of the first 8 games before the Zeke suspension and Tyron injury.

The Cowboys went 5-3 and that includes giving the Rams game away.

They scored 226 points or 28.25 per game in that stretch.

I'll take that all day every day if the Cowboys are winning.

Struggled mightily? Not only no but heck no. Dak and the Cowboys were rolling.
I felt we were playing our best ball of the year during the KC game. Then Zeke got suspended and it all fell apart.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Ive also heard those same guys you “quoted” place a lot of blame on the o-line. Nate Newton himself said immediately after the Atlanta game that subjecting Dak to such a beating was going to cause problems.

I’ve also heard Broaddus say the receivers weren’t getting open consistently enough.

I’ve never heard them say the offensive problems were solely on Dak “struggling mightily”. But rather, the offense as a whole. Which includes Dak. But isn’t a knock solely against him.

Blake

Reaction score

Yes, but your contention is that "expert sources" are making this claim. This is false.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
How many touchdowns did Dak throw last year of 30+ yards?

Two.

Wrong, he had four of them.

It's commonly accepted knowledge that Dak is poor at getting the ball downfield on target consistently.

Every quarterback is poor at getting the ball downfield on target consistently, which is why the completion percentages are so low. But Dak is more accurate than most quarterbacks on those throws. Multiple sources have shown that his accuracy on deep passes last season was near the top of the league.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Lets not act like Dak had 2 horrible seasons ... he's been pretty good ... he deserve's a chance to see what he can do with Zeke for a full season and no Dez yapping at him. I'm totally behind Dak as QB.

kento40

Reaction score
I'm definitely what you guys and gals would call a Dak hater. What I will concede to is this though, Dak is pretty damn good when he's allowed to spread the ball around so I will use that as a symbol of hope for him this season. I still think he's captain checkdown, but if he's checking down to a beast like Zeke or a speedster like Austin (as long as he's not going fumble crazy,) I'm ok with it because then the deep ball should open up and he can try to prove his detractors wrong.