Dak most under appreciated QB in the NFL

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t go into all of the Dak threads but I don’t see a lot of “ Dak sucks” threads and post. I see much criticism. Which some is valid and some appears a little over the top. More seem to be doubtful. This appears to be more like the perils we had for years with Romo.

There's only a few. Very vocal...but a few. And a lot of people get casually lumped in with them just for speaking critically. (as defined above)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don’t go into all of the Dak threads but I don’t see a lot of “ Dak sucks” threads and post. I see much criticism. Which some is valid and some appears a little over the top. More seem to be doubtful. This appears to be more like the perils we had for years with Romo.
You must not read many threads.

Redline360

Reaction score
Almost everyone agrees Dak is an above average quarterback but not elite.

The debate is what he's worth. Some see his stats and think hes some type of wonder kid the aka "Pay Dak" crowd. Most logical media people look into the bigger picture and know hes surrounded by massive talent at almost every position. The offense is going to put up massive numbers as they are arguably in the top 5 or 6 in football. Don't get me wrong in saying Dak gets no credit for it, he is the damn quarterback after all however one can't overlook the talent he has had the pleasure to play with his entire career.

Sadly Daks career is slowly turning into Romo 2.0. Great player with awesome stats but gets looked down upon by his season & post season success when the defense has been the Achilles heel since forever.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The debate is what he's worth. Some see his stats and think hes some type of wonder kid the aka "Pay Dak" crowd. Most logical media people look into the bigger picture and know hes surrounded by massive talent at almost every position. The offense is going to put up massive numbers as they are arguably in the top 5 or 6 in football. Don't get me wrong in saying Dak gets no credit for it, he is the damn quarterback after all however one can't overlook the talent he has had the pleasure to play with his entire career.

Sadly Daks career is slowly turning into Romo 2.0. Great player with awesome stats but gets looked down upon by his season & post season success when the defense has been the Achilles heal since forever.
:thumbup:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Okay, okay...…….So there are all these so called experts out there who think Dak is an above average QB, well let's talk about all the EXPERTS who picked the Cowboys to go deep into the playoffs, with some picking them to go to the Super Bowl this past year. I'm here to tell ya that these so called experts don't know squat. Dak had a great year picking apart weak teams and getting a lot of his yardage when teams played prevent defense because they had leads on the Boys. As great as Dak's stats where last season there are still many many questions unanswered about his game. The big elephant in the room is why can't Dak elevate his game against teams with above average records? Until JJ gets this question answered then he has to stick to his guns in these contract negotiations. If Dak ends up being a one done after this season then so be it, JJ can't bet the farm on stats...………..

dfense

Reaction score
I can disappear for a month and the first post I see is the same rehashed talking points. It's like you have the same takes every day for the same subject but you just reword it and send it out.

I cannot spell the sound of me pulling my eyes out. Please let this season begin to end this off-season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Sadly Daks career is slowly turning into Romo 2.0. Great player with awesome stats but gets looked down upon by his season & post season success when the defense has been the Achilles heel since forever.
Almost everyone believes Dak is now borderline elite and will become elite this year barring injury.

khiladi

Reaction score
Well! That one week against the Vikings... Like band camp.

Vikings were one of the best defenses in the league. Dallas averaged 3.2 seconds of time for Dak. If you look at it, Dak had plenty of time on third down especially, with the Vikings committed to stopping the run. In the second quarter, Dak hit Cooper on a third and 12 for 20 yards, Michael Gallup on a third and 15 and Jarwin for 26 on a third and 3 and Cobb for 22 on a 3rd and 7. Dak had all day to throw on third down in particular and got big chunks on the Vikings defense.

The Cowboys OL completely shut down AD, the best defensive player in the league, and the Rams front line this year.

According to this ESPN stat, Dallas was ranked 11th in team pass block win rate. They claim there stat is based on how long a pass rusher can sustain his block for 2.5 seconds or longer.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

And Dak is TOP 3 in the league in time to throw, at 2.88 seconds according to Next Gen Stard.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing

They were ranked at minimum third by Football Outsiders in pass and run blocking overall. I’m not sure how ‘long developing pass plays’, without specifically defining them even means and I’m not sure anybody else here does either. If you read the article, a lot of it amounts to time AFTER the WR routes have ended based on how I understood whatever I skimmed through from the article. It also could be that the QB holds on to the ball way too long, which is a problem of Dak that was obvious in his second read drop in performance.

And our problems were not deep passing plays last year and should have never really been a problem, considering how much man outside and one safety Dak sees or has seen throughout his career. And deep passing plays shouldn’t be confused with long developing, because the deep adding play could be the first read.

Last edited:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Vikings were one of the best defenses in the league. Dallas averaged 3.2 seconds of time for Dak. If you look at it, Dak had plenty of time on third down especially, with the Vikings committed to stopping the run. In the second quarter, Dak hit Cooper on a third and 12 for 20 yards, Michael Gallup on a third and 15 and Jarwin for 26 on a third and 3 and Cobb for 22 on a 3rd and 7. Dak had all day to throw on third down in particular and got big chunks on the Vikings defense.

The Cowboys OL completely shut down AD, the best defensive player in the league, and the Rams front line this year.

According to this ESPN stat, Dallas was ranked 11th in team pass block win rate. They claim there stat is based on how long a pass rusher can sustain his block for 2.5 seconds or longer.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

And Dak is TOP 3 in the league in time to throw, at 2.88 seconds according to Next Gen Stard.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing

They were ranked at minimum third by Football Outsiders in pass and run blocking overall. I’m not sure how ‘long developing pass plays’, without specifically defining them even means and I’m not sure anybody else here does either. If you read the article, a lot of it amounts to time AFTER the WR routes have ended based on how I understood whatever I skimmed through from the article. It also could be that the QB holds on to the ball way too long, which is a problem of Dak that was obvious in his second read drop in performance.

And our problems were not deep passing plays last year and should have never really been a problem, considering how much man outside and one safety Dak sees or has seen throughout his career. And deep passing plays shouldn’t be confused with long developing, because the deep adding play could be the first read.
Well look at you, Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo.
That was downright eloquent.

khiladi

Reaction score
Also, Dak being above average is questionable, considering we have a sample size of 6-game suspension Zeke and post-Dez pre-Cooper trade, where he was setting all sorts of records in futility.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Also, Dak being above average is questionable, considering we have a sample size of 6-game suspension Zeke and post-Dez pre-Cooper trade, where he was setting all sorts of records in futility.
I’m torn between an Elite QB and NFL prolific passer.

Dak has put up some solid stats , great leadership skills , game savvy instincts and clutch performances but I struggle with seeing him as one of the Prolific Passers in the league.

Perhaps if he led the league in passing, was a MVP or led us to at least a championship appearance I could look beyond some of his NFL proto-type struggles.

khiladi

Reaction score
I’m torn between an Elite QB and NFL prolific passer.

Dak has put up some solid stats , great leadership skills , game savvy instincts and clutch performances but I struggle with seeing him as one of the Prolific Passers in the league.

Perhaps if he led the league in passing, was a MVP or led us to at least a championship appearance I could look beyond some of his NFL proto-type struggles.

I’ve viewed him as a one-read QB the majority of his career which is what creates the impression he’s not accurate. He’s accurate when he knows where he is going or when he has to rely on his athleticism and play street-ball QB. Even Witten said that he was a one-read QB from the booth. Aikman said something similar.

I wouldn’t consider him clutch either. He didn’t have a single comeback when down at half-time. The first year, Dallas MO was to wear the opposing defense down with the run game, keeping the score close and have Dak bus drive them in the fourth against a worn out front. Dak was great at protecting the ball in this situation. When Dallas needs to win exclusively on his arm, he hasn’t shown he can do it consistently. Even in the Vikings game, the second to last play when he went to Elliott on the run, it was a QB read option, meaning Dak is the one who chose to go with Elliott. And the pass to Elliott on the fourth, it looks like Dak got scared and went there immediately.

Last year, he made some improvements, such as exploiting man coverage on the outside more often, which any solid NFL QB should with this running gams. But again, when he faced tough teams he resorted to the same tendencies and he can’t adjust to what the defense is doing.

Despite Dak Prescott’s great start to the season, the Cowboys Offense is still based off of their running game. Take that away, and everything else becomes exceedingly more difficult.

https://footballfilmroom.com/2019/10/03/saints-defense-stops-cowboys/

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve viewed him as a one-read QB the majority of his career which is what creates the impression he’s not accurate. He’s accurate when he knows where he is going or when he has to rely on his athleticism and play street-ball QB. Even Witten said that he was a one-read QB from the booth. Aikman said something similar.

I wouldn’t consider him clutch either. He didn’t have a single comeback when down at half-time. The first year, Dallas MO was to wear the opposing defense down with the run game, keeping the score close and have Dak bus drive them in the fourth against a worn out front. When Dallas needs to win exclusively on his arm, he hasn’t shown he can do it consistently. Even in the Vikings game, the second to last play when he went to Elliott on the run, it was a QB read option, meaning Dak is the one who chose to go with Elliott. And the pass to Elliott on the fourth, it looks like Dak got scared and went there immediately.

Last year, he made some improvements, such as exploiting man coverage on the outside more often, which any solid NFL QB should with this running gams. But again, when he faced tough teams he resorted to the same tendencies and he can’t adjust to what the defense is doing.

https://footballfilmroom.com/2019/10/03/saints-defense-stops-cowboys/
You bring up some valid concerns.

My greatest concern is the noticeable differential of consistency when playing lesser teams to greater teams.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are the most popular team in sports. The QB is the most popular player on the team. We have many, many haters out there and that's been proven. If the internet was as prevalent back in the day when Aikman was around there would be fans very critical of him as well. It is what it is. Even our own fans are critical of Dak Prescott and many on this board see him as below average. I support Dak and believe in him and ignore the naysayers. I try not to engage in an argument to prove Dak's worth. I know what i know and coaches and owners and personnel in the NFL know Dak's worth so why would i argue with someone on an internet forum????? If Dak goes on to win a super bowl and is the MVP nothing will change so don't kid yourself....................................
I can't imagine anyone I know on this Forum believes Dak is BELOW AVERAGE. That's nonsense. I believe the rub is whether he has earned the right to be among the highest PAID QB's this year. Simple as that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I sincerely hope our lack of success has been all about our coaching. And I’d agree with some of our weaknesses on defense and special teams.

But I suspect our weaknesses run deeper.

And I’m not sure how we know Garrett demanded such strategic moves as you’ve described. Sounds more like you’re blaming the less successful strategy then not giving credit for the more successful ones.

It might be entirely possible the better defenses and more Elite teams simply are better than we are.

At some point though a #1 offense with a heralded top 5 QB needs to carry a team to some wins and higher productions against these Elite teams despite the other weaknesses on defense, etc.

While history has proved great offenses and QB aren’t enough to carry a team to a championship without good defenses they have been able to lead their teams to the brink. Let’s hope coaching is all we were lacking. I’m anxious to find out.

When your defense is average, your special team stinks, and your game plan is weak and you cant adjust your aren't going to be a lot of good teams with quality coaching. And not only was the defense overall average, but they were the worst in the NFL in creating turnovers and in the bottom half in sacks.

I have also heard very few say that Dak is a top 5 QB.

Another pathetic attempt for you to defend you hero Garrett.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The some of the same people that use "dak hater" also use "romosexual"....so...there you go.

I think the most common definition of "Dak hater" is anyone who thinks there are flaws and especially anyone who'd rather not pay him so much money.

A Dak hater is anyone that says stupid things about the QB that simply bend the facts or cant be backed up with facts.

Like idiots saying he is average when he clearly isn't. Or the morons that said he was backup material and look really dumb about now. Or the clowns that dismiss the facts and cherry pick to try and prove a point that is laughable.