Dak: Only Good Things

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's a thread like this that exists, but I want to compile all of the good things we can possibly find about Dak. The reason for this is I honestly don't believe Cowboys fans understand just how important he is to our team, or how much he's already accomplished in his short career.

Please post positive Dak stats/facts. For example:

Last Season Dak did the following in the Red Zone:
16 TD's
0 INT's

Most Consecutive Starts By a Cowboys QB Ever:
1) 64 - Prescott
2) 47 - Romo
3) 43 - Staubach
4) 41 - Staubach
5) 34 - Aikman

Most Completions of 30+ yards in last two seasons:
1) Mahomes - 59
2) Prescott - 48
2) A Rodgers - 48
4) Watson - 47

Crazy Stat About Prescott:
- During his career, he's 10-6 in the first 4 games of the season
- Games 5-8, he's 10-6
- Games 9-12, he's 10-6
- The final quarter collective, 10-6

Dak Prescott on throws of 20 yards or more:
18-52
735 yards
8 TD’s
2 INT’s
106.57 passer rating (league average on 20+ yard throws is 81)

Dak Prescott (2018)
• More total touchdowns (28) than
Aaron Rodgers
• Better QB rating (96.9) than
Ben Roethlisberger
• Better TD-INT (2.75-1) ratio than
Tom Brady
• More total yards (4,190) than
Drew Brees
• Better completion % (67.7%) than
Patrick Mahomes
All while playing under Jason Garrett and his pathetic staff.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You forgot the 7 dropped passes by our WRs (some were drive killers) and the 1 fumble inside the Eagles 30 by Pollard.

Once again, it's no surprise you left off these facts.

Remember the only Dak-Savior below.....
51LbPkAFRvL.jpg

egn22

Reaction score
It’s crazy that Garrett always gets a pass when it comes to Daks shortcomings. I guess he’s supposed to coach himself on top of all of the other amazing stats that have been posted in this thread.

I wish people understood just how terrible of a coach Garrett was. Absolutely awful.
If anything it’s more of a reasonable to be impressed w Dak

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Well he played in 16/16 regular season games in four seasons and played in 15/16 regular season games over two seasons. He didn't have the Oline that Prescott has had over the past 4 years except in 2014 and defenders could leave one on the QB back then so Romo took his punishment yet still played in all of the aforementioned games.

Is your point that Romo is weak or not prepared to take hits? If so, perhaps you should revisit the 49ers game where he came back in to the game and secured the W after fracturing ribs.

Again it's a Dak lover that brings Romo in to the argument. Just let the man commentate!
Let's see...

COWBOYS OLINE RANKINGS (RUN / PASS) BY YEAR:

YEAR: RUN BLOCKING RANK / PASS PROTECTION RANK

2006: 7 / 23
2007: 15 / 7
2008: 18 / 13
2009: 2 / 16
2010: 12 / 11
2011: 9 / 13
2012: 22 / 11
2013: 4 / 10
2014: 1 / 16
2015: 6 / 19

2016: 4 / 13
2017: 4 / 15
2018: 8 / 28
2019: 2 / 2

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2006

For argument's sake, I'm only going to compare averages in the pass protection section for Romo (black colored numbers) and Dak (blue colored numbers).

Romo's Pass Protection Oline Career Rankings Average comes out to a: 13.9 ranking average

Dak's Pass Protection Oline Career Rankings Average comes out to a: 14.5 ranking average

Romo had a better average rank pass protecting Oline to play with during his 10 seasons as QB, compared to Dak's 4 seasons so far.

Clearly, Romo had on average as good or better pass protection than Dak has had so far.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I'm delighted to have gone from 13-3 (Zeke Year) to 8-8 and having an in-between of 10-6 and 9-7 without any major injuries I might add .....and with 1 playoff win!:banghead:
We are after all the Detriot Lions right????

P.S. I'm surprised with soooooo little talent around him Dak has managed even those wins!!!:muttley:

You missed the point. I'm not disagreeing with you that Dak has not won nearly as much as we have all liked. But he still averages a 10-6 for his career, which is still well above a winning record. But that's obviously not good enough for you, so who do you propose we get that we have a realistic chance of acquiring AND can guarantee us a higher winning percentage? And I want a GUARANTEE, not a personal imagining.

And I don't know what you're saying about no major injuries. He lost Tyron Smith (his main protection) for the Falcons and Eagles in 2017 (two games that left us out of the playoffs), so you can't blame him for playing 1 against 4 Defensive Linemen, lost Travis Frederick for the entire 2018 and got sacked 58 times, (far more than any other point of his career) and still fought his way to winning records both years. And when you say he had talent, he had a questionable defense for most of his career who gives up 30 points in each playoff loss, bums for receivers for a majority of 2018, and in 2017 his top target was a seriously declining Dez Bryant, well washed up after that and injury plagued, and.............this current version of Jason Witten.

Last edited:

egn22

Reaction score
You missed the point. I'm not disagreeing with you that Dak has not won nearly as much as we have all liked. But he still averages a 10-6 for his career, which is still well above a winning record. But that's obviously not good enough for you, so who do you propose we get that we have a realistic chance of acquiring AND can guarantee us a higher winning percentage? And I want a GUARANTEE, not a personal imagining.

And I don't know what you're saying about no major injuries. He lost Tyron Smith (his main protection) for the Falcons and Eagles in 2017 (two games that left us out of the playoffs), so you can't blame him for playing 1 against 4 Defensive Linemen, lost Travis Frederick for the entire 2018 and got sacked 58 times, (far more than any other point of his career) and still fought his way to a winning record. And when you say he had talent, he had a questionable defense for most of his career who gives up 30 points in each playoff loss, bums for receivers for a majority of 2018, and in 2017 his top target was a seriously declining Dez Bryant, well washed up after that and injury plagued, and......... then.....this current version of Jason Witten.

Damn, nice breakdown. All great points!!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

And I don't know what you're saying about no major injuries. He lost Tyron Smith (his main protection) for the Falcons and Eagles in 2017 (two games that left us out of the playoffs), so you can't blame him for playing 1 against 4 Defensive Linemen, lost Travis Frederick for the entire 2018 and got sacked 58 times, (far more than any other point of his career) and still fought his way to a winning record. And when you say he had talent, he had a questionable defense for most of his career who gives up 30 points in each playoff loss, bums for receivers for a majority of 2018, and in 2017 his top target was a seriously declining Dez Bryant, well washed up after that and injury plagued, and.............this current version of Jason Witten.
Nailed it!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Highest passer rating for throws beyond 30 yards in 2019.

Highest QBR of all QB’s in the 2018 playoffs (2 games played).

Dak has 21 rushing TD’s in 4 seasons. That’s an average of over 4 rushing TD’s per season.

He also has an additional 2 rushing TD’s in 3 playoff games.

That makes him an incredible redzone rushing threat from the QB position. As good as some of the best.

for a comparison, Michael Vick had 36 rushing Td’s in his entire career for regular season games and 1 rushing TD in the playoffs.

I am not arguing that Dak is a better runner than Vick was in totality, He isn’t, but that should highlight how good Dak is at running in the redzone and running the ball for a TD.

If Dak maintains his current pace he will have more
Rushing TD’s than Vick’s entire career in less than 4 more seasons.

The only QB better at rushing for TD’s in recent history that I can think of is Cam Newton.
the only problem with all this is that he doesnt do it enough or in key situations.
He doesnt like to run, would rather throw, and jones boys dont want him running.
But at times he takes a sack when he could have run, and takes a fg, because he didnt take off and run from the pocket.

I dont really care for the read option runs, that gets him hit, but I think he should run more from the pocket, and in the red zone.
He has this ability now while young, but he doesnt use it enough.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I will admit dak has some good stats, but stats dont win games, and they dont win playoff games, or get you to playoffs and beyond.
Marino and Romo had good stats and lots of records, but didnt help them get to the sb, Romo never even got to a champ game.
So far neither has dak.
I think Dak lacks football smarts during a game, he isnt going to out smart anyone and sometimes make the bonehead decisions.
He does play good at times, but also plays really bad at times, you never know which dak he will be.

my positives on dak
1.durable did get hurt shoulder last year and hand, he played but not very good.
2. never gives up
3.tries really hard
4. team mates seem to like him and accept him as leader. but I dont know if he can keep them motivated during games that go south.
5. has been cheap up till now lol
6.good at running but doesnt do it enough or at right times, not real smart about when and where to run. Mahomes was great at this during SB
and is why they won that game.
7. likes to throw partys during shut down ........o wait not so good lol. just kidding
8.likes to hang out with elliot...........o wait not so good either :thumbdown:
9.seems to stay in shape during off season so always fit for the season
10. has had 2 good seasons 13-3 and 12-4 knocked out in div round both times by GB rodgers and our new coach MM
2 of 4 isnt bad, and dak is a fairly good qb, he just seems to lack smarts during games, and is wildly inconsistent.

what made joe montana and brady great qb's and winners, was game smarts and cool under pressure.
They had it from the start, and I just dont see that with dak.

bodi

Reaction score
Last season, Dak Prescott and the Cowboys were 1-6 against playoff teams and 7-2 against non-playoff teams.

Dak threw for an even 8 TD-8 Int in their games against playoff teams, and 22 TD-3 Int against non-playoff team

He's easily able to beat up on the poor teams; a 22:3 TD to interception ratio is excellent no matter the competition, but in high pressure situations, he hasn't been able to prove that he's the man for the job.

egn22

Reaction score
Last season, Dak Prescott and the Cowboys were 1-6 against playoff teams and 7-2 against non-playoff teams.

Dak threw for an even 8 TD-8 Int in their games against playoff teams, and 22 TD-3 Int against non-playoff team

He's easily able to beat up on the poor teams; a 22:3 TD to interception ratio is excellent no matter the competition, but in high pressure situations, he hasn't been able to prove that he's the man for the job.

you have to consider the coaching situation. This is a critical component when it comes to beating good teams

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Let's see...

COWBOYS OLINE RANKINGS (RUN / PASS) BY YEAR:

YEAR: RUN BLOCKING RANK / PASS PROTECTION RANK

2006: 7 / 23
2007: 15 / 7
2008: 18 / 13
2009: 2 / 16
2010: 12 / 11
2011: 9 / 13
2012: 22 / 11
2013: 4 / 10
2014: 1 / 16
2015: 6 / 19

2016: 4 / 13
2017: 4 / 15
2018: 8 / 28
2019: 2 / 2

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2006

For argument's sake, I'm only going to compare averages in the pass protection section for Romo (black colored numbers) and Dak (blue colored numbers).

Romo's Pass Protection Oline Career Rankings Average comes out to a: 13.9 ranking average

Dak's Pass Protection Oline Career Rankings Average comes out to a: 14.5 ranking average

Romo had a better average rank pass protecting Oline to play with during his 10 seasons as QB, compared to Dak's 4 seasons so far.

Clearly, Romo had on average as good or better pass protection than Dak has had so far.

Just FYI, Football Outsiders passblock measure is very simplistic. While I like some of their stats (DVOA, etc..), all they do here is divide total sacks by pass attempts. While it may give you a clue to how the OLINE performed in pass-blocking, it totally takes the QB out of the equation which I do not believe makes for a very accurate assessment (coverage sacks, QB pocket awareness, how long the QB is holding the ball are not considered at all). .

visionary

Reaction score
you must be a Garrett guy

actually that’s a good point

in many ways Dak is the Garrett of QBs

Looks the part
Talks a good talk
Good/great in regular season
No meaningful post season success