Dak or Deshaun Watson

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Good question and it’ll be answered in 8 months,

As Parcells said, “You know about quarterbacks after three years;”

They both could be good to great, That being said - I’m leaning towards Watson out of the gate.

John813

Reaction score
Watson had one hell of an impressive stretch.
He has the weapons on the outside to make defenses fear that deep ball.
I would say Dak, mainly cause I watched him a lot more than Watson and I think the best of Dak is yet to come.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Clearly being selected 1st round 12th overall vs being a 4th rd pick there is much more expectations on Watson. Watson and Hopkins clicked very well but then Hopkins seems to put up big numbers no matter who is at QB.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Who would you rather have for the next ten years?

Watson as he can throw to an open wr where Dak thinks he's covered and is quick to throw to the checkdown but instead overthrows it to the DB.

I might be impressed again with Dak after this season, but coming off regression can never be optimistic when you've always had pieces around you to succeed

GMO415

Reaction score
Wow....tough question .I'm with BobHaze it's way too soon tell. In this offense I'd take Dak, because the other has a #1 WR.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Would love to see how Dak would do in the O'Brien System that Deshaun thrived in last year before he got hurt. Deshaun is younger so that would give him an edge BUT those knee injuries are worrying.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Would love to see how Dak would do in the O'Brien System that Deshaun thrived in last year before he got hurt. Deshaun is younger so that would give him an edge BUT those knee injuries are worrying.
O'Brien is on record saying that he adapted the system to fit Watson's skill set. Deshaun Watson is better at creating big plays, but he's much riskier. If you watch his incredible rookie highlight reel, some of those passes could have been intercepted with slightly better DB play. Watson has more of a mentality to "push to score" on every drive, even if he has to improvise outside of the designed play. Dak is thicker guy, so he's less prone to injury, he's less risky and is more of a "take what the defense gives me" kind of guy and doesn't force the action. He'll make bigger plays when the scheme trumps what the defense is doing, and you'll get less turnovers from him.

Cowboys fans who want someone more like Romo will like Watson better. Cowboys fans who want someone more like Aikman will prefer Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So if the question was Randy Moss in his prime or even rookie Moss vs Gallup you would say Gallup?

Are you going somewhere with this? For the record, I didn't love Moss nearly as much as a lot of folks did and I didn't obsess with the fact that we did not draft him. I actually really like Gallup and I think that Cowboy fans are going to really like him as well but that's here nor there. The question asked was Dak or Deshaun. I take Dak.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Are you going somewhere with this? For the record, I didn't love Moss nearly as much as a lot of folks did and I didn't obsess with the fact that we did not draft him. I actually really like Gallup and I think that Cowboy fans are going to really like him as well but that's here nor there. The question asked was Dak or Deshaun. I take Dak.

All I'm doing is understanding how you formed that opinion, nothing more nothing less. So Moss or Gallup?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
All I'm doing is understanding how you formed that opinion, nothing more nothing less. So Moss or Gallup?

Gallup. What good does it do to tell young players that we would rather have other players, as apposed to the young ones we have? Watson is not a Cowboy so why would I ever want to tell Dak that I'd rather have Watson? Gallup is a Cowboy, Moss hasn't played in the NFL in years. Why would I ever want to tell Gallup that I would rather have a player that we could never have? It does absolutely no good. This is a silly discussion to me.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Gallup. What good does it do to tell young players that we would rather have other players, as apposed to the young ones we have? Watson is not a Cowboy so why would I ever want to tell Dak that I'd rather have Watson? Gallup is a Cowboy, Moss hasn't played in the NFL in years. Why would I ever want to tell Gallup that I would rather have a player that we could never have? It does absolutely no good. This is a silly discussion to me.

This isn't a personal matter for the players, and it may be silly because we're talking about other teams' players, but there's no harm in being a fan of the NFL and making comparisons.

I don't want to keep sidetracking, but I'm curious how you feel of players when they're moved or replaced by other players on the team. Is it silly to ask Jones vs Lewis on the outside or Irving vs Gregory on the outside?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This isn't a personal matter for the players, and it may be silly because we're talking about other teams' players, but there's no harm in being a fan of the NFL and making comparisons.

I don't want to keep sidetracking, but I'm curious how you feel of players when they're moved or replaced by other players on the team. Is it silly to ask Jones vs Lewis on the outside or Irving vs Gregory on the outside?

Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I don't know how you could know what a player takes personally, one way or the other. I am a fan of the Cowboys. I will always pull for Cowboys players. I can appreciate other great players. I think it's fine to discuss players in the draft and even players, once they have proven their worth after having been given the chance but I'm not for doing it with players who haven't even had sufficient time to develop for us. I see no value in that.

Now, the discussion is about Dak and Watson. Lets stick to the thread subject matter.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I don't know how you could know what a player takes personally, one way or the other. I am a fan of the Cowboys. I will always pull for Cowboys players. I can appreciate other great players. I think it's fine to discuss players in the draft and even players, once they have proven their worth after having been given the chance but I'm not for doing it with players who haven't even had sufficient time to develop for us. I see no value in that.

Now, the discussion is about Dak and Watson. Lets stick to the thread subject matter.
I can't add more because Dak may take this personally and it's apparently a silly discussion. Appreciate the input. I'm rooting for Dak, but I stand by my initial opinion of Watson.