Dak or the Play Calling

shabazz

Reaction score
They say he was doing those hip twisty jazzercise drills to possibly get to the elusive but highly coveted, 9 step drop.........after seeing that who the hell would want to sack him?

hqdefault.jpg

khiladi

Reaction score
Jesus, Dak is limited so how many passing yards are we going to have when he learns to make all the throws like 7k to 8k.....

Passing yards against man coverage and one safety help, because of the run game. Cooper has been carrying him since he got here. Without Cooper, Zeke or Smith he is not just average, but mediocre. Despite all our passing yards, we were 17th in red zone scoring and 22nd on the road. Dak was 1-7 when he threw over 40 attempts in a game.

Much of Cooper’s impact this season has been against a man defense. Since Cooper’s first game with Dallas in week nine he ranks first against man defenses in yards (432), yards after the catch (209), touchdowns (6) and has put up a 139 receiver rating.

Having Cooper as a weapon against man defenses has improved the entire offense, as Prescott’s game has been elevated to new heights against man defenses, including a 48-point jump in IQR.

Comp % Y/A TD INT IQR
Pre Amari 52% 6.2 3 3 71
With Amari 61% 8.8 8 1 119
Despite this massive jump in production against man defense, Prescott has not had nearly as much success against a zone defense and his IQR has dropped from 100 to 84 with Cooper on the roster. Though he has an 80 percent completion percentage versus zones, it’s almost entirely short-pass based. He has no touchdowns and two interceptions on 91 attempts.

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com...-amari-cooper-face-challenge-with-colts-zone/

khiladi

Reaction score
To be fair, I just read that Mahomes operated almost exclusively out of shotgun in college and that was one of his pre-draft criticisms, do this isn’t necessarily an indicator that Dak couldn’t do it when coming it to the league. But everything suggests the exact opposite.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His problems with the drop-back go back since his time in the NFL. And as an aside, anybody that compared Aikman to Dak, while understanding these facts now, is either lying to himself or simply unable to comprehend Dak’s lack of timing and hitting QBs in stride. This is without getting in the issues of him resorting to throwing off his back foot when under a modicum or pressure.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...lling-snap-analysis-2019-season-dak-prescott/
Dak looks like a FB playing QB.
Has more flaws than I have time to post.
He's riding a juggernaut talented offense and will soon be lost to some other NFL team bench.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Passing yards against man coverage and one safety help, because of the run game. Cooper has been carrying him since he got here. Without Cooper, Zeke or Smith he is not just average, but mediocre. Despite all our passing yards, we were 17th in red zone scoring and 22nd on the road. Dak was 1-7 when he threw over 40 attempts in a game.

so your answer is he didn't really throw for those yards? I'm missing your point i guess, so take away any good players he has and he isn't as good....hmmm does that go for all QB's or just Dak....

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com...-amari-cooper-face-challenge-with-colts-zone/

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Dak looks like a FB playing QB.
Has more flaws than I have time to post.
He's riding a juggernaut talented offense and will soon be lost to some other NFL team bench.

Man your correct he road that juggernaut offense to like #1 in league....Lets cut him now!!!!!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Holy crap we have a good WR and RB .......can't have that around here cut them tooo!!!! Unbvelievable

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Again, wrong..

The actual quote is:

The author clearly distinguishes between play-action and under center.

Again wrong, ad I provided in the other link from 2018, this was a recognized problem of Dak and he actually spent that off-season working on it:

So there is PLENTY to suggest it’s exactly that.
Not the quote I'm talking about.

No, because that does not connect to the number of times the Cowboys WANT to call those plays. It is absurd speculation to suggest that the Cowboys want to buck a leaguewide trend and run different personnel because of dak's footwork. There is a massive difference between having to work on something, and that thing restricting the playbook.

Again, by your logic, the exact same thing would apply to Pat Mahomes.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man your correct he road that juggernaut offense to like #1 in league....Lets cut him now!!!!!

8-8 is # 1.......intersting.:eek:

P.S. Now post its the special teams fault along with the top ten defense of ours and throw in the waterboy was slacking off.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
8-8 is # 1.......intersting.:eek:

P.S. Now post its the special teams fault along with the top ten defense of ours and throw in the waterboy was slacking off.

I was just going to ask you when its ok to use the team record for the QB and when its not.... again you seem to only want to use it when it's 8-8...but we can evaluate the waterboys performance last year, i'll let you start go!!!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Man start cutting Zeke now that o line he has is way too good.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was just going to ask you when its ok to use the team record for the QB and when its not.... again you seem to only want to use it when it's 8-8...but we can evaluate the waterboys performance last year, i'll let you start go!!!
Can he beat teams with winning records?
Can he put the game on his shoulders and carry us to Victory?
Can you say parasite.....cause seems even Jerry figured it out!!!!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Can he beat teams with winning records?
Can he put the game on his shoulders and carry us to Victory?
Can you say parasite.....cause seems even Jerry figured it out!!!!

I mean anyone can say anything..it doesn't make it true... case in point you keep saying start Andy Dalton, unless your a closet TCU fan i'm betting you have not watched him play as much as I have.....You say he is better than Dak.....yet everything you measure QB play by says your wrong....that doesn't stop you from saying it now does it?

now after we discuss the waterboy you want to go after the equipment manager?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Interesting.

The stats appear to back up the eye test based opinion of many here.

Dallas Cowboys 16 596 388 65.1 4902 8.2 62 30 11 229 38.42 68 23 151 99.7
2018 Dallas Cowboys 16 526 356 67.68 3885 7.4 90 22 8 184 34.98 39 56 347 96.9
2017 Dallas Cowboys 16 490 308 62.86 3324 6.8 81 22 13 162 33.06 34 32 185 86.6
2016 Dallas Cowboys 16 459 311 67.76 3667 8 83 23 4 182 39.65 38 25 143 104.9

looks to me like completion % has been pretty consistent, but sure try really hard to make me argue a better WR doesn't help a QB.... what a concept....

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys 16 596 388 65.1 4902 8.2 62 30 11 229 38.42 68 23 151 99.7
2018 Dallas Cowboys 16 526 356 67.68 3885 7.4 90 22 8 184 34.98 39 56 347 96.9
2017 Dallas Cowboys 16 490 308 62.86 3324 6.8 81 22 13 162 33.06 34 32 185 86.6
2016 Dallas Cowboys 16 459 311 67.76 3667 8 83 23 4 182 39.65 38 25 143 104.9

looks to me like completion % has been pretty consistent, but sure try really hard to make me argue a better WR doesn't help a QB.... what a concept....
Not sure what this has to do with my post. The thread is about drop backs from center. It has been apparent through both observation and now documentation that dropping back from center and firing is not something that happens very often.

You're new here so you may not be aware of the mocking that the "eye test" gets from the stat geeks. (Usually only when talking about Dak though. Feel free to use the eye test to slam anyone else.)

It has always appeared to me that Dak is most comfortable when he cuts loose and goes streetball. He struggles with just dropping back and firing when that last step hits the ground. This shows itself the most in the tight areas. the 3rd and 5's or goal to go from the 10. The spots where timing and bang bang plays are the most needed. He doesn't need to be Bradyesque but he does need to be able to do it when appropriate.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Not sure what this has to do with my post. The thread is about drop backs from center. It has been apparent through both observation and now documentation that dropping back from center and firing is not something that happens very often.

You're new here so you may not be aware of the mocking that the "eye test" gets from the stat geeks. (Usually only when talking about Dak though. Feel free to use the eye test to slam anyone else.)

It has always appeared to me that Dak is most comfortable when he cuts loose and goes streetball. He struggles with just dropping back and firing when that last step hits the ground. This shows itself the most in the tight areas. the 3rd and 5's or goal to go from the 10. The spots where timing and bang bang plays are the most needed. He doesn't need to be Bradyesque but he does need to be able to do it when appropriate.

hit the wrong reply, this was in response to the Cooper made Dak's completion% go way up. I agree he is more comfortable in a multiple option offense where your reads come off 2 to 3 people and what they do at the snap. Again i wonder why you draft a QB see what you like and don't change your scheme to fit his strengths.......there are so many factors that go into red zone offense, first and foremost is what is the defense giving you because zone is so much easier to play in that small of an area, 2nd if your going to run on first and second down (this is the big one to me) you better have a page in that playbook that kills zones because that's what is coming on 3rd and goal, last is you can have an elite red zone offense without a tight end but i don't remember one and Witten just isn't that guy now.

but yes accurate passing is much needed on small zone defense like the red zone. I'm not ready to blame that all on Dak or Zeke or Cooper until i see a non Garrett scheme fail with those same guys.

morat1959

Reaction score
Jesus, Dak is limited so how many passing yards are we going to have when he learns to make all the throws like 7k to 8k.....
It doesn’t matter if its 10K garbage time-fantasy yards. At the end of the day, he’s just not very good when it matters. The Madden-fantasy #s mean nothing to me. I want another SB and Dak will never get us there. He doesn’t have it between the ears.