Dak Prescott 2 in Total QBR

VACowboy

Reaction score
Just for the sake of argument, and really I even hate to call it that, lets say that a QB does. What would you think then?

For example, there are QBs that like to throw the ball 50 times a game. Now, I'm not saying that this is always the case because any rational person knows that it is unreasonable to make assumptions like that but, lets say you do have a guy playing QB who wants to throw it up and really not use the running game, or who simply isn't converting 3rd downs that he really should be making. In that situation, your Defense is probably on the filed too long and they are probably gassed. Coming back from being down takes more out of you then it does to sustain a lead so that situation can come up. If that happens and your QB does toss a late TD and the Defense gives up a TD, can we really know if that is on the QB or on the D?

Just too many things that you don't know, unless you are on the team. You can make educated guesses but it's hard to know for sure. Example of this is the Dez drop last weekend. I mean, that ball should have been caught and most said that immediately but not many saw ankle get rolled up on. In real time, it look like another drop but I can see how he missed it.

Anyway, I get what you are saying. I've just kinda looked at it over and over again and I'm just not sure if there really is a better way to gi about it.
I think we can spin up hypotheticals to support any argument, but when it comes right down to it, the effectiveness of a defense has a lot more to do with how the defensive players play then how the quarterback plays. There are exceptions to every rule, but I would bet that most times a quarterback plays so badly that his otherwise excellent defense is too gassed to keep the opposition out of the end zone with 75 yards to go and a minute and a half on the clock, his stats are going to be terrible and the probability that his team will be ahead Will be minimal anyway. Football is the ultimate team game. Everything depends on 46 players doing their jobs, but nothing more so than winning.

zeke21

Reaction score
Dak played really well yesterday. His stat line was almost identical to Smith and that makes sense to me. I see Smith as the ultimate bus driver and Dak is exactly that. Others assume that is a negative.. it really isn't. A smart QB, with legs, who keeps the ball safe and sustains excellent drives is gold and that is exactly what we have. A professional who will always keep you in the game and especially important to us as it keeps the D off the field.

Also thought we used Dez differently in the game and for the better.. not so many wasted deep routes and instead used him on crossing routes as well.

Going to be super fun watching Dak and Wentz square off for hopefully the next 10 years.. could become one of the all time classic QB rivalries!

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Not shocking to me because that Deadskins game was impressive. Dak had a higher QBR than him yesterday? It does show how well a QB is playing. Which made what Watson was doing incredible.

I wouldn't trade Dak for anyone. You can tell me he's not as fast as Cam....doesn't have Wentz's arm or Russell's elusiveness.....but no one can show me a young quarterback with his swagger and his will to win. When the football is in his hands.....I don't have any fear of a stupid play happening. He may miss a receiver here or there........he's not going to hurt his team though.
You stated everything that I think about Dak. I have no fear with him back there. I always believe in this team now. Total confidence.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think we can spin up hypotheticals to support any argument, but when it comes right down to it, the effectiveness of a defense has a lot more to do with how the defensive players play then how the quarterback plays. There are exceptions to every rule, but I would bet that most times a quarterback plays so badly that his otherwise excellent defense is too gassed to keep the opposition out of the end zone with 75 yards to go and a minute and a half on the clock, his stats are going to be terrible and the probability that his team will be ahead Will be minimal anyway. Football is the ultimate team game. Everything depends on 46 players doing their jobs, but nothing more so than winning.

Well, this one we are going to disagree on. I am a big believer in Offense Play Calling and Field Position. I think QBing and Play Calling are really important in saving your Defense. It's OK, we just disagree and that's OK with me.

Ken

Reaction score
Scheme made that happen? Sounds like you think the Philly coaches are better than ours.
it is possible. We have a different scheme...one that is predicated on us being more talented and executing better than the opposing team. We obviously do that well as our offense is among the beat in the league.

We don't often have wide open guys in games let alone what seems like every play.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Well, this one we are going to disagree on. I am a big believer in Offense Play Calling and Field Position. I think QBing and Play Calling are really important in saving your Defense. It's OK, we just disagree and that's OK with me.
The mean average time of possession in the NFL is 30 minutes and 19 seconds. In my mind, the effects of a couple minutes one way or the other on teams defense are way overblown. To me the bigger deal with time of possession is keeping the Opposing offense off the field, not keeping their defense on it.

You’re right. We are definitely going to disagree on this one. And so nice that we could be civil about it. What role models we are! :omg:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The mean average time of possession in the NFL is 30 minutes and 19 seconds. In my mind, the effects of a couple minutes one way or the other on teams defense are way overblown. To me the bigger deal with time of possession is keeping the Opposing offense off the field, not keeping their defense on it.

You’re right. We are definitely going to disagree on this one. And so nice that we could be civil about it. What role models we are! :omg:

LOL... Yeah, we are couple regular old gents sitting on the porch yeah?

Gameover

Reaction score
Dak had a 86.0 QBR on November 29, 2016:

DOAiIWbW4AAvigo