Dak Prescott Issued Warning About Possibly Leaving Cowboys

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak Prescott should maybe think twice about leaving the Cowboys.

With Prescott on the verge of entering the final year of his deal with the Cowboys, there’s speculation regarding whether the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback will leave the Cowboys next offseason. While Prescott will have no shortage of suitors in free agency if he chooses to go that route, former head coach Herm Edwards warned the 2023 MVP runner-up of thinking twice when it comes to leaving Dallas.

You’re not going to play for a better team,” Edwards said. “Who challenges him? The [Philadelphia Eagles]. The [Detroit Lions] … [Green Bay Packers], [San Francisco 49ers], that’s who they got to deal with. That’s who Dak has to deal with to get to the Super Bowl. And that’s what he understands. If you understand that and say, ‘Well, hey, I got the best team I can play on right now. I go somewhere else, I got to start over.'”

Why Dak Prescott Should Consider Staying With Cowboys​

Edwards makes a fair point considering the NFC is stacked. All of the aforementioned teams already have franchise quarterbacks in Hurts, Goff, Love and Purdy. To make matters worse, the AFC — which is seen as the stronger conference — already have teams with franchise quarterbacks locked in on long-term contracts such as Mahomes, Herbert, Jackson and Burrows

That’s not even mentioning fringe contenders such as the Falcons already having signed Cousins to a four-year, $180 million contract in the offseason.

Why Dak Prescott Should Earn Big Money Deal if He Leaves Cowboys​

There’s little doubt that Prescott could sign a big contract, that mirrors — if not exceeds — the one Cousins signed this offseason. Considering Prescott is coming off of the best season of his career and is actually five years younger than Cousins (without coming off of an injury), he could very well earn at least $50 million per year on his next deal.

Spotrac has Prescott’s projected market value is $53.1 million per season across four years for a total of over $212 million. That would make Prescott the third-highest paid quarterback on an average annual basis in the NFL.

https://heavy.com/

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This isn’t intended to be another thread about why you or I believe he should stay , go or why we wouldn’t want him to stay, etc…

But merely a thread about why Prescott should consider staying rather than bolting for another team.

And how that should impact his demands and negotiations with the Cowboys.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This isn’t intended to be another thread about why you or I believe he should stay , go or why we wouldn’t want him to stay, etc…

But merely a thread about why Prescott should consider staying rather than bolting for another team.

I think it's too early to truly forecast that. It's a year to year league and there may be openings for teams in positions better to compete than we realize. We also don't know how a younger Cowboy team with pending negotiations with other star players like Lamb/Parsons will turn out. We really don't even know who is going to be coaching the Cowboys and what type of offensive system will be in place in Dallas after this year.

JBS

Reaction score

The reasoning isn’t a good one. There are plenty of teams that need a franchise qb. He will and he should go to the highest bidder.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it's too early to truly forecast that. It's a year to year league and there may be openings for teams in positions better to compete than we realize. We also don't know how a younger Cowboy team with pending negotiations with other star players like Lamb/Parsons will turn out. We really don't even know who is going to be coaching the Cowboys and what type of offensive system will be in place in Dallas after this year.
But none of those teams are going to have an opening. We could probably add more.

Unless another top playoff team emerges I think we can draw some of these assertions as Edwards has.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The reasoning isn’t a good one. There are plenty of teams that need a franchise qb. He will and he should go to the highest bidder.
Of course if he’s not interested in going to a team that can contend but that isn’t the point of the argument . It’s based on who of the better teams could he go to?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How much more can Dak earn for a non playoff team?

I’d argue it could be marginal . For example : If Cowboys are willing to pay 53-55 is it going to be worth Dak getting 3-5 more going to a bottom feeder team?

JBS

Reaction score
Of course if he’s not interested in going to a team that can contend but that isn’t the point of the argument . It’s based on who of the better teams could he go to?
Fair enough. That’s assuming players care about winning over money. They don’t but there a separate topic.

Staying on topic. Those teams are good bc they have good QBs. Not bc the teams are good without them. Put a good qb on a bad team and they are instantly better

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
5 generations from now, Dak’s descendants aren’t going to care if he lost in the first round for the Cowboys, or lost in the first round for the Raiders, or lost in the first round for the Titans. They’re gonna care whether or not they have to work part time at McDonald’s to pay for their college tuition. Go get the bag

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fair enough. That’s assuming players care about winning over money. They don’t but there a separate topic.

Staying on topic. Those teams are good bc they have good QBs. Not bc the teams are good without them. Put a good qb on a bad team and they are instantly better
Yes, but the point remains what better team could Prescott go to. Which is the point Edwards was making .

Are you saying any non playoff team Dak goes to makes them a playoff or better team than Dallas?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Dude you knew this was going to go down the toilet quicker than the Hawk Tua girls rise to fame.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True but Dak has to make a decision based on what we know now if he decides not to sign with Cowboys for the unknown.

That’s the jest of Edwards point .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dude you knew this was going to go down the toilet quicker than the Hawk Tua girls rise to fame.
First of all Im not familiar with Hawk Tua but I can at least attempt to keep this thread on topic .

Edwards made a good point. What better team is going to be out there for Prescott to go.

JBS

Reaction score
Yes, but the point remains what better team could Prescott go to. Which is the point Edwards was making .

Are you saying any non playoff team Dak goes to makes them a playoff or better team than Dallas?
I’m not a Dak fan. But take Dak off Dallas and replace him with any of those other teams scrub QBs and we are no better than they are. So yes, the difference is marginal at best either way.