Dak Prescott ranked 1 free agent of 2021

pansophy

Reaction score
Idk man. I initially thought the same thing. And that playing on the tags was part of Dak’s and his agents strategy. To make the most money possible upfront.

That being said, I think Dak’s injury could change things. I mean. The franchise tag strategy carries a lot of risks for a QB. Dak probably saw his career flash before his eyes when that injury happened.

I could see that changing his strategy and wanting a more long term deal.

of course that remains to be seen.

Cousins franchise tag play actually helped cousins and maximized his earnings. But cousins didn’t get injured in either of the franchise tag years. He gambled and won

Dak gambled and is staring losing that gamble in the face with the injury.

we shall see
But you could argue that Dak already experienced the worst-case scenario -- well almost. If he plays on the tag again, get injured again, and suddenly teams shy away he has still made nearly 70M in two years. He is set for life, or at least should be. So then it is really about what he wants from here, and if it is maximizing money then why deviate from the plan now?

Bigdog

Reaction score
My number for Dak is $36 million a year with incentives for play-off wins and cutting down on fumbles and interceptions. I would also give him a large signing bonus so his desire to make huge bank is satisfied.
I would agree to that but I would lower his annual to 34-35 million a year, increase the years but greatly increase the guarantee money.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Again, this was reported everywhere. If you consider it being widely published as "proof" then it's definitive. I wasn't being dodgy, I just obviously can't prove what the conversations were between Dak and his agent. Here is an example link: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...wboys-franchise-tag/hvdtt0nzo96v1ct5q22j3lzyw

Again, lots of things are reported everywhere with no real substantiation. I do not consider something picked up on by numerous publications and repeated over and over again as proof of anything, other then the state of lazy reporting we find ourselves in today. But it makes little sense to me to believe that what is contained in these articles is fact. I mean, we were told that Dak and representation wanted fewer years and I can believe that but that doesn't mean the money was right with all involved. We were also told that the money would need to be 40 and this was from a statement made by his representation. So does that then mean that everybody was good with 40 annually and it was just the years? I don't see any proof of that. We then told that Dak was ready to sign the 35 for 5 but couldn't get the deal done in time and this is why his agent was no longer with CAA. So what does that mean? Does that mean that the money and the years were right but it was some rough agent that screwed things up? I don't see any proof of that either and to be honest, this makes even less sense to me. A deal that was on the table for literally months and there was not enough time? I don't think so. So in short, I don't buy any of it. If this is what you believe, that's fine but I don't. Not even a little bit, to be honest.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
I would agree to that but I would lower his annual to 34-35 million a year, increase the years but greatly increase the guarantee money.
Dak can just hold out and sign for 37.5 MIL for one single year. Then parlay it into a 87 MIL fully guaranteed contract with another desperate team. Like Cousins did.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well we would have to tag and trade, else he is a free agent.

Quit obviously that would be the scenario but again, that is possible and even probable if Dak decides to play hardball. It would be the smartest thing the team could do or they would find themselves in the same situation as did Washington a few years ago.

JMO

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do they insist on using words like "catastrophic" or "devastating" with his injury which isn't career threatening and all reports have him ahead of recovery?

If he hits FA, he will be #1 as he was last season. I don't think that happens or another tag. he gets the 4 year deal.

blueblood70

Reaction score
https://sportsnaut.com/top-25-potential-nfl-free-agents-of-2021/

"1. Dak Prescott, quarterback, Dallas Cowboys

The devastating ankle injury Prescott suffered back in Week 5 should not impact him in free agency. Heck, the Cowboys would be smart to double down with their most-recent offer of making him one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in NFL history. Prior to suffering said injury, Prescott had tallied over 7,100 total yards with 45 total touchdowns and 15 interceptions in his previous 21 starts. He’s a franchise quarterback. He will get paid like it."

I don't understand the people who say "nobody but Dallas would look at him." :lmao: Once more of those lists release, Dak will make the Top 3 of every list. He is the highest commodity of this offseason if he were to not sign with Dallas, and he's ranked #1 here.

I'm not saying at all that I want him to leave (he's still my first choice for the Cowboys QB next year) - just making a point that he's the most wanted guy in the NFL right now, and the majority of the media and the NFL personnel agree.
what does the # 1 FA have to do with team interested in PAYING 2 FIRSTS FOR HIM THAN TURNING AND HANDING HI 40 PER ON 4 YEAR DEAL ON PLAYER FRIENDLY DEAL ?

show me that and ill let him walk..

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Another Dak thread with the same guys saying the same things they say in every other Dak thread.

Amazingly, no one ever changes their opinion based on someone else's opinion. :popcorn:

blueblood70

Reaction score
No surprise as he was playing at an elite level this year before the injury.
elite with fumbles , ints, and bad throws? sure was coming and putting up yards and that great but he wasn't mistake free, the turnovers on offense did not help the defense..

sure everyone needing a qb is interested but interest isnt show me the draft picks and money to trade for him..

pansophy

Reaction score
Again, lots of things are reported everywhere with no real substantiation. I do not consider something picked up on by numerous publications and repeated over and over again as proof of anything, other then the state of lazy reporting we find ourselves in today. But it makes little sense to me to believe that what is contained in these articles is fact. I mean, we were told that Dak and representation wanted fewer years and I can believe that but that doesn't mean the money was right with all involved. We were also told that the money would need to be 40 and this was from a statement made by his representation. So does that then mean that everybody was good with 40 annually and it was just the years? I don't see any proof of that. We then told that Dak was ready to sign the 35 for 5 but couldn't get the deal done in time and this is why his agent was no longer with CAA. So what does that mean? Does that mean that the money and the years were right but it was some rough agent that screwed things up? I don't see any proof of that either and to be honest, this makes even less sense to me. A deal that was on the table for literally months and there was not enough time? I don't think so. So in short, I don't buy any of it. If this is what you believe, that's fine but I don't. Not even a little bit, to be honest.
Another article explaining what appears to be the hangup. https://www.sportscasting.com/dak-p...-a-contract-because-of-1-stupid-disagreement/

It doesn't seem like Dak was ever pushing for more than 35M a year, but really just wanted to be a free agent again in time for the new TV contracts. Obviously, this has to do with money, but not $$ per year. What is hard to imagine is what a contract would have to be now to cause Dak to deviate from this strategy.

Would anyone sign him to a 3-year contract? This is a little bit like the Zeke situation but in reverse. If we weren't willing to pay Zeke a big contract because he was a RB then we never should have drafted him that early. Now that Dak has turned down 35M for 5 years, for that decision to make sense he can't just turn around and sign for 35M for 4 years this year. It is either going to have to be more money per year -- a lot more -- or fewer than 4 years. If not, why did Dak go through the risk of a 1-year deal in the first place?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another Dak thread with the same guys saying the same things they say in every other Dak thread.

Amazingly, no one ever changes their opinion based on someone else's opinion. :popcorn:
Jake, appreciate the consistency.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Dak can just hold out and sign for 37.5 MIL for one single year. Then parlay it into a 87 MIL fully guaranteed contract with another desperate team. Like Cousins did.
Yes but maybe with the injury it changes on how he looks at the future.

Bigdog

Reaction score

Well my opinion is Alabama is going to beat your Ohio St on Monday. Seriously though I hope it is a good game and wish you alumni the best of luck.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Yes but maybe with the injury it changes on how he looks at the future.
The injury probably is changing both sides but in the end as long as DAK comes back and gets a full bill of health from his Dr. he gets tagged. That’s his plan. Get that tag. Then he gets the 37.5 MIL for one single year. Play all season. Get paid. The Cousins method will be copied for years to come. It’s the easiest and most sure fire way to get the money and that’s what this is about. Money. Anyone who tells you differently is lying.
Lets say DAL just says, F. it. We’re releasing him. Skip the tag year and jump to Get Paid. There will be a stupid, desperate team like MIN who will shell out 87 MIL FULLY GUARANTEED and he gets paid. That’s why he changed agents. To get paid.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Another article explaining what appears to be the hangup. https://www.sportscasting.com/dak-p...-a-contract-because-of-1-stupid-disagreement/

It doesn't seem like Dak was ever pushing for more than 35M a year, but really just wanted to be a free agent again in time for the new TV contracts. Obviously, this has to do with money, but not $$ per year. What is hard to imagine is what a contract would have to be now to cause Dak to deviate from this strategy.

Would anyone sign him to a 3-year contract? This is a little bit like the Zeke situation but in reverse. If we weren't willing to pay Zeke a big contract because he was a RB then we never should have drafted him that early. Now that Dak has turned down 35M for 5 years, for that decision to make sense he can't just turn around and sign for 35M for 4 years this year. It is either going to have to be more money per year -- a lot more -- or fewer than 4 years. If not, why did Dak go through the risk of a 1-year deal in the first place?

But we know this isn't true, based on comments made by Dak's agent last year.

I am unsure of how long you have been posting on the board or, more specifically, in these threads but, allow me to say that these threads have been going on for many, many months and even years. All aspects have pretty much been discussed. This is why most you encounter will likely be very set in their views. Until more or new info is introduced, there is really nothing that will come of this IMO. Just rehash of several old discussions.

That probably sounds harsh but it's 100% true.

Motorola

Reaction score
I’m not cherry picking anything. I just gave you numerous QBs from the last 20 years. All highly ranked according to these lists. I even left off Jeff Garcia and Jake Delhomme who were both top 5 FAs. LOL
All losers. Except for Brees. Who STILL SUCKED TURDS IN SD. I guess he’s the exception cause lord knows, Dak isn’t. LOL.
In four seasons as starter, Chargers were 30-28, 12-4 (division winner) and 9-7 his final year in San Diego. Hard to label the totality of Brees tenure there as "sucked turds".

817Gill

Reaction score
I’m thinking Stafford in WAS makes sense.
That would be bad for us he can sling it. I’m hoping the Pats take him as he’s the only potentially available QB that can elevate a team this offseason. The FA’s are underwhelming and the WFT is too high up to draft.

Whether they trade for Stafford or trade up in the draft they are going to have to expend valuable resources to grab a QB.