Dak Prescott said he is not trying to become the NFL's highest-paid QB

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to ***** the value of the contract in the context of that time. Romo got a very big one and it hurt us for years

And to me that was one of the worst contracts JJ handed to a player. From the beginning how he manouvered himself into a position where we had no other choice as to sign Romo. Romo knew that and he played it fully to his advantage.

Now with Dak and his second contract we did exactly the same.

The guy tells us he looks in the mirror critical of himself asking where he has to be better? Nah.... Only to find some hairs he left out while shaving.
Romo was a couple plays in several years from going deep in the playoffs, if not all the way, if not for some really dumb plays by other players.
Then sitting your expensive qb in 2016 for...superstition?

Its really easy and in the know to just blame romo alone for lack of payoff on that contract...but just isnt so.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You have to ***** the value of the contract in the context of that time. Romo got a very big one and it hurt us for years

And to me that was one of the worst contracts JJ handed to a player. From the beginning how he manouvered himself into a position where we had no other choice as to sign Romo. Romo knew that and he played it fully to his advantage.

Now with Dak and his second contract we did exactly the same.

The guy tells us he looks in the mirror critical of himself asking where he has to be better? Nah.... Only to find some hairs he left out while shaving.
Also a big part why we couldn’t take advantage of rookie QB contract is we had to pay Romo.

khiladi

Reaction score
That’s why he didn’t get what Flacco got he got more guaranteed money to make up for it.
How did he make up for it when the contract was 14 million dollars less? When did Flacco play his last year and when did Romo play his last year?

What exactly are you responding to?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Well its good to know he does not want to be the highest paid QB.

I wish he played well enough in the playoffs to make me wish he was.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How did he make up for it when the contract was 14 million dollars less? When did Flacco play his last year and when did Romo play his last year?

What exactly are you responding to?
The contract doesn’t matter. It’s about guarantees….and he got more guarantee money then Flacco did.

khiladi

Reaction score
The contract doesn’t matter. It’s about guarantees….and he got more guarantee money then Flacco did.
How does the contract not matter if he plays out the rest of his years? Does he suddenly not become paid after the guarantees are paid out in the first few years? Does contract not affect salary cap?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How does the contract not matter if he plays out the rest of his years? Does he suddenly not become paid after the guarantees are paid out in the first few years? Does contract not affect salary cap?
You’re speaking from a hindsight point of you. I’m speaking of in 2013 Romo got more guaranteed money than Flacco. A guy coming off a SB.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Romo was a couple plays in several years from going deep in the playoffs, if not all the way, if not for some really dumb plays by other players.
Then sitting your expensive qb in 2016 for...superstition?

Its really easy and in the know to just blame romo alone for lack of payoff on that contract...but just isnt so.
Where in my post did i blame Romo ?

khiladi

Reaction score
You’re speaking from a hindsight point of you. I’m speaking of in 2013 Romo got more guaranteed money than Flacco. A guy coming off a SB.
What was I speaking about when I was talking about the contract? In fact, so what were you speaking about when you said the following:

He signed a 6 year deal in 2013. Injured in 2015…benched in 2016…2 years out of 6 is a finesse lol.

How did Romo finesse the Cowboys out of 6 years, when all that matters is the guarantee contract, per your own words?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where in my post did i blame Romo ?
I apologize that I apparently wasn't clear in my comment.

My real point is that if Romo had "gone deep"....let's say won a SB maybe, would you have a different view of his contract value?

"And to me that was one of the worst contracts JJ handed to a player."

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What was I speaking about when I was talking about the contract? In fact, so what were you speaking about when you said the following:

How did Romo finesse the Cowboys out of 6 years, when all that matters is the guarantee contract, per your own words?
He got the most guaranteed money and only got 2 out of 6 years. Finesse.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone may have already posted something similar but I have not read the entire thread. It is commonplace for player contracts to get knocked down the compensation list by the next contract.

Hypothetical: Dak Prescott and Jerry Jones hammer out a contract making him the highest paid quarterback. Two days later, another <fill in the blank> quarterback renegotiates an even bigger contract.

Technically, Prescott would only be the highest paid quarterback for less than a week. Is it possible he is saying he is not trying to be the highest paid quarterback if he believes another quarterback will supplant his contract with theirs in short order? Would that not be the best of both worlds for him?
  • Claim not to want the biggest contract
  • Actually negotiate for the biggest contract
  • Eventually receive the biggest contract
  • Quarterback B gets a bigger contract soon afterwards
  • States after Quarterback B's contract is reported that Quarterback B is the highest paid quarterback in the league, not him

Yep. Like Sargeant Murtaugh used to say, "That's pretty <expletive> thin." ha.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Someone may have already posted something similar but I have not read the entire thread. It is commonplace for player contracts to get knocked down the compensation list by the next contract.

Hypothetical: Dak Prescott and Jerry Jones hammer out a contract making him the highest paid quarterback. Two days later, another <fill in the blank> quarterback renegotiates an even bigger contract.

Technically, Prescott would only be the highest paid quarterback for less than a week. Is it possible he is saying he is not trying to be the highest paid quarterback if he believes another quarterback will supplant his contract with theirs in short order? Would that not be the best of both worlds for him?
  • Claim not to want the biggest contract
  • Actually negotiate for the biggest contract
  • Eventually receive the biggest contract
  • Quarterback B gets a bigger contract soon afterwards
  • States after Quarterback B's contract is reported that Quarterback B is the highest paid quarterback in the league, not him

Yep. Like Sargeant Murtaugh used to say, "That's pretty <expletive> thin." ha.
The s****** following "necessarily" kind of indicates he knew exactly what he meant.
Wasn't the last contract the highest 'guaranteed money', so long as the QB can boast being the highest/longest/biggest I dont think they mind.