Dak Prescott vs. Tony Romo

HungryLion

Reaction score
Dak did't actually replace romo. He replaced Romo's backup. Moore took over for Romo and Dak wasn't allowed to sniff the field untill Moore got hurt. That's right no one remembers Dak couldn't even beat out his now coordinator in practice.

Which means nothing considering Prescott has performed far better than Moore ever has in a real game.

It’s also not altogether surprising that a mid round draft pick rookie, wasn’t the primary backup to start training camp. It was Dak’s first training camp.

Moore also got injured on August 3rd. Before the first preseason game was even played. Dak then went out and had an incredible preseason. So there’s no telling if he doesn’t beat Moore out even if Moore doesn’t get hurt. If Prescott played the same way in the preseason he very well could have.

Most importantly, Moore never “took over for Romo” as you say, considering Moore was hurt way before Romo was. Romo wasn’t injured until the 3rd preseason game. Moore was hurt before the first one. So your post is just inaccurate in many ways.

Funny you criticize other people’s memories but then completely whiff on the actual facts of what happened.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Which means nothing considering Prescott has performed far better than Moore ever has in a real game.

It’s also not altogether surprising that a mid round draft pick rookie, wasn’t the primary backup to start training camp. It was Dak’s first training camp.

Moore also got injured on August 3rd. Before the first preseason game was even played. Dak then went out and had an incredible preseason. So there’s no telling if he doesn’t beat Moore out even if Moore doesn’t get hurt. If Prescott played the same way in the preseason he very well could have.

Most importantly, Moore never “took over for Romo” as you say, considering Moore was hurt way before Romo was. Romo wasn’t injured until the 3rd preseason game. Moore was hurt before the first one. So your post is just inaccurate in many ways.

Funny you criticize other people’s memories but then completely whiff on the actual facts of what happened.
Good point, he most likely beats out a healthy Moore.

NotForLong

Reaction score
That's not the only narrative being sold here.

When your QB throws for 300 yards, 3 TDs, and puts up 31 points he's not the reason you lost. The 2016 Cowboys lost in the playoffs for the same reason they usually lose in the playoffs - defense. It's hardly coincidence that the team has never won a playoff game when conceding 30+ points no matter who played QB - Meredith, Staubach, Aikman, Romo, Dak - none of them have managed it.

But none of that matters. Tony was gonna carry the Cowboys to a SB title in 2016 no matter how many points it took, even though he never did anything like that in the past. That's the narrative, and it can never be proven wrong, so it'll live on for years absent any evidence to support it.
Greenbay's secondary was in Shambles and patched together. . . So much so that Dak could throw for 300 yds

Blackrain

Reaction score
Here is the 'logic'.

#1 - It is extremely probable Romo was medically cleared to play before the first Eagles, Browns, Steelers and Raven games, the second Washington, the Vikings, the second Giants, the Buccaneers and Lions games and was not allowed to play neither a single series nor even a single down during any of those games due to an overwhelming concern that Romo would be paralyzed because the risk was too high as compared to the actual single series he was allowed to play in the second Eagles game.

#2 - The actual possibility of an injury is not dependent on a player being on the field during any given live play. In 'truth', the risk of injury itself is negligible since any given player can be allowed onto the field 'at the right scheduled time'. The latter is not considered the exception of probability but actual quantifiable fact since a real time and place where any injury shall occur can be foreseen beforehand.

#3 - It is maintained Jones and Garrett strong reasoning blocked Romo from playing due to their belief Romo would get tackled and suffer a debilitating life-long injury. They were overly protective of Romo because they feared for his well-being. They literally stonewalled Romo because they did what was best for him. Yet, it is also maintained that Romo sweet talked Jones and Garrett, overcame their grave unflinching concerns for Romo's health, and bowed to Romo's wishes into allowing him to play one last time so he could keep his future NFL goals viable. Not the team's goals. No. Romo's future NFL goals. All of the above 'happened' even though it is highly likely Romo had spoken with Jones and Garrett about his non-football career goals at some time leading up to or on November 15, 2016 when he made his concession/non-distraction speech.

Cannot beat that logic.

Heres The LOGIC short version skipping steps #1 #2 and #3 of BS. If Tonys back was good to play football with he would be doing like Breese, Brady , Rivers and Manning Trying to lead a team to a championship. He certainly possessed the skills .

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heres The LOGIC short version skipping steps #1 #2 and #3 of BS. If Tonys back was good to play football with he would be doing like Breese, Brady , Rivers and Manning Trying to lead a team to a championship. He certainly possessed the skills .
Four quarterbacks are selected for an assumption and the thought-process is as follows:

If three quarterbacks have a healthy back, then it is 'automatically applicable' that the fourth quarterback would respond and react exactly the same way as the other three quarterbacks if his back was healthy. After all, everyone thinks the same way about everything associated within their individual lives, am I right?

More 'logic'. Back to rational analysis.

______

Medical Opinion | August 28, 2016

"This was pure trauma," said [Dr. David] Chao," the L1 fracture is away from the area of disc surgery." He did have the caveat that he was unaware of the location of the cyst surgery in 2013, but didn’t feel it was related. He also noted that the transverse process injury was a different location as well, but that there was a significant difference in the two injuries.

"Not the same bone, not the same part of bone. Tony Romo’s bone is not weak. This was football trauma." Unlike the transverse injury, however, the lumbar injury is structural. "It’s much different than in 2014. There’s risk it could get worse. No immediate return to play. He can’t take a hit for six weeks." Chao did note, however, that Romo could be throwing in two weeks time as the throwing motion doesn’t adversely affect the L1 vertebra.

"The bad news is he’s out a minimum 6 weeks. The good news is there’s no surgery required. This injury heals well on its own and there should be no long term issues."

"If Tony Romo wants to play, this will not end his career. There is no medical indication for forced retirement."

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ermanent-damage-no-surgery-fine-to-play-again
_____

Quoted Media Comment | September 12, 2016

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Sunday he expects the 36-year-old quarterback will be able to return to the lineup "sooner rather than later."

Jones said Romo, who has been out since Aug. 25 with a compression fracture in his back, had follow-up X-rays last week, and there were no signs of a setback.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...erry-jones-cowboys/14lldm0p4sgv71csbh19ey4gnx
_____

Media Tweet | November 9, 2016

______

Romo Statement | November 15, 2016

"'...If you think for a second that I don’t want to be out there, then you’ve probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn’t left me. In fact it may burn more now than ever...

...And all the while your desire burns to be the best you’ve ever been. You can be both. I have figured that out in this process. It's what separates sports from everything else. It's why we love it. It's why we trust it. It's why I still want to play and compete...

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4755730/full-transcript-of-tony-romos-statement
______

Romo Statement | September 26, 2018

"I probably played much more hurt back in '13 or '14 than I would be now," Romo said during the interview. "Yeah, I'm healthy enough. That wouldn't be an issue at all. That would be the least of my thoughts when it came to a decision like that."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-enough-to-make-nfl-comeback-downplays-return

______

Media Commentary | September 26, 2018

______

Romo Statement | January 10, 2019

“I honestly think I’m more fulfilled than ever. It’s a great question. As time goes on, you appreciate what you did in life, you kind of move on. It feels like, at the time when it’s over, it’s like, whoa, this is a big decision. And then all of a sudden you move on and you’re like, this is great. I’m really enjoying where I’m at. You have your family and your kids. I feel very fortunate, let’s say that, where am in life. I don’t really look back. I feel this is exactly where I should be and feel I’m happy.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/tony-romo-nfl-comeback-nope-cbs-super-bowl-jim-nantz-quotes

______

Medical Opinion | March 1, 2019

How serious is a compression fracture?

It really depends on each patient. If several vertebra are fractured in a row, you could be dealing with an unstable fracture. Romo fractured the L1 vertebrae after colliding with a Seattle Seahawks defensive player. Although we did not treat Mr. Romo for this injury, we can say this type of injury usually does not require surgery. After a compression fracture heals, there is usually very little to no residual pain.

The vertebrae will eventually heal on it’s own. Romo did return during the 2016 season, but lost his starting position to then rookie, Dak Prescott.

https://geauxspine.com/tony-romo-a-quarterbacks-battle-with-a-compression-fracture/

______

What will be the next comment concerning the self-perpetuating fallacy about Romo's back and/or his decision for not continuing his NFL career?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Four quarterbacks are selected for an assumption and the thought-process is as follows:

If three quarterbacks have a healthy back, then it is 'automatically applicable' that the fourth quarterback would respond and react exactly the same way as the other three quarterbacks if his back was healthy. After all, everyone thinks the same way about everything associated within their individual lives, am I right?

More 'logic'. Back to rational analysis.

______

Medical Opinion | August 28, 2016

"This was pure trauma," said [Dr. David] Chao," the L1 fracture is away from the area of disc surgery." He did have the caveat that he was unaware of the location of the cyst surgery in 2013, but didn’t feel it was related. He also noted that the transverse process injury was a different location as well, but that there was a significant difference in the two injuries.

"Not the same bone, not the same part of bone. Tony Romo’s bone is not weak. This was football trauma." Unlike the transverse injury, however, the lumbar injury is structural. "It’s much different than in 2014. There’s risk it could get worse. No immediate return to play. He can’t take a hit for six weeks." Chao did note, however, that Romo could be throwing in two weeks time as the throwing motion doesn’t adversely affect the L1 vertebra.

"The bad news is he’s out a minimum 6 weeks. The good news is there’s no surgery required. This injury heals well on its own and there should be no long term issues."

"If Tony Romo wants to play, this will not end his career. There is no medical indication for forced retirement."

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ermanent-damage-no-surgery-fine-to-play-again
_____

Quoted Media Comment | September 12, 2016

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Sunday he expects the 36-year-old quarterback will be able to return to the lineup "sooner rather than later."

Jones said Romo, who has been out since Aug. 25 with a compression fracture in his back, had follow-up X-rays last week, and there were no signs of a setback.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...erry-jones-cowboys/14lldm0p4sgv71csbh19ey4gnx
_____

Media Tweet | November 9, 2016

______

Romo Statement | November 15, 2016

"'...If you think for a second that I don’t want to be out there, then you’ve probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn’t left me. In fact it may burn more now than ever...

...And all the while your desire burns to be the best you’ve ever been. You can be both. I have figured that out in this process. It's what separates sports from everything else. It's why we love it. It's why we trust it. It's why I still want to play and compete...

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4755730/full-transcript-of-tony-romos-statement
______

Romo Statement | September 26, 2018

"I probably played much more hurt back in '13 or '14 than I would be now," Romo said during the interview. "Yeah, I'm healthy enough. That wouldn't be an issue at all. That would be the least of my thoughts when it came to a decision like that."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-enough-to-make-nfl-comeback-downplays-return

______

Media Commentary | September 26, 2018

______

Romo Statement | January 10, 2019

“I honestly think I’m more fulfilled than ever. It’s a great question. As time goes on, you appreciate what you did in life, you kind of move on. It feels like, at the time when it’s over, it’s like, whoa, this is a big decision. And then all of a sudden you move on and you’re like, this is great. I’m really enjoying where I’m at. You have your family and your kids. I feel very fortunate, let’s say that, where am in life. I don’t really look back. I feel this is exactly where I should be and feel I’m happy.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/tony-romo-nfl-comeback-nope-cbs-super-bowl-jim-nantz-quotes

______

Medical Opinion | March 1, 2019

How serious is a compression fracture?

It really depends on each patient. If several vertebra are fractured in a row, you could be dealing with an unstable fracture. Romo fractured the L1 vertebrae after colliding with a Seattle Seahawks defensive player. Although we did not treat Mr. Romo for this injury, we can say this type of injury usually does not require surgery. After a compression fracture heals, there is usually very little to no residual pain.

The vertebrae will eventually heal on it’s own. Romo did return during the 2016 season, but lost his starting position to then rookie, Dak Prescott.

https://geauxspine.com/tony-romo-a-quarterbacks-battle-with-a-compression-fracture/

______

What will be the next comment concerning the self-perpetuating fallacy about Romo's back and/or his decision for not continuing his NFL career?

That has nothing to do with him being injury prone. Being cleared to play is not the same as getting injured all the time.
It's reasonable to assume fans and staff could very well be concerned about that.
Anyone who would put all their eggs in that basket would be disappointed. He missed 36 games and later in his career, it was increasing. The last 4 seasons he missed 23.
So while I was a huge fan, it was taxing getting heartbroken every time he couldn't play.

But some fans will piss and moan if we DID put Romo back in.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
That's not the only narrative being sold here.

When your QB throws for 300 yards, 3 TDs, and puts up 31 points he's not the reason you lost. The 2016 Cowboys lost in the playoffs for the same reason they usually lose in the playoffs - defense. It's hardly coincidence that the team has never won a playoff game when conceding 30+ points no matter who played QB - Meredith, Staubach, Aikman, Romo, Dak - none of them have managed it.

But none of that matters. Tony was gonna carry the Cowboys to a SB title in 2016 no matter how many points it took, even though he never did anything like that in the past. That's the narrative, and it can never be proven wrong, so it'll live on for years absent any evidence to support it.
^^^^^^^^ this

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is why i have always maintained that the decision was based more on money, cap implications and a way to get out of Romo's deal faster and cheaper, with a QB on a 4th round rookie deal it didn't really change what funds the team was allocating to the position in regards to the cap, having said that it wouldn't have made a difference to the team or cap had they given Romo his starting job back in 2016 and then made the switch to Dak in 2017, unless of course Romo took the team on a very deep run in 2016 and wanted to come back for 2017, which is why i think the decision was made in 2016 and money was the major factor
Good point!

I’ve always felt the decision was more driven by the enormous public wave of support for Dak.

Ultimately Jerry was better off losing with Dak in the playoffs than taking a chance benching him and losing with Romo.

Then once you make that decision there’s really no turning back. It wasn’t necessarily decided on who provided us the best opportunity to win and advance which of course can be argued.

And why I’ve always argued Jerry wearing both hats can be a conflict of interest for the decisions made with Cowboys Football.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That has nothing to do with him being injury prone. Being cleared to play is not the same as getting injured all the time.
With respect. I am a literal person. Romo missed a significant number of games. Depending on when a particular time frame is selected, it is correct that Romo missed 'many' or 'a lot' of games. Romo was injured many times. Romo was injured a lot of times. Romo was not injured 'all the time'.
It's reasonable to assume fans and staff could very well be concerned about that.
True. Very true.
Anyone who would put all their eggs in that basket would be disappointed. He missed 36 games and later in his career, it was increasing. The last 4 seasons he missed 23.
I agree that is how some or perhaps even many fans would feel in the way you described it. I do not disagree or deny those interpretations by others. I also have never liked any circumstances involving any player--high school, college and professional--getting injured for any length of games, especially any involving the quarterback of my favorite team.

However, my own thoughts on Romo and the 2016 season have never focused solely on him getting injured in preseason, which he was. They have never centered on the number of games he missed while he recuperated from his final sustained injury, which he did.

No. My thoughts on the matter, which usually prompt me to comment whenever threads are posted about the 2016 postseason, is that Romo was medically cleared to play at some point in or just before November of that season. He was the team's quarterback with veteran experience. Even though it is a disparaging thought for some fans, I will always support the logic behind a veteran quarterback having the better chance of leading any NFL team to the Super Bowl over a rookie quarterback.

Personally (intentionally digressing for a moment), I have little-to-zero argument with Romo being on the roster for 2017 forward. In my opinion, Romo had read the writing on the wall witnessing the pushback from Garrett (and Jones too I believe) in him regaining the starting position. It is my belief Romo would have left anyway after that season ended. My own sole perspective is totally about what Romo could have done to help the team, if healthy, in the 2016 season only.
So while I was a huge fan, it was taxing getting heartbroken every time he couldn't play.
I completely understand. It bothered me as well.
But some fans will piss and moan if we DID put Romo back in.
True. Some of the reaction you describe was as true then as it is now. Some will never get over which quarterback was better, Prescott or Romo. I do not care for those pissing matches. Prescott had proven he could lead the offense effectively at an early stage of his career. I was grateful he performed well that season.

That said, my hangup about that season and how it ended was never about Prescott but what the decision makers, Jones and Garrett, chose to do with a realized opportunity to contend for Super Bowl LI on the line. But, admittedly, exaggerated talk about Romo's back late that season does bother me somewhat also.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point!

I’ve always felt the decision was more driven by the enormous public wave of support for Dak.

Ultimately Jerry was better off losing with Dak in the playoffs than taking a chance benching him and losing with Romo.

Then once you make that decision there’s really no turning back. It wasn’t necessarily decided on who provided us the best opportunity to win and advance which of course can be argued.

And why I’ve always argued Jerry wearing both hats can be a conflict of interest for the decisions made with Cowboys Football.
I disagree with the bold, as you know from our previous conversations. In my opinion, Jones never thought that way but truly believed Prescott was good enough to win the Super Bowl. A number of people (if not many) shared the same euphoria as Jones that season. I do not believe Jones made the decision with Garrett thinking how the results would be looked upon by the football world.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I have no problem with Romo i like him as a person. I just knew he would never get us to a SB after 2006-2007.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
With respect. I am a literal person. Romo missed a significant number of games. Depending on when a particular time frame is selected, it is correct that Romo missed 'many' or 'a lot' of games. Romo was injured many times. Romo was injured a lot of times. Romo was not injured 'all the time'.
True. Very true.
I agree that is how some or perhaps even many fans would feel in the way you described it. I do not disagree or deny those interpretations by others. I also have never liked any circumstances involving any player--high school, college and professional--getting injured for any length of games, especially any involving the quarterback of my favorite team.

However, my own thoughts on Romo and the 2016 season have never focused solely on him getting injured in preseason, which he was. They have never centered on the number of games he missed while he recuperated from his final sustained injury, which he did.

No. My thoughts on the matter, which usually prompt me to comment whenever threads are posted about the 2016 postseason, is that Romo was medically cleared to play at some point in or just before November of that season. He was the team's quarterback with veteran experience. Even though it is a disparaging thought for some fans, I will always support the logic behind a veteran quarterback having the better chance of leading any NFL to the Super Bowl over a rookie quarterback.

Personally (intentionally digressing for a moment), I have little-to-zero argument with Romo being on the roster for 2017 forward. In my opinion, Romo had read the writing on the wall witnessing the pushback from Garrett (and Jones too I believe) in him regaining the starting position. It is my belief Romo would have left anyway after that season ended. My own sole perspective is totally about what Romo could have done to help the team, if healthy, in the 2016 season only.
I completely understand. It bothered me as well.
True. Some of the reaction you describe was as true then as it is now. Some will never get over which quarterback was better, Prescott or Romo. I do not care for those pissing matches. Prescott had proven he could lead the offense effectively at an early stage of his career. I was grateful he performed well that season.

That said, my hangup about that season and how it ended was never about Prescott but what the decision makers, Jones and Garrett, chose to do with a realized opportunity to contend for Super Bowl LI on the line. But, admittedly, exaggerated talk about Romo's back late that season does bother me somewhat also.
Unless Romo would have been a ref that game or could have covered jared cook on that catch it wouldnt have mattered

shabazz

Reaction score
I am a fan of both. I am A Cowboys fan. I support and back all our players. I thought Romo was a great QB. He didn’t start out that way. I think Dak can be a great QB he had a huge start with that rookie year and will now be expected to get better than that every year.

But the thin* is that he’s not getting better and in fact,regressing. Finishing #18 in total QBR is nothing to be proud of. His dink and Dunk style of Qb is weak. The ghost of Antonio Romero Romo will haunt our current imposter at the Qb position for the rest of his short lived career