Dak Prescott's Strengths

starcity214

Reaction score
True but he has put up a couple 3 point stinkers in season ending blowout losses where he was a deer in the headlights, turnover machine. But those 3 points do get him the benefit of saying he was never shut out. Thank you, Nick Folk and Shaun Suisham.

Actually, deer in the headlights is a little generous. He was more like a fawn learning to walk.

I mean , I get it you don't like Romo and you're entitled to have your own opinion, but if Romo was always throwing picks, he must have averaged 500 yards 5 TDs and 0 INTS the rest of the games in his career because he has a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio..

We got so used to Romo playing great that some of us seem to only remember the 10 bad games in his entire career..

starcity214

Reaction score
If that's all he has then he doesn't possess the skills to be an NFL QB. I think you missed something because he has presented more than just what you give him credit for. An NFL QB has to think quick, read defenses and act on that information. Without that, he'll never make it in this league. Do you not see those things in Dak too?

Have you watched any of the game tape reviews done by the YouTube film guys?

I know, I know... what do they know right?

Tape don't lie.

Dak continues to miss wide open receivers and he struggles to recognize simple coverages to this day.

I feel bad for Linehan. At this point, he has to reinvent the game of football in order for Dak to look good.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
A gimmicky offense that relies heavily on running the ball which doesn’t translate to long term sustainable success in today’s NFL.

If your QB can’t stand in the pocket, read a defense, and throw the ball down the field in an accurate and timely manor your OC is going to be pretty freaking handcuffed. Sure, there are different things an OC can do to help Dak, but what happens when the D adjusts? Consistently completing passes 10+ yards down the field isn’t much to ask and no matter what gimmicks you come up with winning big/important games long term is going to come down to that.

We have been watching since 2017 what happens when DCs adjust.

But all of us want to fire the OC who has had a long successfull career in the NFL.

Id say yes: stick to the guy who had 1 good year because nobody knew about his weaknessess and give the proven OC the boot.

I dont say we should stick to Linehan. I just challenge you all to bring your logic to mind.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I mean , I get it you don't like Romo and you're entitled to have your own opinion, but if Romo was always throwing picks, he must have averaged 500 yards 5 TDs and 0 INTS the rest of the games in his career because he has a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio..

We got so used to Romo playing great that some of us seem to only remember the 10 bad games in his entire career..
I loved Romo while he was playing. I just like to treat him like the current QB is treated and I don’t believe in making him appear greater than what he actually was.

75boyz

Reaction score

Tape don't lie.

Dak continues to miss wide open receivers and he struggles to recognize simple coverages to this day.

I feel bad for Linehan. At this point, he has to reinvent the game of football in order for Dak to look good.

Nail on head. This should become the all encompassing reference point stickied post bro. Additionally to Youtube, its like how many different retired and credible quarterbacks hafta point out on game film the countless plays that are left on the field EVERY SINGLE GAME? Yeah, lacking in creativity and totally predictable but He is THE PRIMARY REASON for this as plenty of points have not been scored based off his basic inability to throw accurately consistently. It really is as simple as that.

tm1119

Reaction score
This 'throw down the field' narrative is such BS. Go look at NextGen passing charts. QBs throw 20+ yards downfield infrequently. They're low percentage plays.

Dak’s average air yards per pass is 5.2...that’s 6th lowest among qbs with at least 200 attempts. The only exception below Dak is Big Ben, very surprising he averages less than 5.2 yards per throw. Stafford, Bortles, Carr and Cam are the others below Dak.

And I’m not expecting Dak to constantly throw the ball down the field, but he needs to take a few shots as the game goes along to keep the D honest. Seems like he goes deep on early scripted plays in the 1st or 2nd drive and then the offense shuts down. And I know the play calling doesn’t help, but he just seems afraid to take a chance most of the time. The D can’t win us every game, Dak will have to. And I can see Tampa scoring some and putting pressure on Dak tomorrow

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Tape don't lie.

Those guys cherry-pick footage to tell any story they want to tell. Doesn't make it true. Dak's highlight reel makes him look like the greatest QB ever but you know that isn't true either, right? So why do you believe the YouTube film guys BS propaganda? Linehan is not to be sympathized. He lacks the ability to draw up a game plan to maximize this team's talent on a consistent basis and I'm not just talking about Dak. Have you seen how he underutilizes Zeke on the goal line?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Dak’s average air yards per pass is 5.2...that’s 6th lowest among qbs with at least 200 attempts. The only exception below Dak is Big Ben, very surprising he averages less than 5.2 yards per throw. Stafford, Bortles, Carr and Cam are the others below Dak.

And I’m not expecting Dak to constantly throw the ball down the field, but he needs to take a few shots as the game goes along to keep the D honest. Seems like he goes deep on early scripted plays in the 1st or 2nd drive and then the offense shuts down. And I know the play calling doesn’t help, but he just seems afraid to take a chance most of the time. The D can’t win us every game, Dak will have to. And I can see Tampa scoring some and putting pressure on Dak tomorrow

My comment was directed towards the group that thinks throwing the ball 20+ in the air is an accuracy contest and that any QB makes it better than a low percentage play. I know we need to take our shots, but overthrowing the deep ball is common for all QBs.

Here's the list of QBs for week 15 and their 20+ results:

Player/# of attempts over 20yds/completions

Week 15

Cam 0 (he's hurt. I get it)
Foles 2/4
Goff 1/4
Big Ben 1/6 1 int
Brady 2/7
Wilson 2/5
Eli 2/6
Mariotta 0/1
Cousins 1/1
Josh Johnson 1/4
Kessler 0/0
Luck 1/3
Dak 0/2
Driskel 0/5
Rodgers 1/7
Stafford 3/3
Josh Allen 2/5
Lamar Jackson 1/1
Glennon 0/2
Rosen 1/1
Ryan 3/5
Keenum 1/4 2 Ints
Darnold 1/5
Rivers 3/7 2 Ints
Mahomes 3/6

Total: 32/90, 5 Ints = low percentage play.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I see this as a common theme on this board and the radio shows: We need an OC that can design plays around Dak's strengths.

IMO here are Dak's strengths: Great Leadership skills, Great Character, good work ethic, big body and tough to bring down, 'good' runner, Durable, throws well outside the pocket

(I wholeheartedly admin the big 3 he has: Leadership, Character and Durability are amazing traits to have in your franchise QB and those are not teachable by coaching, these skills are inherent)

So what would an offense designed around his strengths look like exactly?
A scheme that maximized the number of skilled players with Scoring abilities esp on passing downs. More rb and Slot wr integration. Less fb and te passing snaps since they are worthless and have no Success on paper. If you can't score go sit on the bench until you get better as a receiver

gmoney112

Reaction score
No one has mentioned he's been one of the most efficient passers in the league off play-action since he was drafted, in a league moving toward heavy play-action?

Y'all weak.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
True but he has put up a couple 3 point stinkers in season ending blowout losses where he was a deer in the headlights, turnover machine. But those 3 points do get him the benefit of saying he was never shut out. Thank you, Nick Folk and Shaun Suisham.

Actually, deer in the headlights is a little generous. He was more like a fawn learning to walk.

Romo never scored only 3 points in a season ending game...……...hard to take anything you say for real when you cant even get basic facts correct.

Google is your friend...…….learn to use it...…….get your facts correct...…….then comeback and we can have a discussion...…..ok champ

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Bennie

Reaction score

Nah it's not that, it's the sheep that let the media dictate how they think. Romo was pigged that way due to the fumbled field goal aginst Seattle. Once that narrative started, any mistake made was blow up to be worse then any other QBs in the NFL.

Shneek814

Reaction score
Dak needs more designed runs early and throughout the game. We need to run more slants, crosses, and move receivers around. Less TE’s and more 4-5 wide sets. We need more speed out there...
Or feed Zeke... Any other OC would

Number1

Reaction score
I see this as a common theme on this board and the radio shows: We need an OC that can design plays around Dak's strengths.

IMO here are Dak's strengths: Great Leadership skills, Great Character, good work ethic, big body and tough to bring down, 'good' runner, Durable, throws well outside the pocket

(I wholeheartedly admin the big 3 he has: Leadership, Character and Durability are amazing traits to have in your franchise QB and those are not teachable by coaching, these skills are inherent)

it would look something like this O but, with more slants and roll outs, I'd shorten the read progressions and scramble sooner with pressure rather than pretending pretending it'll hold up next time or resorting to screens

I realize much of what they can do is limited by injuries and no Witten or Dez or TWill, say what you will about Dez and TWill, they came down with the ball

Dak was drafted to play in JG's play action deep timing system - notice no one was questioning Dak's deep game in 2016

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
....and so well spoken?

But on a serious note he makes a lot of commercials for the #22 ranked Qb in the Nfl.....so there’s that

Dak Prescott's net worth. Dak Prescott is reportedly worth close to $3.5million, according to the wealth record.Oct 14, 2018

Not bad for one of the worst passers in the NFL.......the Stars shine power has money for everyone I guess ...even the inept....!!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

The team could do 1 thing with its current coaches that could improve the whole offense. use bunch sets that "naturally" free up a WR for long gains after catch. Thats the nfl today and thats what they dont use.