Dak Prescott's Strengths

black label

Reaction score
LOL.

You watch a handful of plays...the only one that was bad was the overthrow to a wide open cooper. That was bad and he seems to have 1 of those a game now.

The throw to #85 would have been a TD if not for the PI that wasn't called.

The other plays are debatable at who is at fault or if there is even an issue.

stop with the internet detective stuff, ive watched every cowboy play since 1974 nice try though

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Lol different era. Romo isn’t a HOF by any imagine tho. Dak keeps racking up the W’s like he’s doing he will be one tho
Never said Romo belongs in the HOF. I'm talking about other QBs. Now you're saying Dak will be a hall of Famer? What the f** is wrong with you? 40 year old virgins apparently love Dak for some reason. :huh:

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Never said Romo belongs in the HOF. I'm talking about other QBs. Now you're saying Dak will be a hall of Famer? What the f** is wrong with you? 40 year old virgins apparently love Dak for some reason. :huh:
If Dak continues to win he is a lock for HOF. Highest win percentage ever for a QB since entering the league

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Dak continues to win he is a lock for HOF. Highest win percentage ever for a QB since entering the league

You really are delusional. This team has carried Dak not the other way around. Yes Dak can throw short check down passes to keep his completion percentage up but he is still s terrible passer. He is averaging 1 TD a game, that is near last in the league. He throws a terrible pass, even when it's catchable he makes it so hard for his receivers to catch it. If the OL isn't perfect he gets exposed as a fraud. We couldn't trade him for bortles unless we throw in some draft pics.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dak with no deep ball has a top 10 all time passer rating. With a deep ball he’s an undeniable top 5 quarterback.

If half those misses turn into connections cowboys will be in multiple nfc championship games

And "if" Garrett had a clue how to coach, we would have been to the NFCCG by now.

But we dont live in a "what if" world, do we?

Garrett cant coach and Dak cant throw a deep ball and a million "ifs" aint changing either fact.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Wrong, Tavon Austin is the fastest receiver on this team, like I already said. Tavon ran a 4.34 and Amari ran a 4.42 in the combine Tavon ran an unofficial 4.25 that was adjusted to 4.34.

I was responding to the poster who commented this team needs more speed. Gallup is fast, the comment wasn't about his ability as WR or his chemistry with Dak.

Regardless of the numbers, the statement that we need more speed is wrong, this team has plenty of speed at the WR group as well as RB.

Tavon cant run a route tree...…….that is why he is only a gimmick player with sweeps and wildcat plays.

Dont matter how fast you are if you cant run a route tree in the NFL...……….I mean, the freaking Rams with mad scientist McVeigh drawing up Madden plays didnt want the guy. That is how bad he sucks as a WR.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Tavon cant run a route tree...…….that is why he is only a gimmick player with sweeps and wildcat plays.

Dont matter how fast you are if you cant run a route tree in the NFL...……….I mean, the freaking Rams with mad scientist McVeigh drawing up Madden plays didnt want the guy. That is how bad he sucks as a WR.

He had a couple moments early in the year when he got open on some vertical routes, but yeah, just not a good WR.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Dak better than romo.

If he develop a deep ball he’s a top 5 quarterback
And developed pocket presences, accuracy on intermediate routes, fade routes, didn't take so many sacks, processed info faster and know the appropriate pass to throw in a given situation .

Reaction score
If the D adjusts then the OCs job is to adjust with it. Our OC and Coach have no concept of what to do to adjust. They both want Dak to run the offense as they drew it out on paper.

If we had coaches that can adjust to Dak's strengths then you would probably have a point. But our coaches don't adjust. They stick with the same gameplan over and over, win or lose.

Put some meat in your statement. How do you want them to adjust, what are Dak's strenghts you want them to utilize?

Reaction score
DAN CASEY
I’ve had some younger quarterbacks on my teams, and with a traditional drop back, you’re asking them to identify a coverage. You’re asking them to make maybe a secondary or a third read. And that’s actually really difficult for a young quarterback to do.

With the RPO stuff, it’s like, “All right, dude. Look at the Mike backer. If the Mike backer steps up, you throw the slant behind him. And if the Mike backer drops, you hand it off to the running back.” And so it’s literally simplified it so much for my quarterback that he almost doesn’t even have to think.

We have seen some RPO with Prescott, but I agree we should probably see more.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
he has the biggest man crush on Dak. to him Dak can do no wrong. there is a rumor that he has a poster of topless Dak on the ceiling in his bedroom and a half used bottle of Vaseline....

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Dak with no deep ball has a top 10 all time passer rating. With a deep ball he’s an undeniable top 5 quarterback.

If half those misses turn into connections cowboys will be in multiple nfc championship games
Do you understand how football actually works? QB's who throw short routes will have a higher passer rating because those shorter routes are easier to complete. Look at Steve Young running the WCO.

Reaction score
The way I'd break down the positives are.

-Natural confidence and swagger. An easy leader.
-Makes multiple reads and throws to the open man. He'll distribute the ball rather than lock on.
-Short accuracy is better than he gets credit for. The big misses stick out, but his completion percentage doesn't lie.
-Doesn't wilt when pressure comes. Even after he spins out, he's still looking to throw.
-Pretty good athlete.
-Built strong enough to run regularly. Has power while running which is uncommon for a QB
-Arm's not big, but it's not a liability either. He can hit all the throws.
-Takes care of the football while passing. Doesn't force 50-50 throws or hero ball it. Very low INT percentage.
-Really, REALLY good at selling play action, which I think Linehan severely underutilizes.
-Throws an okay deep ball. Obviously he misses on a lot of deep throws, but 75% of deep balls league-wide go incomplete, it's a lower percentage play than people think.

The downsides I'd say are

-Doesn't "see" space well at all. Needs to watch a receiver separate before he pulls the trigger. Poor anticipation.
-Seems very average processing the game mentally. Doesn't call many audibles, falls into coverage baits teams leave for him. Zone kills him.
-Good for a couple absolutely brutal misfires every game. When he misses, he tends to miss high.
-Seems legitimately afraid to throw it over the middle, probably related to point #1 above.
-Not sure if this is Linehan or Dak, but he checks it down on 3rd down FAR too willingly rather than challenging the defense at the sticks.
-Doesn't manage collapsing pockets well. Either he spins out wide or he stands still. Doesn't know how to step up.
-Fumbles a ton when he gets trapped in said collapsing pockets.
-Poor touch on throws, can't hit stuff like fades.
-Holds the ball too long and eats some ugly sacks. Virtually never throws the ball away.

The way I see it, Dak will never be a Romo type field general, mostly because of that mental aspect. He's a good enough underneath passer and careful enough with the football to be a bus driver, but if we're going to roll with him, he'll need talent around him and he'll need to be managed. He is what he is, a bottom-half NFL QB.

If I was an OC, I would manage Prescott a lot like how McVay manages Goff. You're going to be a run-first team by necessity. Play action and RPO heavily off of that to keep defenses thinking, and use picks and screens to feed Dak a lot of easy one-read throws. When defenses start keying in on that, you can hit them with the run game. When defenses start crowding the line to play both of those, you can dial up some deep balls, assuming you have the WRs like Coop and Gallup who can separate deep from single coverage. This is why Dak sucked so bad at the beginning of the year, and why McVay pays so much for deep threats like Watkins and Cooks. Ideally, it would be sort of a Dak and Dunk offense like we saw in 2016, only with more modern passing concepts that Linehan refuses to incorporate.

The way to play Dak is the way we've seen a lot of defenses pay him. Drop your safeties down to stop Zeke, play underneath and "sticks" coverage aggressively, and take your chances over the top.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer the question. Good stuff for sure, I think those are tangible arguments. My concern would still be his (like you mentioned) middle of the field plays because of his 'space' issues. Perhaps though getting more comfortable throughout the game would help. But he has to start making those throws. :cheers: