Dak ranked 1 QB in passer success based on Week 1

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our rankings factor accuracy, passing yardage, touchdown/interception ratio and team result. They are passer ratings only and do not include a QB’s running statistics.

It is effectively a variant on the NFL’s passer rating stat
This seems really goofy. What do they mean by team result and why do they include it? Why TD/INT ratio instead of TD% and INT%? Why not include running stats or sacks? I mean, if you're not going to use passer rating, why develop something that has the same limitations as passer rating?

I'll take Football Outsiders' DYAR and DVOA over this, thanks. For the record, they had Dak 3rd in DYAR (the cumulative measure), behind Stafford and Mahomes. They had him 12th in DVOA (the rate measure), where he presumably suffers because of the dink-and-dunk nature (low YPA) of a lot of the passing on Thursday. The INT hurts too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This seems really goofy. What do they mean by team result and why do they include it? Why TD/INT ratio instead of TD% and INT%? Why not include running stats or sacks? I mean, if you're not going to use passer rating, why develop something that has the same limitations as passer rating?

I'll take Football Outsiders' DYAR and DVOA over this, thanks. For the record, they had Dak 3rd in DYAR (the cumulative measure), behind Stafford and Mahomes. They had him 12th in DVOA (the rate measure), where he presumably suffers because of the dink-and-dunk nature (low YPA) of a lot of the passing on Thursday. The INT hurts too.
I think its a stat that's to judge how a QB is PASSING the football.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hear you.

fwiw....They did have a higher-rated pass defense than the Bucs last year.

But the overall team is not in the same conversation
I'm just basing it on what I saw on Sunday night. That secondary did not look good. Guys running wide open. Factor in all Stafford had to do was outscore Andy Dalton? It was a favorable matchup. I'm not taking anything away from Stafford. He looked real scary. I was one of his doubters this offseason because I think he is exactly what he's shown us which is a good but not great quarterback. But he was great Sunday night regardless of competition. But its night and day against the Buccs are far as competition goes.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think its a stat that's to judge how a QB is PASSING the football.
I don't see anything suggesting it's better than the stat we already have that measures passing (the passer rating), and when it includes "team result," that sure sounds like it's trying to measure something more than QB passing.

Plus, in what world are sacks unrelated to QB passing? Well, he completed 4 passes for 100 yards and a TD, but also stood back there and got sacked 10 times for 100 yards and a couple fumbles, isn't he great?

And why do we want to measure only a slice of QB performance anyway, while ignoring all the other stuff?

OldJarhead

Reaction score
Just another silly QBR kind of rating system. He played a good game. Not perfect, not bad. The bad thing is he has a crappy OC and a poor Defense. It was a winnable ball game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't see anything suggesting it's better than the stat we already have that measures passing (the passer rating), and when it includes "team result," that sure sounds like it's trying to measure something more than QB passing.

Plus, in what world are sacks unrelated to QB passing? Well, he completed 4 passes for 100 yards and a TD, but also stood back there and got sacked 10 times for 100 yards and a couple fumbles, isn't he great?

And why do we want to measure only a slice of QB performance anyway, while ignoring all the other stuff?
Oh I don't think its better honestly. Well I mean I guess its somewhat better than Passer Rating.

And to most sacks are a reflection of the offensive line not the QB....I mean I guess there's a way to decipher if its the fault of the QB or the line......much harder to do though.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting. All I've heard all week is how good Herbert is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Interesting. All I've heard all week is how good Herbert is.
Beating up a piss poor WFT team will do that lol. People want to crown him though so it is only inevitable....they will talk about how bad our defense is but if he lights it up then all of a sudden it means something more than what it was.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I don't think its better honestly. Well I mean I guess its somewhat better than Passer Rating.

And to most sacks are a reflection of the offensive line not the QB....I mean I guess there's a way to decipher if its the fault of the QB or the line......much harder to do though.
Since I don't know how it's calculated, I have no idea if it's better than passer rating (although including "team result" really has me doubting). Sure, the OL has some responsibility for sacks, but QBs who stand back there too long are at least partially to blame. And it's not like the formula accounts for the behind-the-LOS screen pass to a running back that ends up going for an 80-yard TD. The QB is given full credit for that.