Dak should have signed the contract!

Swanny

Reaction score
Should have? Yes! But he gambled on himself. I like that he took the gamble. He will still get a very similar contract

Swagger

Reaction score
Any team signing Prescott will be taking a risk as there won't be any proof of how he will perform until he starts playing competition football again.

So his value has already decreased by default. If he illustrates that the injury has had no ill effects by playing in competitive games next season then his value will subsequently go up again.

superonyx

Reaction score
What if Dalton comes in and is just as good.

Does Dak still get all the money?

If this year has shown me anything it’s that this team is far away from being a contender and paying a QB 40 million that isn’t elite would not be a great move for us.
That's what this season has shown you? Of all the things this year could have shown you this is the one takeaway you came away with?

So we have a high level QB and the worst defense in team history and a great idea is to blow a hole in the hardest position to fill in all team sports? That sounds awesome. Then we can spend a first round draft pick on a QB and pray we can beat the odds and hopefully not end up with another Trubiski, Marriota, Winston, Darnold, ect. (its a long list).
I guess you want to instead go out on the market and buy some free agent defensive players.... heck with the money we save we could probably get another D Law and Poe or Jaylon Smith....

superonyx

Reaction score
Any team signing Prescott will be taking a risk as there won't be any proof of how he will perform until he starts playing competition football again.

So his value has already decreased by default. If he illustrates that the injury has had no ill effects by playing in competitive games next season then his value will subsequently go up again.
Nah.... Its a broken ankle not a severely injured throwing shoulder or a bad back.
Teams know these elite athletes and what type of injuries will hold them back in the future. Broken bones are not concerns. Nerves, tendon, ligaments in knees... these things scare people from speed positions. A QB with a broken ankle just isnt on that list. Heck Tua was drafted very early first round with 5 times the injury history.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Dak will be fine.. He will get paid a ton of money this season and will be due a huge raise one way or another next year. The only way he doesn't get a big deal is if he never makes it back to the field. Which there is about a zero % chance of.

Wishful thinking here. Dak won’t be making more than 31 million next season.

Swagger

Reaction score
Nah.... Its a broken ankle not a severely injured throwing shoulder or a bad back.
Teams know these elite athletes and what type of injuries will hold them back in the future. Broken bones are not concerns. Nerves, tendon, ligaments in knees... these things scare people from speed positions. A QB with a broken ankle just isnt on that list. Heck Tua was drafted very early first round with 5 times the injury history.
If i'm a GM i'm not paying Prescott $40 million a season after that type of injury. I take you point and to a degree I agree with you although the ankle was dislocated as well which could complicate matters. Either way I would have to see him play competitive football before making such a big commitment.

But then I wouldn't have drafted Tua early in the first round either, I was always in the Herbert camp over him.

John813

Reaction score
I was thinking about this and I believe prominent players will start to ask for extensions after year 3 and some may not be willing to risk going out playing on tags.

While Dak should be fine moving forward, if this was a RB/WR/TE, you could forget about them getting a huge extension the next offseason. Dak should still be fine financially moving forward but for other skill roles an injury like this would of been brutal for their career/career earnings.

Cmac

Reaction score
Contract? CONTRACT??????????? ??????????????????

Man, ain't nobody worried about Dak's contract in a time like this. Right now the main thing is getting him through this mess, rehab, and crossing fingers he can play again.
True and obvious for all the right reasons (his pockets only).......but he should be.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Dak will be back. Judging by their reactions on the field after his injury, it looks his teammates consider him the heart and soul of their team. Judging by the look of the Jones family's response of sadness and shock also, they want him back too. Injuries are part of football. he may or may not get a much money as he would have gotten before the injury, but he will still get paid well and he will still be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Bet on it, I am.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's what this season has shown you? Of all the things this year could have shown you this is the one takeaway you came away with?

So we have a high level QB and the worst defense in team history and a great idea is to blow a hole in the hardest position to fill in all team sports? That sounds awesome. Then we can spend a first round draft pick on a QB and pray we can beat the odds and hopefully not end up with another Trubiski, Marriota, Winston, Darnold, ect. (its a long list).
I guess you want to instead go out on the market and buy some free agent defensive players.... heck with the money we save we could probably get another D Law and Poe or Jaylon Smith....

It's much easier to find QB's now days.

We found Dak in the 4th round.

We're about to witness minimal drop off with what many said was one of the worst QB's in the league in Dalton.

Dalton is going to get Dak like results. Is he is good as Dak? No.. But Dak isn't 37 million dollars a year better.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
This team has no core players who can be considered as a bedrock or a foundation of the team. Dak might be the closest thing to that. Maybe CeeDee will develop into that. Defense is literally a disaster zone, littered with bad contracts and subpar talent.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Had Dak signed that $150M with $75-100M guaranteed and then got injured, the fan base and media would be ripping to shreds Jerry and Stephen for screwing the cap and team for the next 3 years. Also, same media and fan base would be bad-mouthing Dak for screwing the cap and team with his greed.

Jerry can take care of Dak outside of the cap if he so desires. Jerry can give Dak $20M/year as an assistant coach if he wants to. He has the money. Jerry paid Justin Timberlake $5-10M to sing at his Hall of Fame party.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Had Dak signed that $150M with $75-100M guaranteed and then got injured, the fan base and media would be ripping to shreds Jerry and Stephen for screwing the cap and team for the next 3 years. Also, same media and fan base would be bad-mouthing Dak for screwing the cap and team with his greed.

Jerry can take care of Dak outside of the cap if he so desires. Jerry can give Dak $20M/year as an assistant coach if he wants to. He has the money. Jerry paid Justin Timberlake $5-10M to sing at his Hall of Fame party.

Agreed.....Dak is going to be rich for the rest of his life no matter what. Dak should have signed the 5 year deal. Both can be true at the same time.

Cmac

Reaction score

…..but then JJ would have to wait until it's time to hire KMoore as the HC.

Cydios

Reaction score
You know, this is where it's going to get ugly.

Setting aside feelings, Jerry cannot pay Dak unless he makes a full comeback. IF the Red Rocket does well, which is a very good possibility, Dak won't come in unless he's needed. (example Alex Smith) I also hate to say this, but for the team, the no-sign was a slight blessing to the business. (again setting aside feelings) If Dak signed a 4-5 yr contract eating up the cap money, and Dak's injury sidelines him AND lowers his value and productivity, Dallas would be dead in the water for that time.

Putting feelings back in.. Dallas has a PR issue here. If they do not work with Dak, This team will lose face bigtime and fans. The man puts his heart in the game, and you see him supporting the team on a stretcher.. crying his heart out, dealing with his brother, his mother and depression issues. This will paint a very bad picture on Jones and Dallas.

Either way, I do not envy the GM right now. Time will tell and I will say the Dak needs to fire his agent like NOW. I love Dak, never complains, says the right thing and pumps his team up. That's all heart and love of the game.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Regardless of how you feel about Dak, we can all agree on one thing: It's highly unlikely that post-injury-and-recovered Dak will be better than pre-injury Dak. As such there is no reason he should command the same pay he would have gotten pre-injury. Something like $29 million a year, maybe. But not $40 million a year - not unless he can somehow demonstrate that he's just as good as before, and that will take a good sample size of games to prove.