Dak vs. Trevor Lawrence is not an either-or choice

KB1122

Reaction score
this team honestly needs to spend multiple high picks getting some cornerstone defensive players

We're going to have 4 compensatory picks. We can move back into the first round from an early 2nd round pick. Or just take 7 players in Rounds 2-4.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
We're going to have 4 compensatory picks. We can move back into the first round from an early 2nd round pick. Or just take 7 players in Rounds 2-4.

Falling in love with draft picks does nothing for this team. We have the worst general manager in football.

KB1122

Reaction score
If I'm Trevor Lawrence I would demand a trade immediately if I was going to have to sit on the bench until 25-26. He's a day one started wherever he goes.

1) I assume he would get a lot of playing time.
2) He could win the starting job outright.
3) He's not going to ask for a trade to Carolina when he can be the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys if he is just patient.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
1) I assume he would get a lot of playing time.
2) He could win the starting job outright.
3) He's not going to ask for a trade to Carolina when he can be the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys if he is just patient.

Realistically I don't see us getting a shot at #1. Do we stay at 2 wins all year? I doubt it. Do the Jets win more than 1-2 games? I doubt it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This Dak vs. Trevor Lawrence debate is starting among Cowboys fans. It is being presented as "If you have the chance, do you take Trevor Lawrence with a top 5 pick, or do you stick with Dak Prescott?"

The answer is: you do both.

Lawrence just turned 21. Dak is 27. When Dak is 32 or 33. at the end of whatever contract is being contemplated, Lawrence will be 25/26. There is enough of an age difference to make it worth the value.

If Lawrence comes in and quickly turns into an elite quarterback, then Dak becomes valuable trade bait. If Lawrence busts, we still have Dak.

People will create reasons that this won't be a thing, probably talking about "splitting the locker room" and so forth. But both Troy and Roger had to fight for their spot with genuine competition (or at least the perception of such).
It is either or because if you stick with Dak you need to use that first round pick to build the team - probably a trade that gets more draft picks - and if you go with Lawrence you need to use that money that would otherwise go to Dak to build the team. There is no point to having either of them if you can't build a team around them.

Cmac

Reaction score
Now we relying on Video Game Analysis?.....Trevor is good at the college level....He will not make a difference to this team.....in fact he will get humbled early....by the playing with Men vs Boys adjustment, the OL issues, and the KMoore play-callin'...but he would be a glamor pick with the long locks and a marketing media lovefest by many on here.

My pick: Dak...already been through this mess.