Dak vs. Trevor Lawrence is not an either-or choice

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There are a million 6’4 quarterbacks with big arms like Joe Flacco in the league.

It’s this dumb coach stereotype that makes GM pick horrible quarterbacks like Daniel Jones, Blain Gabbert, and more likely than not Trevor Lawrence.

It’s no coincidence the best quarterbacks and (back to back to likely back again MVPS) in the league are

Mahomes
Wilson (likely the MVP)
And
Lamar Jackson
Joe Flacco won the Super Bowl and he was the reason why the Ravens won not the defense. The Ravens decided to pay him lots of money and neglected improvement on the offensive side of the ball through the draft. Fields, Wilson and Lance could be good as well. It’s about if you trust giving Dak a record breaking contract or take a chance on a 5 year prospect. I honestly don’t know what direction you should go.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Free agency in itself is bargain bin shopping lol.
Not really. Players like Shelby Harris, Adiran Amos, Johnathan Hankins sign every freaking off-season for mid tier prices.

Problem is this franchise believes you either 1. Have to sign max contracts to the all-pro free agents or 2. Buy the left overs for cheap.

There is such things as solid mid level starters for reasonable prices but our front office isn't down for that logic.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not really. Players like Shelby Harris, Adiran Amos, Johnathan Hankins sign every freaking off-season for mid tier prices.

Problem is this franchise believes you either 1. Have to sign max contracts to the all-pro free agents or 2. Buy the left overs for cheap.

There is such things as solid mid level starters for reasonable prices but our front office isn't down for that logic.
Those are bargain bin shopping. This team needs playmakers.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Those are bargain bin shopping. This team needs playmakers.
Playmakers are nice but the defense is so far behind that they actually need at least a handful of players that can actually play professional football.

We can't have 1 or 2 playermakers and then a bunch of back-ups playing defense. Greenbay in the 2019 off-season signed 3 legimate starters along with drafting Savage (so total 4 upgraded D starters) and they didn't even look like the same team.

It's also a win-win because when you actually legitmately try to rebuild you often end up with a suprise playmaker or 2 in the process

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Playmakers are nice but the defense is so far behind that they actually need at least a handful of players that can actually play professional football.

We can't have 1 or 2 playermakers and then a bunch of back-ups playing defense. Greenbay in the 2019 off-season signed 3 legimate starters along with drafting Savage (so total 4 upgraded D starters) and they didn't even look like the same team.

It's also a win-win because when you actually legitmately try to rebuild you often end up with a suprise playmaker or 2 in the process
I disagree. I think if these players were on different teams they'd be contributing. No one can convince me LVE, Lawrence, Griffen, Aldon and Woods are bad players. If these guys were free agents they would've been picked up swiftly.

This team needs playmakers and yes they do pop up every once in awhile in free agency but you can't make it in this league strictly relying on free agency. You have to remember there are reasons why those players are in free agency to begin with.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
If I'm Trevor Lawrence I would demand a trade immediately if I was going to have to sit on the bench until 25-26. He's a day one started wherever he goes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Fields will be better than Lawrence. He reminds me of a less polished but bigger Russel Wilson.

He looks like Dak with more athleticism to me.

I need to watch more but I’m not real impressed with his game transitioning to the pro’s.. He just looks like a solid player to me.. Nothing elite about him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It is absolutely an either/or. You don't draft a guy #1 overall to be a backup lol.
I mean you do but Cowboys are in this rare situation that I don't see them franchising a guy for 40 million and then drafting a QB 1st overall. Resources are too limited to invest that much into quarterback.

star-ving

Reaction score
This Dak vs. Trevor Lawrence debate is starting among Cowboys fans. It is being presented as "If you have the chance, do you take Trevor Lawrence with a top 5 pick, or do you stick with Dak Prescott?"

The answer is: you do both.

Lawrence just turned 21. Dak is 27. When Dak is 32 or 33. at the end of whatever contract is being contemplated, Lawrence will be 25/26. There is enough of an age difference to make it worth the value.

If Lawrence comes in and quickly turns into an elite quarterback, then Dak becomes valuable trade bait. If Lawrence busts, we still have Dak.

People will create reasons that this won't be a thing, probably talking about "splitting the locker room" and so forth. But both Troy and Roger had to fight for their spot with genuine competition (or at least the perception of such).

Valuable trade bait.

No such thing in Dallas. Not since Herschel. Jerry sucks at trading players away and all the other teams know it.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
This Dak vs. Trevor Lawrence debate is starting among Cowboys fans. It is being presented as "If you have the chance, do you take Trevor Lawrence with a top 5 pick, or do you stick with Dak Prescott?"

The answer is: you do both.

Lawrence just turned 21. Dak is 27. When Dak is 32 or 33. at the end of whatever contract is being contemplated, Lawrence will be 25/26. There is enough of an age difference to make it worth the value.

If Lawrence comes in and quickly turns into an elite quarterback, then Dak becomes valuable trade bait. If Lawrence busts, we still have Dak.

People will create reasons that this won't be a thing, probably talking about "splitting the locker room" and so forth. But both Troy and Roger had to fight for their spot with genuine competition (or at least the perception of such).
That’s dumb. Draft Lawrence and franchise dak. Then trade him next year.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I do think it’s an either or proposition.

Simply because if you resign Dak. And have the first pick. You can’t use that pick on another QB you gotta trade down, get more picks and build the defense.

If the cowboys do have the #1 overall pick. I would franchise Dak, tag and trade him for whatever picks you can get.

If the cowboys don’t have the #1 pick. I resign Dak and I build the defense with the high draft picks.
This is where I’m at. Justin Fields may tempt me

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
He looks like Dak with more athleticism to me.

I need to watch more but I’m not real impressed with his game transitioning to the pro’s.. He just looks like a solid player to me.. Nothing elite about him.
The only way it’d make sense to let Dak go is if we can get him or Lawrence (highly unlikely).

Daks come a long way from a 4th round pick to now having NFL pundits using his playing style as a positive comp for upcoming top 5 picks like Fields.:laugh:

fweegy

Reaction score
It's absolutely either one or the other. You don't pay Dak 35-40 mil a year and draft Trevor as his successor. You draft Trevor, he plays day one, and spend the Dak money in other areas while you have Trevor on the 5 year rookie contract. Or you pay Dak and draft defense. Pretty simple and that's why Dallas will screw it up.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
First off I don’t even know if the falcons or the giants will have more wins than us the way things are going and Either could take a qb.

Whatever we decide we need to pick a lane. Take a qb like fields and rebuild or spend every pick next year on defense.

Cut whatever bad contracts come off the books (Henderson.... Poe..... Crawford... maybe jaylon) and rebuild this d