Dak vs Wentz

Kaiser

Reaction score
Are you saying they're wrong to try and solidify the backup QB position? So many people call for best player available on draft day, if it happens to be a QB, I'm all for it.

I'm saying the Eagles already regret paying Wentz if they spent a #2 on Hurts.

Section446

Reaction score
I'm saying the Eagles already regret paying Wentz if they spent a #2 on Hurts.
Eh, I don't know that proves the regret it. If rumors are to be believed, he's going to do a lot more than just play QB for them.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Here's a "Re-Draft" of the 2016 draft, from NFL.Com. Several analysts weighed in.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...t-doover-carson-wentz-dak-prescott-snapped-up

Wentz goes #1 overall, ahead of Goff and Prescott. Prescott is the #3 QB off the board.

After everything we now know about these QB's, Wentz is still widely regarded as superior to Dak.

There is a reason for this.

they also took Jared Goff over Dak. Which is idiotic. Jared Goff is absolutely positively not better than Dak.

Nav22

Reaction score
Even BGN (the Eagles’ SB Nation site) ranked Dak as the best QB in the division for 2020.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...020-carson-wentz-dak-prescott-quarterback-nfl

QUARTERBACK - Dak Prescott(Cowboys)
It’s just a take; it can’t hurt you.

Looking back to 2019 before we gaze forward to 2020, the case that Prescott was the better quarterback is straightforward.

Using key metrics from PFF’s QB Annual, the analytics show that Prescott was substantially better than Carson Wentz from a clean pocket, produced more positively graded plays, avoided negative plays, was on target more often, had a better adjusted completion percentage and was more efficient on third down.

The areas where Wentz rated higher, like when under pressure and with big time throws, it’s much tighter. Thus Prescott graded higher as a passer (13th vs. 18th) and had added value as a quality runner. It’s not just PFF either. DVOA, QBR, QB Rating, ANY/A, and so on all favor Prescott.

The all-mighty film also favors Prescott. He was the more consistent of the two, hitting the proverbial ceiling and avoiding the floor more than Wentz.

With all of those factors leaning Prescott the onus would be on me to make the case for Wentz, if I chose to do so, not the other way around. Even Vegas has the odds favoring Prescott to be MVP over Wentz. Still, I’ll try to explain my rationale while providing as much context as possible.

Where it went wrong for Wentz wasn’t the high leverage drops at the end of games. In fact, I thought he played better for the early stretch of the season than many gave him credit for.

Beyond a nasty fumbling habit, the problem for Wentz shines harshest on three big games in the middle of the season. The first tilt against Dallas in Week 7 was a truly abysmal performance that saw the Eagles and Wentz falter early and never get going. That was followed soon after by two consecutive games against the Patriots and Seahawks where he looked mentally shot as the situation around him crumbled.

Wentz should get credit for rebounding and ending the season with 10 touchdowns and 1 interception over the last 5 games to drag his team to the playoffs. I’d argue it was more impressive from a leadership perspective than an execution standpoint. For example, during that stretch he never played a DVOA pass defense ranked higher than 23rd. The Giants and Dolphinscheck in at 31st and 32nd respectively, and they represent three of those five match-ups.

Prescott’s worst game came in a big moment too, but it was a shoulder injury that limited him against the Eagles in Week 16. Like Wentz, Prescott suffered from a plethora of drops, leading the league by a wide margin with 43. His receivers had 5 against the Eagles in that game alone, leaving the banged up Prescott without the support to triumph in the must-win divisional showdown.

Outside of that late failure in Philadelphia, you’re only left with a shaky performance on the road against the Patriots as games where Prescott came up noticeably short by his own doing. Even then, he never hit the lows Wentz achieved multiple times in 2019.

Projecting to 2020, situation is a key factor in quarterback success and these two are no different. The Eagles are on their third cycle of “Weapons For Wentz” and their third cycle of offensive coaches under Doug Pederson. It likely can’t be any worse in terms of supporting cast for Wentz, but there’s a good deal of unknown concerning how it all comes together.

The Cowboys made a key decision in the off-season in retaining offensive coordinator Kellen Moore. It would’ve been a huge blunder letting the young mastermind behind the 2nd ranked DVOA offense walk and the Cowboys ultimately made the right decision. They also locked in Amari Cooper and stole CeeDee Lamb in the 2020 NFL Draft.

In terms of “stability plus” - a term I made up just now - Prescott has the advantage while Wentz will need much better health around him and for new ideas to mesh well with new additions. One spot where the Eagles have the advantage is offensive line, as we’ll delve into later in this piece. That’s no small thing.

If their surrounding circumstances click, both quarterbacks have already shown the potential to play like top 10 quarterbacks or better. This is probably the third time I’ve changed answers on this through the years, but gun to my head, I’d argue that Prescott has the better shot at being a top tier quarterback in 2020.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I'm neither a hater or a homer, but I'll take Dak all day every day, over Wentz. With that said we shouldn't pay him any where close to 30 million REGARDLESS of the market says. He should take 25 million and he can make up the rest in sponsorships from being the QB of America's Team. If he does that we can build a scary that will compete for a SB for the next half decade. I know this is a mute point but I don't think any athlete is worth 20+ million a year. Or any one in the Entertainment Industry for that matter.

GO COWBOYS!

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
they also took Jared Goff over Dak. Which is idiotic. Jared Goff is absolutely positively not better than Dak.

I deeply believe every team in the league would take Wentz over Dak in a re-draft, and most would take Goff over Dak.

You might be surprised how Goff would function given the supporting cast Dak has enjoyed.

One might disagree with their opinions, but the independent professional analysts have a perspective and level of objectivity that is absent in biased team-based fan forums.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I deeply believe every team in the league would take Wentz over Dak in a re-draft, and most would take Goff over Dak.

You might be surprised how Goff would function given the supporting cast Dak has enjoyed.

One might disagree with their opinions, but the independent professional analysts have a perspective and level of objectivity that is absent in biased team-based fan forums.

The same Goff who needs his head coach in his ear to read defense for him? I would pass.

You can argue Wentz. Sure. But I would also like to hear what “independent non biased” analysts you’re talking about. We all have bias.

Wentz has a higher ceiling than Dak. So I’m sure people take him for that fact.

But Wentz has also finished the last 3 seasons in the trainers room and his own team felt the need to draft a QB in the second round this past draft. The second round they drafted a QB. I mean come on.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

This post is about as off as it gets.

Goff has had more weapons than Dak has overall and way better coaching.

EVERY coach would take Dak over both those guys.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
But Wentz has also finished the last 3 seasons in the trainers room and his own team felt the need to draft a QB in the second round this past draft.

His injury history is becoming a big concern. No doubt about it!

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

As if they aren’t from the same draft class, so their careers can’t be compared directly. As if Dak hasn’t beaten the breaks off of Wentz’s career overall.

Just thought I’d compare their full CAREERS, you know... instead of cherry-picking a tiny 5-game sample size?

Enjoy!!!

Seasons ended with an injury:
Wentz: 3
Dak: 0

Playoff wins:
Wentz: 0
Dak 1

Career record:
Wentz: 32-24
Dak: 40-24

Career head-to-head:
Wentz: 3-4
Dak: 4-3

Career comp %:
Wentz: 63.8
Dak: 65.8

Career yds/attempt:
Wentz: 6.9
Dak: 7.6

Career AIR yds/attempt (so much for “dink and Dak”):
Wentz: 7.1
Dak: 7.8

Career yds/completion:
Wentz: 10.8
Dak: 11.6

Career passer rating:
Wentz: 92.7
Dak: 97.0

Playoff pass yards:
Wentz: 3
Dak: 794
:lmao2:

If you’re upset at the money Dak will soon be making and you want someone to blame... look no further than Carson “Charmin-Soft” Wentz.

OF COURSE Dak won’t take less than the soft, injury-prone QB he’s thoroughly outplayed since entering the league.

2020...Wentz playing without all his starting recievers all his top RB's without his starting all pro left tackle, his starting right tackle and an injured Zack Ertz throws 2 TD's and puts 17 points on the board in the biggest game of the season. Dak playing in the same game with all his recievers, TE starting O-Line and Zeke....3 FG's lol, and we lose the game 17-9 as Dak is severly out played. One guy played like the Elite Franchise QB he was drafted to be and the other guy played like the 4th round comp pick he was, that is why one guy has a multi year deal for 32M+ and our guy has no deal and was tagged, it is also why the Eagles made the playoffs last year and we didn't

starcity214

Reaction score
LOLLLLLLL

It speaks volumes that this is the only argument one could POSSIBLY make for Wentz’s career being better than Dak’s.

Jason Garrett has 2 rings, and at least he was healthy and ready to play in those Super Bowls.

THAT PROVES IT!!!!

GARRETT AS QB >>>>>> WENTZ AS QB

DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Division on the line, do or die, who wins?

One team is 100% healthy and the other team is full of practice squad players..

Wich QB wins?

Rest my case.

By the way, you may wanna post the stats of those head to head games that Dak has "won" over Wentz.. they may surprise you.

Time will clearly show how foolish the people comparing Dak to Wentz really were.

Only way Dak has a better career is if Wentz ends up a cripple lol but it could happen so I'll give you that.

I don't understand the Wentz hate.

Dude is a talented player no doubt.

I seen him do things only Mahomes can do.
Watch the film, the dude is extremely talented.
Sucks that he's an eagle, but he's a stud.

Maybe that's why we hate him.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Division on the line, do or die, who wins?

One team is 100% healthy and the other team is full of practice squad players..

Wich QB wins?

Rest my case.

By the way, you may wanna post the stats of those head to head games that Dak has "won" over Wentz.. they may surprise you.

Time will clearly show how foolish the people comparing Dak to Wentz really were.

Only way Dak has a better career is if Wentz ends up a cripple lol but it could happen so I'll give you that.

I don't understand the Wentz hate.

Dude is a talented player no doubt.

I seen him do things only Mahomes can do.
Watch the film, the dude is extremely talented.
Sucks that he's an eagle, but he's a stud.

Maybe that's why we hate him.

Posted pretty much the same thing one post above yours! Couldn't agree more!

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Comparing QB's from different offenses doesn't work. Wentz hasn't had the skill positions Prescott has had, the OL's were about equal and Wentz had a better D but I have these two QB's in the same grouping in that 9-15 group and I only use stats as a measurement when I haven't watched them play.

In the durability part, Prescott is hands down the winner and not only against Wentz but about every QB that's played 4 full seasons. There are QB's that have stayed as healthy but they haven't taken the hits that Prescott has. With Prescott, a team doesn't have to focus on the backup, with Wentz, that's a primary focus because it's not if, it's when.
I completely disagree. Go look before last season started and see where philly was ranked at position groups.