Dak will play for less somewhere else but not in Dallas

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
this thread seems well thought out and necessary.
I was thinking the same thing this morning over tea.
With this kind of reasoning it shows logic of a scale the likes of which we've never known. Doris Day would be proud.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I dunno...hard to say. We did some surprise signings last year. I suppose it irks me when people state an opinion under the guise of emphatic fact. Then they call them "hater" because they don't agree. "They must be hatefully insane to NOT AGREE with me!".

Again...I see no reason for any "message" when you were gonna get released anyway. If your theory is true, they'd "send a message" that if ya don;t pick it up you'll be gone. When you are GONE...what use is any "message"? The pink slip was the message not the signing.

Really hard to say if there is any message at all. I think it's realistic to presume if Dak doesn't sign...Dalton is the "insurance"...not JUST for injury. And...players DO have a resurgence with another team...a fresh start. And this isn't any old team...it's a juggernaut. It's possible the different skill set Dalton does different things with this team. We'll have to plug the center of course. It's my OPINION that if you sign a player even for a penny, he gets his chance to compete....even if it's just showing off in preseason. If *I'M* the coach....I run plays and evaluate players. All summer and preseason. And I start the best player. I have NEVER said Dalton is better so don;t start that.

I want every player to succeed but I want the Cowboys to succeed FIRST and foremost and players will either be there doing it or not. They earn it. Maybe some "competition" (as in just working side by side another NFL starter) will be good for Dak and elevate him even more.
i don't think you or anyone else on here are a hater.
you're a Cowboys fan like me who roots like hell for them to win.
i dont think Rush would've been released til the cut down to final roster.
but signing Dalton was an up-grade and made Rush expendable.
my point....signing Dalton wasn't a "message" that they are moving on from Dak....if anything it was that they are moving on from Rush.
talking heads on tv want this to be about Dak.
i don't think it is.
its about up-grading the roster.
i also believe it was having a better option at QB2 in case Dak gets hurt.
the current pandemic also helped us.
Andy Dalton lives there in the off-season...owns a home there....and now won't have to worry about if or when he can move his family.
if he hadn't signed here....i wonder if he signs with houston.

if he had signed a 3yr deal then yeah....i could see it being a message to or about Dak and his contract.
but a 1yr deal.....seems more about keeping his family under the same roof during a pandemic when we don't know when we can get back to normal.....gives him time to prepare for his next move...and keeps him engaged in the game.
just my opinion.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If he does, he does.

Are people really thinking he is a generational talent?

Sure. It is hard to find a QB. In fact, I wish a deal was done yesterday.

But if he and his representation are holding out for a billion gazillion dollars, meet my friend the franchise tag.

You will be rooming with him for the next two years.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he does, he does.

Are people really thinking he is a generational talent?

Sure. It is hard to find a QB. In fact, I wish a deal was done yesterday.

But if he and his representation are holding out for a billion gazillion dollars, meet my friend the franchise tag.

You will be rooming with him for the next two years.
I've not see one person say "generational talent". Some people might FEEL it's a bit of an upgrade or better fit. Tell ya what...I wish we could merge Dalton's arm with Dak's toughness. I just see the ball coming out quicker and in front of the play. I see him throwing over the top of receivers giving them a better chance at the catch and yards after. Consistently? Not sure.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Dak will never take a lowball offer from America’s team that comes with media headache, especially with big guns like ESPN coming after you 24/7.

Dak also wants to prove a point that his mental fortitude is better than Jerry and he will always one up him. Dak will make Jerry pay regardless either in the pocket books or DYIING WITHOUT WINNING ANOTHER SUPER BOWL.

So glad we got this inside scoop from a person from Dak’s camp.

Did he share this information with you yesterday when he came over to your place for beers?

When you see him later today, please tell him I said “Hi”

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
So glad we got this inside scoop from a person from Dak’s camp.

Did he share this information with you yesterday when he came over to your place for beers?

When you see him later today, please tell him I said “Hi”

He said Jerry better have his money and don’t forget to buy some of those Jaylon Smith shades.

NotForLong

Reaction score
It's hard seeing the Dak_Attack troll breaking down like this.... he's the face of Dak slobberers everywhere and he's melting down like a snowcone in the summer. Just think how bad it must be for the rank and file slobberers...

C'mon Dak_Attack, say it ain't so! No more negative videos.... your supporters need one of your out of context Dak highlight videos more than ever!
:omg::muttley::lmao:

NotForLong

Reaction score
It isn't. It's NOTHING more than a 1 year insurance policy against a injury to Prescott. If it was like some here think that it was a negotiation ploy, the Cowboys would have signed him for a heck of a lot more money to make it believable than the little 3 mil for this season. Common sense does escape some.
Your whole premise is Dalton will not be the Starter at 3 million. But if he would have been signed for more money it would prove that he will become the starter.

:huh:

He's on the team, why can't he become the starter at 3 million

NotForLong

Reaction score
I always make sure to open threads started by this poster...

It’s kind of like slowing down to see how bad the car accident in the other lane was.

You know it might be really bad, but you just got to look
:grin:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Your whole premise is Dalton will not be the Starter at 3 million. But if he would have been signed for more money it would prove that he will become the starter.

:huh:

He's on the team, why can't he become the starter at 3 million

First I seriously doubt that Jerry or Stephen told Dalton he could be the starter as some like The Herd said because if they did and providing his agent has gotten out of high school, he would have gotten a heck of a lot more money than the measly 3 mil he got for Dalton. And yes, that 3 mil is enough for Dalton to realize that he was signed as the backup QB and there's no real chance for any real competition for the starting QB job. Your logic would then mean that Joe Jackson has a real shot at Lawrence's job since the size of the contract doesn't matter.

NotForLong

Reaction score
First I seriously doubt that Jerry or Stephen told Dalton he could be the starter as some like The Herd said because if they did and providing his agent has gotten out of high school, he would have gotten a heck of a lot more money than the measly 3 mil he got for Dalton. And yes, that 3 mil is enough for Dalton to realize that he was signed as the backup QB and there's no real chance for any real competition for the starting QB job. Your logic would then mean that Joe Jackson has a real shot at Lawrence's job since the size of the contract doesn't matter.
My logic is this. . . Andy is on the team. If and when he becomes a starter, the 3 million dollar salary will no longer be a factor.

The contract was win win. 3 million to come home to hold a clip board. If Dak plays hard ball . . . Then he comes in and starts. If Andy plays well ( Anyone will play well with this talent) and Andy doesnt relinquish the job then he will receive up to 7 million.

If he does capture the starting job then he would be in line for a big payday with the Cowbloys.

A story book ending for the hometown boy

HellCrowe

Reaction score
It’s the other way around, Dak is the one you don’t mess with when you are tying to win a SB before croaking.

I’ll take Dak and willing to put money on it.If he does end up leaving Dallas he will win a SB before Jerry.

p.s. Jerry does know oil is plummeting :muttley::muttley::muttley:

Are you going with him?

HellCrowe

Reaction score
OP broke.

dalton1.jpg

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
My logic is this. . . Andy is on the team. If and when he becomes a starter, the 3 million dollar salary will no longer be a factor.

The contract was win win. 3 million to come home to hold a clip board. If Dak plays hard ball . . . Then he comes in and starts. If Andy plays well ( Anyone will play well with this talent) and Andy doesnt relinquish the job then he will receive up to 7 million.

If he does capture the starting job then he would be in line for a big payday with the Cowbloys.

A story book ending for the hometown boy

Your last line sums it up. You're trying to write a fairy tale. Prescott knows that if he doesn't sign either the tag offer or a ling term deal and sits out that several things will happen and none of them good. First he will be fined for every day he sits out from any mandatory function and according to this new CBA fines can not be forgiven like they were in the past. When he does sign a contract where ever that is, the fines will be taken out. Next while sitting out there will be no salary coming in so he will not have a salary and it will cost him money on the fines. Third if he sits out, Prescott's endorsements money will stop. Those endorsements will dry up and those companies will move on to someone else just like they did with Bell when he sat out.

So it just comes down to Dalton being a 1 year insurance policy against a possible INJURY to Prescott. Dalton will have no real chance at the starting QB job and the playing time bonus money will never be collected, just the measly 3 mil for being a backup QB.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Your last line sums it up. You're trying to write a fairy tale. Prescott knows that if he doesn't sign either the tag offer or a ling term deal and sits out that several things will happen and none of them good. First he will be fined for every day he sits out from any mandatory function and according to this new CBA fines can not be forgiven like they were in the past. When he does sign a contract where ever that is, the fines will be taken out. Next while sitting out there will be no salary coming in so he will not have a salary and it will cost him money on the fines. Third if he sits out, Prescott's endorsements money will stop. Those endorsements will dry up and those companies will move on to someone else just like they did with Bell when he sat out.

So it just comes down to Dalton being a 1 year insurance policy against a possible INJURY to Prescott. Dalton will have no real chance at the starting QB job and the playing time bonus money will never be collected, just the measly 3 mil for being a backup QB.
You made some great points and have convinced me that Dak will sign the Franchise tag.

But I will say this: Mike has been studying NFL talent for the last year. He knows who Dak is & He knows who Andy is. There will be an open competition for tge starting Job.

May the best man win