Dak Without Dez

Undefeated

Reaction score
Some videos posted by ****NOT-AN-OFFICIAL-SOURCE***, I believe it is every pass attempt from Dak in 3 games without Dez.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Unfortunately using these three games as some sort of barometer of how well this offense can perform on a consistent basis without Dez is severely flawed for obvious reasons, so I simply cannot understand the attempt to do so.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the success in those games had to do more with the fact that they averaged 188 yards rushing in those games against three rotten defenses. NFL teams have typically won those games 85% of the time, regardless of what their QB was or wasn’t doing.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dak must be SO HAPPY Dez is gone that he is probably whistling zippity do da out of his *******. He doesn't have to listen to I'm open on every play or in every huddle. He doesn't have to worry about "getting Dez going" or getting Dez involved. He doesn't have to worry about Dez causing INTs or dropping balls anymore. Dak must be so excited!!!!

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the success in those games had to do more with the fact that they averaged 188 yards rushing in those games against three rotten defenses. NFL teams have typically won those games 85% of the time, regardless of what their QB was or wasn’t doing.
Here are the averages for each game, broken down by half.

1st half
18 passes, 149 yards (5 td 0 int)
15 runs 92 yards

2nd half yards
10 passes, 91 yards
18 runs, 96 yards

Not that it proves anything about "Dak Without Dez," but QB performance has a lot to do with the correlation between high rushing yardage totals and wins.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately using these three games as some sort of barometer of how well this offense can perform on a consistent basis without Dez is severely flawed for obvious reasons, so I simply cannot understand the attempt to do so.

Why?

blindzebra

Reaction score
Here are the averages for each game, broken down by half.

1st half
18 passes, 149 yards (5 td 0 int)
15 runs 92 yards

2nd half yards
10 passes, 91 yards
18 runs, 96 yards

Not that it proves anything about "Dak Without Dez," but QB performance has a lot to do with the correlation between high rushing yardage totals and wins.
The 90's formula, points in the passing game, punish them late with the run.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty well stated by two posters above but,
GB 2nd worst pass D in the league
SF worst run D in the League
CIN 11th pass, 21st run D

Obviously passing is going to be a lot easier as horrible run defenses are going to have to over commit to the run against top rushing teams.

I don’t know what basis you’re using for ranking these defenses, but it doesn’t follow that passing is automatically easy against a team with a bad run defense.

Regardless, we know the offense played well without Dez against these three teams in 2016. Did they dramatically underperform what you expected of them given how we played better defenses with Dez in the lineup that season? Did we play any similar defenses the rest of the way with Dez available that made it pretty obvious what a liability it was to have him out the three weeks in question? It seemed to me these three games were pretty much par for the course that year.