Video: Dak's deep ball accuracy compared to elite QB's

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
I came across this video and wanted to share. Its a 13 minute video but the first 7:30 of it tell the point the guy is trying to make. Not sure if he got his info from PFF or not. He compares Dak's deep ball percentage to a handful of others to debunk the myth that Dak is not accurate with the deep ball. I was a little surprised by what he found although I'm sure some will poke holes in his findings......The results of what he found. This is completion percentage on deep passes.

Dak..37/82=45%

WIlson...54/104=51%

Goff...64/124=49%

Brady...48/105=45%

Wentz...25/61=40%

Mahomes...60/128=46%

Rodgers...53/129=43%

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think the lack of actual quality deep ball receivers was more of a reason for the lower deep
Ball attempts.

I mean seriously, until Amari Cooper who was dak’s best deep ball receiver? Brice Butler?

That was never Dez’ forte. Terrance Williams was just an ok player. Gallup was a rookie last year.

You need good deep ball receivers if you want to
Throw a lot of deep balls.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
And those numbers are with Dak having Cooper only half the season, and Gallup still learning the system, which makes it even more impressive.

Cowboys should get Dak’s deal done before he has another big year.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I love Dak but it seems we constantly have deep ball lists and this Reality is the offense is dependent on what is called and what we can get out if it

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I think the lack of actual quality deep ball receivers was more of a reason for the lower deep
Ball attempts.

I mean seriously, until Amari Cooper who was dak’s best deep ball receiver? Brice Butler?

That was never Dez’ forte. Terrance Williams was just an ok player. Gallup was a rookie last year.

You need good deep ball receivers if you want to
Throw a lot of deep balls.

I agree with the point you are making but Dez was definitely a deep threat. The thing is, you had to be very good to take advantage of it. It really was like Romo said, "he's not covered when he's covered". Not realistic to expect that from a very green QB, as Dak was when Dez was here.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I came across this video and wanted to share. Its a 13 minute video but the first 7:30 of it tell the point the guy is trying to make. Not sure if he got his info from PFF or not. He compares Dak's deep ball percentage to a handful of others to debunk the myth that Dak is not accurate with the deep ball. I was a little surprised by what he found although I'm sure some will poke holes in his findings......The results of what he found. This is completion percentage on deep passes.

Dak..37/82=45%

WIlson...54/104=51%

Goff...64/124=49%

Brady...48/105=45%

Wentz...25/61=40%

Mahomes...60/128=46%

Rodgers...53/129=43%

So he is elite ? The problem could very well be the coaching ?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
What makes you think it’s the coaches who don’t want him throwing deep?
Dak is/was a young QB, so the coaches were either trying to protect him or didnt trust him. Because when I watch the games I see a lot of china routes, dogs, comebacks, and curls. Rarely are there any deep crossing routes, post routes or fly routes. So the shots down field are not always called. They went deep more often last year then any other year with Dak. But we still need that number to increase to at least 6 ot 7 a game. And I'm talking about 25 yards beyond the line of scrimmage 6 or 7 times a game.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is/was a young QB, so the coaches were either trying to protect him or didnt trust him. Because when I watch the games I see a lot of china routes, dogs, comebacks, and curls. Rarely are there any deep crossing routes, post routes or fly routes. So the shots down field are not always called. They went deep more often last year then any other year with Dak. But we still need that number to increase to at least 6 ot 7 a game. And I'm talking about 25 yards beyond the line of scrimmage 6 or 7 times a game.

Not sure if your guesses about the number and types of routes is accurate or not, relative to the rest of the league. I do know we run more than most teams and that Dak’s generally careful with the ball by nature—both of which affect the likelihood we’re going to be a league leader when it comes to throwing deep.

But we brought in a WR coach who likes the deep ball and pretty clearly set out to add speed to the position group to stretch the field finally after years of not doing that with Romo. I’d say there’s a fair argument to be made that it’s a staff decision to push the ball downfield more, finally.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Not sure if your guesses about the number and types of routes is accurate or not, relative to the rest of the league. I do know we run more than most teams and that Dak’s generally careful with the ball by nature—both of which affect the likelihood we’re going to be a league leader when it comes to throwing deep.

But we brought in a WR coach who likes the deep ball and pretty clearly set out to add speed to the position group to stretch the field finally after years of not doing that with Romo. I’d say there’s a fair argument to be made that it’s a staff decision to push the ball downfield more, finally.
A mindset passed down to the players from the coaches. This is Dak's year to silence the whispers.

Number1

Reaction score
We want more of the deep ball throws. That has never been Daks problem. Garrett or Linehan not letting him cut it loose has been the problem. Not Dak.

it *seems* a simple solution throw deep another 3x a game, which means they have to call about 5 more a game,
or more likely just build in a deep outlet on most pass plays - it don't take genius to get this O scoring more

but there are also *serious* OL issues to be dealt with or Dak would have likely taken anther 20 shots deep in 2018

BTW, if the OL is fixed (mostly healed), Dak has the athleticism and the speed outside to not only connect deep more often,
but to go over the top - this team is serious about playing 9 ball

do not be surprised if Dak completes 50/+% of deep pass in 2019 and maintain a low INT%