Daks next contract length

slick325

Reaction score
He and his agent would likely want a shorter deal so they can have another bite at the apple. Look for a three year extension with no franchise tag and no trade clauses. By 2026 he will be in line for an extension again. Or he will play out his last year and be able to hit free agency while still young enough to make more money in a free market.

Dallas will add voidable years to spread the signing bonus cap hit.

The guy is going to be very wealthy when his playing days are done.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even Jerry has finally caught on. I don't think any type of pay raise is coming soon LO. L

Sandyf

Reaction score
Considering that the leverage is all in Dak's court, probably 5 years.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm more concerned about the salary cap hit the next couple of years. Honestly I hope he gets a 10 year deal and throw the big money so far out he won't ever get it. By then the salary cap will be so high it won't be near the hit.

John813

Reaction score
Stephen will cave after months of "negotiating" and give out a 3 year 60 mil aav contract fully guaranteed.

jk

HanD

Reaction score
He and his agent would likely want a shorter deal so they can have another bite at the apple. Look for a three year extension with no franchise tag and no trade clauses. By 2026 he will be in line for an extension again. Or he will play out his last year and be able to hit free agency while still young enough to make more money in a free market.

Dallas will add voidable years to spread the signing bonus cap hit.

The guy is going to be very wealthy when his playing days are done.
i think they want to go longer for more security and stability. this is already his second bite so i don't think he does what he did last time.

i could be wrong, he bet on himself last time and won. but even reg season stats without playoff wins would hurt him for a contract in 3 years.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Dak holds all of the cards. Every option available to Dallas has big concerns or issues:

Option 1 - let him play his contract out as is - This would be difficult to do with Dallas being almost $20 million over the cap and Dak counting for almost $60 million of cap space. Also, leaves Dallas exposed next year because Dak would be free to sign with anyone in 2025 and Dallas could not stop it because they allowed him to have a NO Franchise/NO Transition Tag clause inserted into his last contract. Under this option they better have another QB as an option in 2025.

Option 2 - Accelerate his 2024 base salary salary into a bonus to lower his cap hit for 2024. I guess this would give us around $20 million or more in cap relief. Leaves Dallas exposed next year because Dak would be free to sign with anyone in 2025 and Dallas could not stop it because they allowed him to have a NO Franchise/NO Transition Tag clause inserted into his last contract. Under this option they better have another QB as an option in 2025 and better be prepared for the dead cap hit..

Option 3 - Trade Dak this year - Not sure if they could find a trade partner and if they did would Dak be willing to go to the team they are trying to trade him to. not sure about the salary ramifications on this. Also, what do we do for a QB in 2024 and please don't answer Rush or Lance.

Option 4 - Extend Dak - if Dak isn't the one then we just keep wasting years and spinning our wheels. Plus we know Dak's agent will get the better of Stephen and Jerry.

Option 5 - Cut Dak - this is not really an option due to the cap hit and the fact that we don't have a viable starting QB on the roster.

IMO, the only options that are probably on the table for the Jones' boys are options 2 and 4.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
i think they want to go longer for more security and stability. this is already his second bite so i don't think he does what he did last time.

i could be wrong, he bet on himself last time and won. but even reg season stats without playoff wins would hurt him for a contract in 3 years.
The number that matters most to players is the amount guaranteed. The money the player gets no matter what. Dak’s will be in the $180 to $200 million range.

Bagman

Reaction score
Yeah, people need to pay attention to what the players and front office say/do. Last offseason the Cowboys wanted extensions with Diggs, CeeDee, and Dak. The only extension that was completed was the one with Diggs. Dak and CeeDee both bet on themselves. Neither will take a discount. I don’t think the Cowboys want to pay Dak over 50 million a season. I don’t think France will take less than 55 million. I think it will be hard to get this extension done in the offseason.
I just find it unbelievable that Dak and France will sit across a table from the Jones' and ask for a substantial raise. Yes, his regular season #'s were great but he's paid to get this team to the SB. He hasn't. Funny thing is, there's 50 QBs that can get blown out of a WC game for 1/10th of what Dak makes. And yet, Jerry and Stephen will act like we can't live without Dak.

HanD

Reaction score
The number that matters most to players is the amount guaranteed. The money the player gets no matter what. Dak’s will be in the $180 to $200 million range.
i don't disagree. that number though would have some correlation to number of years. if you are taking a short deal the amount will be less than the long term deal i would think. maybe i'm wrong but i always imagine it as a percentage of the total contract to some extent.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just find it unbelievable that Dak and France will sit across a table from the Jones' and ask for a substantial raise.
They likely won't ask. They will just straight up tell Jerry. We want Dak to be the highest paid QB in the league.