Dak's next contract?

Verdict

Reaction score
Garoppolo just signed the largest contract in the history of the NFL. How exactly does that happen? I get that he has potential but damn.

What sort of contract will Dak sign if he has a pretty good year this year, say comparable to his rookie year?

Correct me if i am wrong but Dak signed a 4 year deal as a 4th round pick, right? He would be a restricted free agent in year 5?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garoppolo just signed the largest contract in the history of the NFL. How exactly does that happen? I get that he has potential but damn.

What sort of contract will Dak sign if he has a pretty good year this year, say comparable to his rookie year?

Correct me if i am wrong but Dak signed a 4 year deal as a 4th round pick, right? He would be a restricted free agent in year 5?
Part of that Garoppolo deal was the cap space the Niners have. The Browns were able to pull off that Osweiler deal because of the cap space and the requirement to spend the minimum.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Supply and demand. He was fantastic down the stretch for San Fran.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
He won’t get a second contract

The likelihood of this being correct is near zero. He has shown flashes that all but guarantee him a second contract in the league even if he blows the next couple years.

Even if he's no more than an Alex Smith, he'll not only get a second contract, but he'll be paid well, even if it isn't here.

cowboyec

Reaction score
we better hope Dak plays well....other wise we get set back lookin for another QB.
I think if he improves...he'll get a new deal when his rookie deal is up.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Part of that Garoppolo deal was the cap space the Niners have. The Browns were able to pull off that Osweiler deal because of the cap space and the requirement to spend the minimum.
That is reality but his agent won't hear that answer

I thought the best chance to get a good deal was to sign him after this year to an extension

It gets him his big money a year early so he may give one team friendly deal

A 4/60m extension that is really a 3 year deal with 100% guaranteed would be a possible solution

SlammedZero

Reaction score
These contracts amaze me. I understand Garoppolo looked great at the end of the season, but, the reality is he hasn't done anything significant in the NFL. When does the inflation stop? What will it look like in 25 years? 5 year 500 million dollar contracts? It's crazy to me.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Eventually QB contracts are going to end up like the MLB right now.

But until then, you're paying the piper.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
These contracts amaze me. I understand Garoppolo looked great at the end of the season, but, the reality is he hasn't done anything significant in the NFL. When does the inflation stop? What will it look like in 25 years? 5 year 500 million dollar contracts? It's crazy to me.
If he is really bad they can get out after one year.... it will cost 50m after one year or 61m after 2 years

They have 113m in cap space and have to spend to the 89% cash floor for 2017-2020

rags747

Reaction score
The likelihood of this being correct is near zero. He has shown flashes that all but guarantee him a second contract in the league even if he blows the next couple years.

Even if he's no more than an Alex Smith, he'll not only get a second contract, but he'll be paid well, even if it isn't here.
If he's Alex Smith he will get a huge contract, right now he is nowhere close to AS.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
If he's Alex Smith he will get a huge contract, right now he is nowhere close to AS.

The poster claimed he would not get a second contract. I see no way in which he doesn't get a second contract from someone. He has played 1.5 great seasons in the NFL. Even 2.5 bad ones would not be enough for a team to not take a chance on him when there are only 10-15 guys MAX in the world that can play NFL QB at a high level.

DFWJC

Reaction score
At least the early 1st round rookie deals havent looked that way for awhile.

Those guys were getting monster dollars without ever having thrown one NFL pass.