Dak's QB rating per player

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Looking at our WR's per play stats at Pro Football Reference, I found some interesting stuff.

Cooper 138.7
Smith 137.5 (We had him inactive this Sunday)
Austin 108.3
Gallup 99.9
Wilson 89 5/7 46 yards
Cobb 56.3 (4 INTs. Ouch!)

Witten 126.9
Jarwin 120.8
Schultz 56.3 (1/2 6 yards)

Zeke 71.4
Pollard 95.8 (4/4 28 yards)

Olawale? Remember him?
0 rushes, 1 target. That 1 target would have been huge if Dak had had time enough to get it out there.
Averaging 12% of offensive snaps, maybe 16% the first 3 games, 8% the last 3.
Cap hit this year - 2.9mil cash this year.
Does play 63% of ST snaps.

Last edited:

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
They threw that one deep shot to Olawale in Week 1......aaaaand poof he's gone. Nothing against the player but if you're not going to play to his strengths, get a real FB in here.

Smith's #s are a bit deceiving as he had that one long TD but not much else.

The tougher throws/reads are going to Cobb inside and these two have been off for a # of reasons. Chemistry being a big problem.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Surprised Jarwin is rated this high. He hasn't been great at catching passes.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Looking at our WR's per play stats at Pro Football Reference, I found some interesting stuff.

Cooper 138.7
Austin 108.3
Gallup 99.9
Wilson 89 5/7 46 yards

Witten 126.9
Jarwin 120.8

Zeke 71.4

Olawale? Remember him?
0 rushes, 1 target. That 1 target would have been huge if Dak had had time enough to get it out there.
Dak's passer ratings passing to Cooper and Gallup would be higher if those receivers didn't drop so many passes.

Cobb and Dak having a hard time connecting has been a disappointment.

Wilson's rating # would be higher if the Cowboys used him more. Same goes for Pollard.

HungryLion

Reaction score
These numbers make sense as they tend to follow the talent level of the receiver themselves.

The Devin Smith numbers are inflated due to small
Sample size and that one big play.

The Cobb numbers hurt. We need the connection with that slot receiver to be better than that.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am still wondering why Devon Smith has been inactive the last few games. The Jets are his old team. Wouldn't you activate him just because he might play harder against his old team? And with Cooper injured going into the game why only activate 4 WRs? When Cooper went down, the Cowboys had only 3 WRs active for the game. I am not suggesting Smith is great, but he's a better WR than not having a 4th WR.

Smith has played in 3 games this season catching 5 passes for 113 yards and 1 TD. He has 9 targets. He is averaging 22 yards per catch. Of his 5 catch, 2 went for more than 30 yards. He is a legitimate deep threat. Against the Packers Garrett said he wasn't active because he doesn't play special teams. Sounds like a brilliant strategy to hurt your offense that is on the field for about 30 minutes to help your special teams that's on the field for about 30 seconds. Of course special teams are important but they couldn't get someone else to fill in for an injured special teams player for 1 game?

The Eagles are not a good coverage team and they get burned by speedy receivers. In the event that the Cowboys actually block this week, wouldn't it be helpful if Dak had a deep threat in the game to burn the Eagles DBs who have been getting burned all year by speedy WRs?

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I am still wondering why Devon Smith has been inactive the last few games.

The only reasoning I could possibly think of behind this is that they are purposely trying to lose/tank. You're on a 3 game losing streak. Already down a WR in Cobb, an injured Coop, and a player fresh from an injury in Gallup. You're gonna wanna activate as many WR's as possible. Devin Smith obviously isn't Amari or Gallup, but he's a good deep threat and he's pretty speedy. He's not on the injury report and I'm sure we would hear of an illness or about something else that happened to him if he's inactive, but we've heard nothing. This team is purposefully putting itself down to the pasture and no one can convince me otherwise because any team that wants to win or that has sense would put Smith in. Either that or this team is even more unbelievably stupid than I previously thought, which is already a low bar to begin with.

John813

Reaction score
Smith has been inactive for two games.

Outside of his game versus the Commanders, he had 5 targets for 2 completions vs Miami and had a target versus the Saints.

Let's pump the brakes on how good he is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Cooper 138.7
Austin 108.3
Gallup 99.9
Wilson 89 5/7 46 yards

Witten 126.9
Jarwin 120.8

Zeke 71.4

Olawale? Remember him?

Forgot about Olawale. He was in the games the first 3 weeks. Not so much the last 3. Could this be an indicator of someone taking back the reigns?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
i've seen lots of dropped passes by cooper as of late , i wonder why he's rated so high .

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It's fascinating that connecting with the slot receiver is a problem again this year with a brand new receiver in the position.

Weird, huh?

HungryLion

Reaction score
It's fascinating that connecting with the slot receiver is a problem again this year with a brand new receiver in the position.

Weird, huh?

Yes. Dak’s connection with Beasley was terrible.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Yes. Dak’s connection with Beasley was terrible.
Yup, even had Beasley chirping to the media and eventually sent packing.

I'm not positive but I think I heard he is having a good season this year.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Beasley wasn’t sent packing. Beasley got a higher contract offer from the Bills than the Cowboys. And he decided to take it.

Him leaving had nothing to do with Dak. That’s just revisionist history.

Beasley has the second most catches of his entire career last year. He had a good season for a slot receiver.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score

Beasley actually spoke highly on Dak a lot. He continues to do so til this day. He just doesn't like the schemes and the coaching. A lot of WR's will throw their (previous) QB's under the bus, but Beasley has yet to do that.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Beasley wasn’t sent packing. Beasley got a higher contract offer from the Bills than the Cowboys. And he decided to take it.

Him leaving had nothing to do with Dak. That’s just revisionist history.

Beasley has the second most catches of his entire career last year. He had a good season for a slot receiver.
Sure,

Bease did not come out and say point blank "we are getting open" to the media last season. In response to a storm of criticism directed at the receiving corp.

Sure, Both Bease and the Cowboy's decided it was in each party's best interest to NOT negotiate a reasonable contract to keep the experienced, proven and familiar with the system receiver with the team. (Side note, Cobb seems to have turned into a pumpkin here too, Just coincidence though, I'm sure)

So yea, Bease caught 74% of his targets and had a pretty good season on paper. The paper doesn't tell you about the missed opportunities though. The third downs that were not converted because... well you know.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Beasley actually spoke highly on Dak a lot. He continues to do so til this day. He just doesn't like the schemes and the coaching. A lot of WR's will throw their (previous) QB's under the bus, but Beasley has yet to do that.
He did it during the season last year.