Dallas’ Two tight end goal line package

Verdict

Reaction score
Did any of you guys notice that over the last several years when we brought in two tight ends at the goal line and ran the ball the tight ends did literally nothing for it. At least when you go three wides it gave Zeke some room to run the ball. It seemed to me that over the past several years that was a huge fail.

starfan1

Reaction score
Did any of you guys notice that over the last several years when we brought in two tight ends at the goal line and ran the ball the tight ends did literally nothing for it. At least when you go three wides it gave Zeke some room to run the ball. It seemed to me that over the past several years that was a huge fail.

we’ve certainly had our red zone issues. Perhaps MM brings more creativity

GenoT

Reaction score
TEs weren’t so much the issue.

More telling was Garrett/Linehan’s propensity to call RPOs on first-and-goal, rather than giving the ball to Zeke.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First, I don't know that it is true that the TE's didn't contribute. It's certain that all of us sitting on our computer today can't reasonably recall every TD run and what kind of job the TEs did blocking for it. It would take a lot of research to either confirm or deny this point.

But even so, the presence of 2 TE's means the defense has to worry about the run going over the OT/TE slot instead of just from the OT inward. And even on the outside runs for TD's, it's pretty likely the TE helped seal off a LB.

Then, there is also the fact that the TE's are a dual threat. They aren't just blockers, but receivers, and have to be defended against as such. If a defense overcommits to stopping the run he can burn them as a receiver. The TE can also be a decoy that a LB has to follow and therefore isn't available to defend against the run

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

Thank goodness Garrett is gone .

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goes back to the recurring theme....poor red zone execution under Garrett.

CWR

Reaction score

Ive never liked the idea of stacking everyone in there and making Zeke fight through them.

Spread them out and let Zeke pick his running lane. We are strong enough up front. Let our oline go to work.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Our short yardage, jumbo, and GL packages have been bad the last few years. And its the TE's that have been the big issue.

Our TE's have been as bad as it gets blocking and it shows. Jarwin is about as bad as it gets blocking. If we are serious about running the football, then you need at least 2 good blocking TE's and a legitimate blocking FB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
TEs weren’t so much the issue.

More telling was Garrett/Linehan’s propensity to call RPOs on first-and-goal, rather than giving the ball to Zeke.

TE were the biggest issue when it comes to blocking. Giving the ball to Zeke and running up the middle was the other problem.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I saw that Aaron Hernandez Netflix doc the other day, and the flashbacks on Hernandez and Gronk playing together. What a wasted opportunity. That would have been more Super Bowls for the Pats. It goes on the same list of "What If?" with Jimmy and Jerry staying together.

Belichick did that because they were both freaks. Everyone tried to copy but no one has found that level of talent since. I know you're referring more to the goal line packages, but I'd rather go with 2 backs old school or three wideouts which are much easier to find.

glimmerman

Reaction score
What angered me was the 1st and goal and throw it 3 straight times. Like each time was going to totally fool the defense. Line up and predictable or not run the ball. You have beasts up front. Use them.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What angered me was the 1st and goal and throw it 3 straight times. Like each time was going to totally fool the defense. Line up and predictable or not run the ball. You have beasts up front. Use them.
This doesn't work in today's NFL. You can't effectively run into a negative front.

J-man

Reaction score
goal line blocking, play calling and flat out poor execution were all major contributes to the teams disappointing season
the te's played a big role in the poor blocking, but so did the o-lineman, losing Callahan to coach them has hurt this o-line far more than people realize or want to admit.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nope.

Play-calling was the #1 issue on first-and-goal.

TE were the biggest issue when it comes to blocking. Was what I had said.

When you cant block the plays, often doesnt matter what you call. Those same plays worked fine in 2016 because we had the proper personnel.

You will also get no argument from me on the horrid Garrett and the play calling.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Put your team in a position to fail. Good idea.
Run it. You have one of the best O-Line and Elliot. Run it. At least once. Don’t have to be between the tackles. Not saying I am right or you are wrong.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Run it. You have one of the best O-Line and Elliot. Run it. At least once. Don’t have to be between the tackles. Not saying I am right or you are wrong.
Where on the field are you talking about? The 1? B/c then sure lol