Dallas could have had Matt Jones RB

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Now you might say who the heck is that ??
He is a RB for Commanders, they drafted in round 3, right after we picked chaz green !
so we could have had this guy over chaz.
#8 Matt Jones, RB -25- 151 -6.0
Randle is # 15
Joseph Randle, RB - 34 -116 - 3.4

I dont think he got many carries week 1, but did good, so he got more in game 2 and had a nice 39
yd td run around the end, and another power td later in redzone. I think he had 122 for the day game 2
against the rams. Morris had around 50 yds.
I saw the game and the kid is fast as well as strong. 6 yd avg is good,
only other back with 20 or more carries with 6 yd avg is
#4 Giovani Bernard, RB 28 186 6.6

So I think the FO might have missed a good one here, and cheap and young.
Also he is a day one starter.
lol not sure when chaz might be playing prime time.

Spectre

Reaction score
The OP makes a good point. No one's perfect. But kid looks like a star already. And Dallas needed a RB. Jones looks/plays like the exact type we could use. Was even there in the 3rd. Scouting definitely flubbed on that one. Worth mentioning.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The OP makes a good point. No one's perfect. But kid looks like a star already. And Dallas needed a RB. Jones looks/plays like the exact type we could use. Was even there in the 3rd. Scouting definitely flubbed on that one. Worth mentioning.

So we flubbed getting CMicheals? As for CGreen, he was their highest rated player on the board at the time. I'll give them the doubt until then.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2 games into the season and his career. What would Bill Parcells say about this....put away the anointing oil....
Randle is a long TD away from increasing his YPC also.

From the highlights I seen. Yes he ran well. And he is fast and I was thinking, dang, Commanders sure pick some decent RBs. Wasn't Morris a 6th round pick?
Should we be in rue mode yet, no.

By mid season, we may say, we are fine, the FO is right, yet again, but not to some fans liking. Or we may say posters are the geniuses on this one, should have picked Jones.....lol....

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
So we flubbed getting CMicheals? As for CGreen, he was their highest rated player on the board at the time. I'll give them the doubt until then.

Getting CMike is the front office's equivalent of saying we should have drafted a RB somewhere in there. But I'm happy because I think CMike will make everyone forget about what could have been in the draft once he is able to get on the field.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The OP is right. I live in Washington DC. Kid is EXACTY what we need. A REAL 1st and 2nd down RB. Randle, Dunbar and McFadden are all the same guy...change of pace 3rd down types. I don't care as much that they did not draft Jones....my concern is that the braintrust of this organization could not see what was OBVIOUS to a lot of us...what Randle, Dunbar and DMAc were!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Dallas had so much opportunity to get themselves a top notch running back in the 3rd to 5th rounds. I think they will regret the day when the passed up on some really good prospects in this draft.

Nation

Reaction score
The third round picks are now through 2 of the 64 games on their rookie contract. It's just a little bit early to be judging hits and misses when it comes to the 2015 draft. The front office clearly thinks the value in the NFL is in OL not running backs so let's see how the thing actually plays out before making any long term judgments.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

I think CGreen is a reach and so did many drafniks at that time. You don't use a 3rd round for an injured non starter tackle while there was a gapping hole in the RB department. I think the FO got too cute and too overconfident with our oline. Hopefully it won't bite us in the rear end. But I have very little confidence that Randle and MacFadden can at least be a force in the run department.

vaturkey

Reaction score
The kids won't have a long career because he takes a beating. Maybe in this new age of the three year running back it doesn't matter. However, I'm not sure he can pass block worth a hoot. My guess is when he comes into the game its against worn down defenses and he's going to tote the rock. PS. Don't get me wrong, I think the kids is good fast and powerful. However he's going to get dinged up a bunch and he most likely at some point going to get his qb killed.

FWIW, the scouting services had him rated as being a 5/6 round talent.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Now you might say who the heck is that ??
He is a RB for Commanders, they drafted in round 3, right after we picked chaz green !
so we could have had this guy over chaz.
#8 Matt Jones, RB -25- 151 -6.0
Randle is # 15
Joseph Randle, RB - 34 -116 - 3.4

I dont think he got many carries week 1, but did good, so he got more in game 2 and had a nice 39
yd td run around the end, and another power td later in redzone. I think he had 122 for the day game 2
against the rams. Morris had around 50 yds.
I saw the game and the kid is fast as well as strong. 6 yd avg is good,
only other back with 20 or more carries with 6 yd avg is
#4 Giovani Bernard, RB 28 186 6.6

So I think the FO might have missed a good one here, and cheap and young.
Also he is a day one starter.
lol not sure when chaz might be playing prime time.

Nice post...

Just to play devils advocate, Matt Jones has a long run of 39 yards. Take away that long run and he has 24 carries for 112 yards which is an average of 4.66 yards per carry.

Give Joseph Randle one 39 yard run and he has 35 carries for 155 yards, which is an average of 4.42 yards per carry.

I'm not knocking Matt Jones at all, I'm just saying this early in the season one big run can skew the numbers greatly and we know Randle has the ability to break one off like that.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Yea and I think Randy Moss over Greg Ellis was the right selection as well

superonyx

Reaction score
Look how quickly we went from power running team that physically imposed its will on every team it faced to 3 YPC average running team that hasn't shown the ability to impose any will on anyone.

You will get the anti running back posters show up soon and blame the OL now. Or not having Callahan, or not having the right situation to run blah blah blah....

The same offensive line that had a running back go over 100 many straight weeks are now getting guys 25-80...
last year team came in worried about how they were going to stop our run. What do they worry about now?

Maybe the RB does matter.
But I was told over and over that anyone could run behind this line.....

superonyx

Reaction score
Nice post...

Just to play devils advocate, Matt Jones has a long run of 39 yards. Take away that long run and he has 24 carries for 112 yards which is an average of 4.66 yards per carry.

Give Joseph Randle one 39 yard run and he has 35 carries for 155 yards, which is an average of 4.42 yards per carry.

I'm not knocking Matt Jones at all, I'm just saying this early in the season one big run can skew the numbers greatly and we know Randle has the ability to break one off like that.

So you need to take away 40 yards from one guy and give the other guy 49 yards to close to even it up...huge reach

Not a strong attempt at devils advocate I have ever seen.
So over 2 game you need to throw the one guy 80 yards and it's still not even....yikes.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
So you need to take away 40 yards from one guy and give the other guy 49 yards to close to even it up....hahahaha.......

This is the worst attempt at devils advocate I have ever seen.
So over 2 game you need to throw the one guy 80 yards and it's still not even....yikes.

Morning sunshine, did someone burn your eggs this morning?

No, I subtracted one run for one RB and gave the other RB one run of the same distance...Showing how early in the season with a low sample rate how one run can change the numbers drastically....lol...Relax, it's just math.

superonyx

Reaction score
Morning sunshine, did someone burn your eggs this morning?

No, I subtracted one run for one RB and gave the other RB one run of the same distance...Showing how early in the season with a low sample rate how one run can change the numbers drastically....lol...Relax, it's just math.

No..one of my children didn't curl up the cereal bag properly so my waffle crisp were slightly stale.

Maybe I came off a little strong. My apologies.
I was told there wouldn't be any math.

But taking 40 yards from one and giving the other 40 yards is effectively giving the lesser back 80 yards.

Spectre

Reaction score

Just stop.
Watch Matt Jones play. The guy's probably going to finish the season as the #1 rookie RB, even over the Gordons and Gurleys, and no one here was really talking about him at all- myself included.
Who is CMichaels?
And, yes, when you have a chance to draft a star in the 3rd round it trumps trading for/signing a bust-thus-far from another team. Would trade all 4 of our RBs, and Terrance Williams, for a RB with Jones' current potential.