Dallas could have had Matt Jones RB

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
In all fairness, I don't think anyone was clamoring for Matt Jones prior to the draft and the skins took him a bit earlier than expected. But I would say I'd take him in a redo...

GiveDezdaBall88

Reaction score
Dalls could have had LEveon Bell instead of GAvin escboar. you can pretty say this every year hind sight is 20/20

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas had so much opportunity to get themselves a top notch running back in the 3rd to 5th rounds. I think they will regret the day when the passed up on some really good prospects in this draft.

You might consider some of the RB's drafted in the 3rd to 5th rounds top notch but clearly the Cowboys didn't. Those good prospects weren't considered anything better than what we already have.

John813

Reaction score
LOL, first thought that entered my mind was the Matt Jones(WR-Jaguars) who was drafted a decade ago.

IIRC there was some hype on Cowboy forums wanting to draft him.

The Skins Matt Jones looked good in week 2, but, TBF I never really heard of him till now.

RunDMC

Reaction score
The OP makes a good point. No one's perfect. But kid looks like a star already. And Dallas needed a RB. Jones looks/plays like the exact type we could use. Was even there in the 3rd. Scouting definitely flubbed on that one. Worth mentioning.

He's a star after two games? :laugh:

Good grief.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just goes to show how off many of the draft analysts canbe on RBs.
Many had him outside the top 12-14 backs.

Have to tip your cap to Washington...when they took him that early, people were shocked.
IF he pans out long term.

NFL Draftscout had Jones as their 14th ranked back.

Last edited:

RunDMC

Reaction score
Just stop.
Watch Matt Jones play. The guy's probably going to finish the season as the #1 rookie RB, even over the Gordons and Gurleys, and no one here was really talking about him at all- myself included.
Who is CMichaels?
And, yes, when you have a chance to draft a star in the 3rd round it trumps trading for/signing a bust-thus-far from another team. Would trade all 4 of our RBs, and Terrance Williams, for a RB with Jones' current potential.

What the hell are you smoking dude? The guy has had two good games and all of a sudden he's already a proven star back? Put the pipe down and/or your beer. You're clearly drunk or high or both. Chaz Green is injured so we really don't know what he can do. Obviously Dallas was thinking ahead to when they have to replace Doug Free. Can't fault them for that. Trading all our backs for a guy who's had two good games would be about as dumb as move as the Cowboys have made since the Roy Williams trade. We'd have Cole Beasley as our #1 wideout and no depth at back.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Just goes to show how off many of the draft analysts canbe on RBs.
Many had him outside the top 12-14 backs.

Have to tip your cap to Washington...when they took him that early, people were shocked.
IF he pans out long term.

NFL Draftscout had Jones as their 14th ranked back.

I was disappointed when I heard the Commanders hired Scot McCloughan as GM, I read some good things about him but he's had some issues with alcohol apparently, I was kind of hoping the Cowboys would use him in some capacity.

I suspect that pick was heavily influenced by him. Hope he sucks from here on out

khiladi

Reaction score
He is running for Callahan, our OL coach the last three years, it's architect and the guy who developed our run-blocking schemes.

Callahan does it wherever he goes.

Murray wasn't even close to our biggest loss in the pre-season.