News: Dallas Cowboys: 3 prospects for the 58th overall pick

conner01

Reaction score
don't need a TE at 58. We need a stud DT...or safety.
I would even look at OT there with Collins coming up soon
But I like what Jarwin is developing into enough to ride with him and Schultz

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Any mock drafts this early by fans are unbelievable unrealistic. At this point last year they had Vita Vea going to us in 2nd round and DJ Moore in the 3rd round

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I’d be shocked if ET isn’t signed. That takes safety off the list. I’d also be shocked if our first pick isn’t a DL or TE

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I have been looking at highlight films on names being tossed about, and have 6 picks that I believe would be a help to the team... Dexter is 1, WE HAVE GOT TO GET A BIG BODY IN THE MIDDLE, yes he has that weed issue, but hey maybe just a dumb move and he isn't a Gregory Irvine issue, then Andy Isabella WR UMASS, Jace Sternberger TE A&M, Trayvon Williams RB A&M, as R Smith is a FA this year and we NEED a Dunbar type scat back to help Zeke... Safety is a need, so what about this kid out of Miami, Jaquan Johnson, then lastly another kicker to compete with mr I can't kick it inside 30 Cole Tracy...just a few I heard rumored on and looked them up...

cnuball21

Reaction score
Might be gone, but I think we’ll be surprised at the DT talent that falls to the 2nd.

Ton of talent in this class.

MaaS

Reaction score
If he's anything like George Kittle (another Hawkeye), I'll take him.

I'm an Iowa fan. Hockenson and Fant are much better than Kittle was at Iowa. Doesn't mean they'll be better pros though. Kittle has really shocked everyone with his success in the NFL.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Dre'Mont Jones might fall to 58 in this class

Also on the Hockenson train. I wouldn't be surprised if he's picked before a lot of other guys though

exciter

Reaction score
All three of these guys are listed in Kipers latest mock draft (today) as going in the First round.
Hell the TE is slated at #19 overall and he thinks he slides to #58?
Might as well list Nick Bosa.
He has Hockenson and Irv Smith both going before Noah Fant which ain't likely. With the position fairly deep there is a good chance of him falling through the 1st 10 picks of the 2nd, if he does expect them to package one of the 4ths and a pick next year to move up for him!

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: 3 prospects for the 58th overall pick
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/01/17/dallas-cowboys-3-prospects-58th-overall-pick/

Dexter Lawrence/Defensive Tackle/Clemson
The defensive line for the Cowboys was the brightest of spots throughout the 2018 campaign. When the Hot Boyz failed to show up in the playoff game against the Rams, the Cowboys Super Bowl hopes faded quickly.

With defensive tackles Antwaun Woods and Maliek Collins both having breakout years in the middle, the Boys need more depth to make the Hot Boyz more potent than ever before.

Lawrence totaled 131 tackles in his three years at Clemson, 18 tackles being for a loss. At 6-foot-4, 340 pounds, he will give the Cowboys defensive line the natural run stuffer they need...
D. Law(rence) lining to to D. (rence) is intriguing.

Would make offensive audibles a bit challenging. Could see some slip-ups on offensive line coverage, literally due to the name factor.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
D. Law(rence) lining to to D. (rence) is intriguing.

Would make offensive audibles a bit challenging. Could see some slip-ups on offensive line coverage, literally due to the name factor.
I call this list a wish list.

I don't think any of these 3 make it to us at #58.

Would be happiest with Lawrence, very happy with Thompson, and happy with Hockenson.

DT I consider our top need, followed by safety; TE is a distant third if we bring back Swaim. Swaim / Jarwin / Schultz is a good line-up.

garyv

Reaction score
All three of these guys are listed in Kipers latest mock draft (today) as going in the First round.
Hell the TE is slated at #19 overall and he thinks he slides to #58?
Might as well list Nick Bosa.

That's why I read these articles to hate them. They have guys rated as 3rd Round picks that end up going in the 1st Round.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I see us developing TE we have. Maybe a later round TE.
We will all be curious to see how Dallas addresses the TE this off-season.

Will they sign a free agent who can help immediately? Or will they instead look to the draft to add another young body to the current group who might not be ready for a large role in year one?

BTB has a piece up with some Stephen Jones quotes from earlier this week noting upgrading TE will be a priority:

“So, yeah, I think tight end is very important in terms of one of our top needs, what we’ll be looking at in the draft, and looking for ways to make that a stronger spot. Certainly [Cole] Beasely is a chain-mover, forever Jason Witten was a chain-mover. Certainly, Blake made some strides this year, but I think it’s obvious right now we don’t have that ‘Jason Witten, Jay Novacek, No. 1’ tight end.”

“Yes, I mean, I think we’ve got some good, young players. I think Blake Jarwin, in particular, probably has the most upside, but is he ready right this second? Probably not.”

The story makes note that Stephen failed to mention soon to be UFA Geoff Swaim while discussing TEs, is he not in their plans or was it a simple oversight?

I believe Swaim will sign elsewhere as a free agent.

Dalton Schultz should become a better all purpose TE next season and Blake Jarwin is a receiving threat with questions regarding his ability as a blocker.

Then comes the Baylor Enigma, Rico Gathers. He needs to make serious strides in the off-season/training camp/pre-season in order to again wear the star. Signing a free agent or a prominent draft pick will put Rico on the outside looking in, where he would need to show enough to entice the team to go long at the position.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will all be curious to see how Dallas addresses the TE this off-season.

Will they sign a free agent who can help immediately? Or will they instead look to the draft to add another young body to the current group who might not be ready for a large role in year one?

BTB has a piece up with some Stephen Jones quotes from earlier this week noting upgrading TE will be a priority:

The story makes note that Stephen failed to mention soon to be UFA Geoff Swaim while discussing TEs, is he not in their plans or was it a simple oversight?

I believe Swaim will sign elsewhere as a free agent.

Dalton Schultz should become a better all purpose TE next season and Blake Jarwin is a receiving threat with questions regarding his ability as a blocker.

Then comes the Baylor Enigma, Rico Gathers. He needs to make serious strides in the off-season/training camp/pre-season in order to again wear the star. Signing a free agent or a prominent draft pick will put Rico on the outside looking in, where he would need to show enough to entice the team to go long at the position.
Seemed Rico never even got a chance, I am sure there is a reason but if your not a RB then JG don’t use players immediately if he don’t have to. Although he has been here a few years. He sure looks good in preseason.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Seemed Rico never even got a chance, I am sure there is a reason but if your not a RB then JG don’t use players immediately if he don’t have to. Although he has been here a few years. He sure looks good in preseason.
Rico finally made the 53, but then didn't see many snaps.

Where does the blame lie?

It seems the team has transitioned to wanting to play younger players as quickly as possible, gone are the days of playing little more than special teams as rookies. And it's not like the TE position was manned by a group of salty vets. Geoff Swaim was the 'old man' this season and he only played sparingly the years prior due to the shadow of Witten and various injuries. Blake Jarwin was in year two after splitting time between the practice squad and active roster as a rookie. Dalton Schultz was a well thought of rookie added with a supplemental fourth round selection.

And Rico was in his third season with the Cowboys, the second longest tenure after Swaim.

But he couldn't wrest snaps from Jarwin and Schultz, even with Swaim missing the last half of the campaign due to injury.

Was he not consistent enough? Were the other guys simply better? Did Scott Linehan, TE coach Doug Nussmeier and/or Dak Prescott not believe in Rico and stand in the way?

There's no telling if it was primarily one thing or some combination of multiple factors.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Rico finally made the 53, but then didn't see many snaps.

Where does the blame lie?

It seems the team has transitioned to wanting to play younger players as quickly as possible, gone are the days of playing little more than special teams as rookies. And it's not like the TE position was manned by a group of salty vets. Geoff Swaim was the 'old man' this season and he only played sparingly the years prior due to the shadow of Witten and various injuries. Blake Jarwin was in year two after splitting time between the practice squad and active roster as a rookie. Dalton Schultz was a well thought of rookie added with a supplemental fourth round selection.

And Rico was in his third season with the Cowboys, the second longest tenure after Swaim.

But he couldn't wrest snaps from Jarwin and Schultz, even with Swaim missing the last half of the campaign due to injury.

Was he not consistent enough? Were the other guys simply better? Did Scott Linehan, TE coach Doug Nussmeier and/or Dak Prescott not believe in Rico and stand in the way?

There's no telling if it was primarily one thing or some combination of multiple factors.
They said he didn’t block well. Then his blocking was good if he knew his assignment. Heck I saw Jarwin blow a assignment in the goal line that cost us a TD and we lost the game. Rico did well during preseason. I expected him to be a red zone option. I doubt we keep him now. Wasted time unless he has one heck of a TC.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I doubt we keep him now. Wasted time unless he has one heck of a TC.
Agreed.

Rico Gathers projects as training camp depth at this point in case a player above him suffers an injury.

If the light comes on and stays on, Rico can push to make the 53 again. Otherwise, he will be released or possibly flipped for a future conditional draft choice at final cuts in September.