Dallas Cowboys and SPARQ

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
http://www.footbology.com/dallas-cowboys-and-sparq/

Byron Jones is one of a small handful of NFL players to be labeled as a “3-Sigma Athlete”. Basically, all that means is that athletically, Byron Jones is three standard deviations away from the mean, otherwise known as being in at least the 99.87th percentile on all athletes. In Jones’ case, he’s actually in the 99.9 percentile at one of the most athletic positions in the NFL.

Currently, there are only five “3 Sigma Athlete” in the NFL with potentially leaving this off-season. Here is the list, courtesy of Zach Whitman of 3sigmaathlete.com:

3sigclub.png

Read the rest here: http://www.footbology.com/dallas-cowboys-and-sparq/

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
Christine Michael was a pretty impressive SPARQ athlete too.

I actually forgot about him. But, he's just another example of a SPARQ athlete that Dallas acquired. Obviously it didn't work here, but that's not to say he's an awful player. He actually had success when he went back to Seattle.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually forgot about him. But, he's just another example of a SPARQ athlete that Dallas acquired. Obviously it didn't work here, but that's not to say he's an awful player. He actually had success when he went back to Seattle.

No, but it does call into question how valuable SPARQ measurables are or aren't. While I do agree with you that the Cowboys look to be using them more, I question how valuable they are in determining what a good player is.

LittleD

Reaction score
No, but it does call into question how valuable SPARQ measurables are or aren't. While I do agree with you that the Cowboys look to be using them more, I question how valuable they are in determining what a good player is.

Well with our coaching staff, scouting staff and Jerry, all we have is McClay and the SPARQ tables. They have to use something.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score

And that's something I'm researching as we speak because I agree.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well with our coaching staff, scouting staff and Jerry, all we have is McClay and the SPARQ tables. They have to use something.

I'm not saying not to use it, I'm saying it's not the end-all, be-all either.

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score
Statistics are for losers. Please "measure" a player's heart, toughness, and durability. In addition, watch the game tapes and stay away from the "underwear" Olympics. Our problem is that we get too cute instead just drafting solid football players. We always want the "diamond in the rough".

Craig

Reaction score
BSed on that list, there are 4 3-sigma guys in the nfl.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It seems to be a useful tool.
Use tape to identify the best players and the sparq to identify the best athletes and find the best of both worlds.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I think they are valuable, but you can't be like a Chip Kelly and have measurables mean everything and draw a line in the sand with those measurables. And the players in the 3-Sigma group are really good (if Byron progresses like he should). So there's a trend there.

YR