Dallas Cowboys and SPARQ

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
No, but it does call into question how valuable SPARQ measurables are or aren't. While I do agree with you that the Cowboys look to be using them more, I question how valuable they are in determining what a good player is.

It's just another tool to add to the tool box for acquiring players. They still have to be able to play.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, but it does call into question how valuable SPARQ measurables are or aren't. While I do agree with you that the Cowboys look to be using them more, I question how valuable they are in determining what a good player is.

Look at the list of DT's from last years draft listed at the top of the table in the article.

Impressive huh

CCBoy

Reaction score
Statistics are for losers. Please "measure" a player's heart, toughness, and durability. In addition, watch the game tapes and stay away from the "underwear" Olympics. Our problem is that we get too cute instead just drafting solid football players. We always want the "diamond in the rough".

EF Hutton definitely is listening...but more is needed than film among collegiate levels of play.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Seattle puts a lot of of emphasis on SPARQ as well, seems to be working out for them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seattle puts a lot of of emphasis on SPARQ as well, seems to be working out for them.

It didn't work out so well with the aforementioned Christine Michael for them either. I'm not sure how long Seattle has been using it, do you know? Because if it helped them decide on Richard Sherman over Josh Thomas, it goes up several notches in my book!

:thumbup:

I think that, like anything else, it's a useful tool among many, but I don't see it as the end-all, be-all for scouting either.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It didn't work out so well with the aforementioned Christine Michael for them either. I'm not sure how long Seattle has been using it, do you know? Because if it helped them decide on Richard Sherman over Josh Thomas, it goes up several notches in my book!

I think that, like anything else, it's a useful tool among many, but I don't see it as the end-all, be-all for scouting either.

It helped them decide on Marshawn Lynch, so all the way back to 2010 at least. Sherman had a 123.3 SPARQ, while corners average usually around 104. Jeremy Lane and Brandon Browner also were above the CB average. Russell Okung also had an abnormally high score for an offensive lineman.

They probably should have factored in the football IQ with Michael, he has talent and it seems the Seahawks got a glimpse of that at the end of last season.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Michael helped them get to the playoffs last year, gaining over 100 yds one game.

DAL never gave him a chance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael helped them get to the playoffs last year, gaining over 100 yds one game.

DAL never gave him a chance.

The Seahawks traded away Michael for next to nothing. Considering that they used a 2nd round pick on him, that's a failure.

Whatever Dallas did or didn't do with him is moot at that point.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Seahawks traded away Michael for next to nothing. Considering that they used a 2nd round pick on him, that's a failure.

Whatever Dallas did or didn't do with him is moot at that point.

It was BPA gone wrong. They wasted the pick because they had Lynch and Turbin.

Everyone say BPA but they don't mean it. But I guarantee that if he was given the starting job in DAL or SEA he would have succeeded.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was BPA gone wrong. They wasted the pick because they had Lynch and Turbin.

Give it up. That dog won't hunt. Christine Michael is what he is. Half the league didn't somehow miss on this gem who 'just needs his chance!'

Everyone say BPA but they don't mean it. But I guarantee that if he was given the starting job in DAL or SEA he would have succeeded.

That's ridiculous! Not only did he do nothing here, he did nothing in Washington, and was on the street before he went back to Seattle. And the only reason they went back to him is because he was familiar with their offense and they were dealing with injuries.

The NFL isn't holding Christine Michael down.

Let's give up this conversation because like Michael, it's a waste of time.