Dallas Cowboys Are Treating Trey Lance as 'De Facto' Quarterback Pick

Steve007

Reaction score
We are talking about Trance. Not Kurt.
Read some history on Kurt and see what they thought of him. The point is we don't know about Lance. There isn't enough of a sample. After this year Lance might be the only option a QB if Dak leaves.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Not a full guaranteed contract. But he will have value on the open market, particularly for teams who will coerce him to compete for their starting job. 3y, 45m$ with 30m$ fully guaranteed at signing is not unrealistic. Gardner Minshew just got 2y 25m$ with 15m$ guaranteed at signing and he’d never be valued at a 4th round pick in a trade.
Compare what Minshew has accomplished in his career to say, Trevor Lawrence. Wins, passing yards, touchdown passes, interceptions. Lawrence was the first guy picked in the first round. If you want Minshew pay you at least have to have Minshew performance. Trey Lance is not going to be paid more than a guy like Gardner Minshew until he actually performs as well as Gardner Minshew.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Compare what Minshew has accomplished in his career to say, Trevor Lawrence. Wins, passing yards, touchdown passes, interceptions. Lawrence was the first guy picked in the first round. If you want Minshew pay you at least have to have Minshew performance. Trey Lance is not going to be paid more than a guy like Gardner Minshew until he actually performs as well as Gardner Minshew.
Do you believe production beats potential no matter what?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
So would you rather have Spencer from South Carolina for 4 years or Lance for two? If the Cowboys were smart they would sign Lance to a one year contract extension like Green Bay did with Jordan Love. If love didn’t play well the Packers easily could have moved on. Now they have him for another year without paying the full salary of his 5 th year option.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Why would they?

Do you hear any talk of other teams backups?
No. And Lance will be paid commensurate with his contributions to the team. Jerry Jones may be dumb, but he’s not stupid. If Lance is signed to an extension it will be the the $2.5 million per season variety.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
SAN FRAN couldn't do anything with him how do you think dumb and dumber will
D&D aren’t doing anything with him. They’re relying on the coaches including McCarthy whose specialty has been in the area of QB development.

raven55

Reaction score
so there not gonna extent dak. but if they extent dak will he be qb2 so that would them dead in the water on him and can they afford to do that. that's the big question

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
SAN FRAN couldn't do anything with him how do you think dumb and dumber will
Lance needed time, 49ers didn't have time, they had another young QB producing. They got rid of Lance because any GM with common since could see the headache it would have been with media and fans if they kept both. The minute Purdy struggled everyone would be clamoring for Lance. They made a decision they chose Purdy, if it was vice versa Purdy would have been traded.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Read some history on Kurt and see what they thought of him. The point is we don't know about Lance. There isn't enough of a sample. After this year Lance might be the only option a QB if Dak leaves.
So Trance should go play arena football for 5 years.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You don't understand.
I understand his contract is over after the season. I understand he will not play this year.

So we wasted a 4th round pick and $5M.

I also understand the Niners took a RB in the 4th round.

Steve007

Reaction score
I understand his contract is over after the season. I understand he will not play this year.

So we wasted a 4th round pick and $5M.

I also understand the Niners took a RB in the 4th round.
With Daks contract situation, Lance might be the only option in 2025. Just because his contract is up after the season dosen't mean the Cowboys wont give him a new one. If the Cowboys let him walk or Lance is a bust then it's a wasted pick. The Cowboys will give lance a contract. They will eiither keep him or trade him.

dupree89

Reaction score
I trust the SF front office more than I trust the Dallas front office.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Question still is are some Cowboys fans confident enough in Trey Lance enough to be willing to forgo drafting 1st or 2nd round QBs to give Trey Lance a few seasons as the starting QB for the Cowboys. Because we would see who actually sincerely believes in Trey Lance's potential of turning into respectable to very good QB for the Cowboys, by making the team playoff contenders throughout his tenure with Dallas. And who is only advocating for Trey Lance due to an "Anyone but Dak." agenda.

Like if Jerry came out and said Dak's replacement is going to be Trey Lance and they don't feel the need to draft a QB in the first round for the next few seasons, because they already think they have a first round talent in Trey Lance. Would fans be okay with the front office forgoing drafting the best first round QB prospects on the assumption that Trey Lance can turn it on and play like a top ten, first round NFL QB himself?

Because how Jerry approaches selecting Dak's replacement is going to reveal who the true supporters of Trey Lance are. In the scenario of the Jerry and Stephen agreeing with some Cowboys fans that Trey Lance never got a fair chance in San Fran. So they decided that no matter what, they're going to give the starting job to Trey Lance for 2 or 3 seasons to see what he has.

Redline360

Reaction score
Never under stood the hype around him nor the trade for him. I mean he couldn't hack it in Shanahans system and they dumped him. Kind of a red flag for me. Granted Purdy came out of nowhere for them

But since he's on the cowboys I hope "all the tools in the world" clicks finally

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never under stood the hype around him nor the trade for him. I mean he couldn't hack it in Shanahans system and they dumped him. Kind of a red flag for me.
Distortion of the truth.

The hype was due to his athletic ability.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The contract I proposed is bottom end starter money with a 270+m$ 2025 salary cap.

Jimmy Garoppolo was made the highest paid QB in league history after 3 starts for NE and 6 garbage time starts for SF… and he was never viewed previously as a top-of-the-draft talent. Still more games than Trey, but highest in league history. Think about that.

Brock Osweiler was given a massive contract by the Texans after starting 7 games in 4 years for Denver, and not looking particularly special in any of them. He was originally a 3rd round pick. Thats 50m$ AAV in today’s money.

Matt Flynn signed a 6.5m$ AAV contract with Seattle based on 1 game; that’s equivalent today to 30m$ a year. He was a 7th round pick.

Absolutely, 100% teams in need have a history of giving QBs huge amounts of money based on very limited play… or even just based on perceived potential. 15m$ is not unreasonable at all.

The problem for him is the playing time he did get was resoundingly disappointing. He will need to build some credit to get more dough. I would say that if he does not start at least 2-3 games this season, he will get less than $10M in guaranteed money (maybe less than $5M). He likely would need to compete with a drafted rookie otherwise. Maybe a very incentivized deal?