big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Trey Lance serves as the Cowboys quarterback pick

JAMES BRIZUELA
APR 24, 2024

Trey Lance was supposed to be the quarterback of the future for the San Francisco 49ers, who traded up with the Miami Dolphins and gave up three first-round picks to get him in the 2021 NFL Draft. Sadly, things did not work out for Lance, and he has since landed with the Dallas Cowboys.

The Cowboys ended up trading only a fourth-round pick to the 49ers to acquire Lance, who was then listed as the team's third-string quarterback. Whether or not it was evident at the time, the feeling was that owner Jerry Jones was going to use Lance as the eventual successor to Dak Prescott.

Lance was meant to be a franchise quarterback, but he never quite got that chance with the 49ers. It could be that Jones is playing the waiting game to see how he develops through OTAs, training camp, and preseason to see if he does possess the right skills to eventually step into the role of the starter.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/dallas-cowboys-treating-trey-lance-as-de-facto-quarterback-pick

01hw6vn1extraa82epxv

fivetwos

Reaction score
He is a free agent nine months from now.

If he shows anything at all he will have significant offers. If he doesn’t he is a major question mark.

How in the WORLD can that be considered the same as someone you’re paying nothing to for the next 4-5 years?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dallas Cowboys Are Treating Trey Lance as 'De Facto' Quarterback Pick​

That was my opinion last August. It is typical Jerry Jones thinking. Not sure why anyone would think he acquired Trey Lance for any other pretense.

Well, I do know. Some believe Jones will possibly draft a quarterback tonight or tomorrow after getting Lance. That would be something to witness, lol.

Mikexike

Reaction score
I mean i 4th round pick who you will have to pay his second contract to maybe before he ever hits the field? I can see why people have questions...
You will have your answer in Sept, Patience is key here.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You will have your answer in Sept, Patience is key here.
I dont think its a lack of patience it really is your gambling a 4th round pick on a player who is due a second contract basically before he hits the field when you probably could've gambled that same 4th round pick on a rookie contract QB..again im saying i see why paople have questions...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That was my opinion last August. It is typical Jerry Jones thinking. Not sure why anyone would think he acquired Trey Lance for any other pretense.

Well, I do know. Some believe Jones will possibly draft a quarterback tonight or tomorrow after getting Lance. That would be something to witness, lol.
It would really make the trade a mystery then..of course if a QB falls (yeah i know what are the odds) that is worth it then no one would care.

Cmac

Reaction score
Until we see something on the field......hope.....just hope. Our hope is supposed to be for tonight's draft picks.

morat1959

Reaction score
Another excuse for the Jones clan not to draft a QB high in the draft for a few years. They are flat out idiots. I hope he’s great but haven’t they learned anything in the last 30 years about the most important position on the field.