Dallas Cowboys Defense gets embarassed what went wrong? (Film Study)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The game film vs the Saints does not lie. Micah Parsons even said the problem was not Coach Zimmer or the playcalling. It was the players. Watch...

Totally inexcusable to slack and not play full speed. This defense played the exact way in the playoff blowout loss to the Packers this past January.

What needs to be done to the players to fix this?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Maybe the rest of the D needs a Dak level contract for motivation?

All kidding aside, the slacking can most likely be narrowed down to 1 person, the 1 person who doesn't to care if the players are held accountable for crap, uninspired play. Hint: it isn't MM. Professional athletes shouldn't need to be motivated to do their damn job, but here we are - again.

LysleE

Reaction score
Need new players…
think desire and hard work trumps talent; would rather have a player less athletic with a desire who is dedicated to his craft and is thankful for playing in the NFL, than an athletically-gifted player who has been constantly told how great he is and thus doesnt work to better his craft.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@BrAinPaiNt
@Stash
@MichaelWinicki

Could someone please help fix the title? Sorry for the trouble. Thank you.
All thread titles should reflect the source title. It is the same for articles, videos, etc.

Rc4qf2L.jpg

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe the rest of the D needs a Dak level contract for motivation?

All kidding aside, the slacking can most likely be narrowed down to 1 person, the 1 person who doesn't to care if the players are held accountable for crap, uninspired play. Hint: it isn't MM. Professional athletes shouldn't need to be motivated to do their damn job, but here we are - again.
I predicted nine and seven. Now I think we get the third overall draft pick. Imagine we could’ve used it on a quarterback. What a freaking waste this franchise.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The content creator constantly harps upon lack of player motivation throughout the video. I have described it as lack of grit.

Over time, teams demonstrated it week-to-week, in both wins and losses. Motivation was high and consistent under Jimmy Johnson. Began to ebb under Barry Switzer. Eroded a bit more under Chan Gailey. Plummeted under Dave Campo. Bounced back solidly under Bill Parcells. Dipped somewhat under Wade Phillips, before taking a nosedive at the very end of his tenure. Has fluctuated between above average to average to poor under both Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy week-to-week.

Head coaches have changed under Jerry Jones. Overall team motivation has see-sawed despite the change in head coaches. What is the consistent variable throughout the head coaching changes?

Rhetorical questions are fun. Oh wait. Individual desire, the personal want to win above all game-in game-out, to match and exceed the opponent's craving to dominate a game--is just a player problem. May as well shift the three-decade long pattern of flimsy team motivation to just them too. Right?

/rant

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
if you ask anybody, and I mean, anybody, how do you win games in the NFL
. most will say you have to be able to stop the run , and run the football.
A few will say you have to have a great quarterback.
I say if you don’t have strong offense defensive lines you’re not winning anything ever. It all starts in the pits.
Defense is never going to do anything without solid defense tackle rotation
. But Jerry wants the sack , he gets off on it. He thinks it’s sexy. I can’t stand him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Players play like crap. Effort is questioned.

Then Jerry gets on the radio and pumps sunshine in order to sell his product and defend the crap job they are doing overall.

I won’t be convinced the two aren’t related to at least some degree. There’s simply WAY too much to overcome here as a HC.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The game film vs the Saints does not lie. Micah Parsons even said the problem was not Coach Zimmer or the playcalling. It was the players. Watch...

Totally inexcusable to slack and not play full speed. This defense played the exact way in the playoff blowout loss to the Packers this past January.

When you’re getting pancake and you’re on the ground, there’s not much you can do. The play is over.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players play like crap. Effort is questioned.

Then Jerry gets on the radio and pumps sunshine in order to sell his product and defend the crap job they are doing overall.

I won’t be convinced the two aren’t related to at least some degree. There’s simply WAY too much to overcome here as a HC.
Two cooks in one kitchen can always be an avoidable problem.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

that was ugly. no effort. the new guys up front or just collecting pay checks. that's it. no heart. no desire. its going to be a long season.
let me jump the gun and say, almost guaranteed, we are going to draft a DT in first round next year. that will be Jerry's reaction.

Creeper

Reaction score
The defense is awful but that screen pass that went for a TD was a perfect call. The Cowboys had two LBs rushing in and the play went right behind them.

One change I would make is get Juanyeh Thomas more playing time. The safeties are not getting it done.

I don't think there is anything that can be done at this point with the DTs. I think Joseph will get a little better once he gets some playing time under his belt but that's not much. I don't think Carlos Watkins is going to help much.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I predicted nine and seven. Now I think we get the third overall draft pick.
Good defense week one. Bad defense week two. The truth is they are somewhere in between. 9-7, 7-9 who know where they will end up this season. But the only way they pick 3rd next April is if they trade up for that pick.