News: Dallas Cowboys Draft 2016: Cowboys Will Take A Quarterback, It's Just A Matter Of Who & When?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Draft 2016: Cowboys Will Take A Quarterback, It's Just A Matter Of Who & When?

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...16-cowboys-will-take-a-quarterback-its-just-a

We can't blame them for wanting to solidify the position and, in turn, finally try and develop someone to take over for that inevitable day. With their draft positioning at the top of each round, they have a window of opportunity to get one and put themselves in a good position for the future. It's okay to want an impact player in round one, I sure do, but if they do go there, be prepared. If they see an opportunity to get a potential future face of the franchise, they just can't pass on that. I get all the arguments for it not helping them this year, trust me. If the unthinkable happens, they will certainly be up that putrid creek once again. This is about more than just 2016 though. For the coaches and front office personnel, it's much more than that. It can be the deciding factor of whether they have jobs in the future.

As we speak, they have begun having visits and private workouts with all sorts of passers. This process started long ago with the Senior Bowl and it will continue up until the draft. In order for them to get one of quality, they will have to grab one in rounds 1-3. Dak Prescott in the third round is just about where their cut-off will be. They have spent an awful lot of time with him as I have already outlined here. Then there is also this to consider...

*(the team having workouts with Goff, Wentz, Lynch, and Prescott)

...Now, that is certainly also an interesting note because depending on who you ask, Lynch is going to go anywhere from the end of the first to the beginning of the second. However, if they want him, they may have to trade back up into the end of the first round to be sure. The two guys at the top are still in play as well, both Carson Wentz and Jared Goff could potentially be there at four, and at least one of them certainly should be, barring any trades.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Some think Jones is 'blowing smoke' about not drafting QB with No. 4 pick

Jerry Jones has made it clear he thinks Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo can play another four or five years. The assumption has been that Dallas has too many other needs to spend a first-round pick (fourth overall) on North Dakota State's Carson Wentz or Cal's Jared Goff just to have either sit behind Romo. Not everybody is buying it. Example, DMN special contributor Matt Mosley: I believe now more than ever that Jones was full of it when he made those comments. The Cowboys haven't brought in a legitimate backup to Romo for one simple reason: They are thinking seriously about selecting either Carson Wentz or Jared Goff.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...-shopping-corner-market-good-vibes-morris?f=r

bodi

Reaction score
so did you watch the Super Bowl

at age 40 Peyton had 141 yards

he posted poor stats in the 2015 regular season and Super Bowl 50 (which would be his final season) but nonetheless won his second league championship thanks to his team's defense

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
news-flash-duck.jpg

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The scouting department fell in love with Wentz. If he falls to the 4th pick, he'll be a Cowboy. Watch and see.

tommyajar

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Draft 2016: Cowboys Will Take A Quarterback, It's Just A Matter Of Who & When?

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...16-cowboys-will-take-a-quarterback-its-just-a

We can't blame them for wanting to solidify the position and, in turn, finally try and develop someone to take over for that inevitable day. With their draft positioning at the top of each round, they have a window of opportunity to get one and put themselves in a good position for the future. It's okay to want an impact player in round one, I sure do, but if they do go there, be prepared. If they see an opportunity to get a potential future face of the franchise, they just can't pass on that. I get all the arguments for it not helping them this year, trust me. If the unthinkable happens, they will certainly be up that putrid creek once again. This is about more than just 2016 though. For the coaches and front office personnel, it's much more than that. It can be the deciding factor of whether they have jobs in the future.

As we speak, they have begun having visits and private workouts with all sorts of passers. This process started long ago with the Senior Bowl and it will continue up until the draft. In order for them to get one of quality, they will have to grab one in rounds 1-3. Dak Prescott in the third round is just about where their cut-off will be. They have spent an awful lot of time with him as I have already outlined here. Then there is also this to consider...

*(the team having workouts with Goff, Wentz, Lynch, and Prescott)

...Now, that is certainly also an interesting note because depending on who you ask, Lynch is going to go anywhere from the end of the first to the beginning of the second. However, if they want him, they may have to trade back up into the end of the first round to be sure. The two guys at the top are still in play as well, both Carson Wentz and Jared Goff could potentially be there at four, and at least one of them certainly should be, barring any trades.

I read this article the other day, & I believe they will definitely use a 4th or so round pick on a QB! That being said, I just checked who is still out there available as free agent QB. Anyone think any of these guys could be a decent backup? Obviously Fitzpatrick would be a nice upgrade, but he isn't coming here to be a backup. I am not sure how old Josh Freeman is, but he may be able to still get some wins? Other than that, maybe they can swing a trade for either the TB backup or the Browns backup (now that they have RG3)! Or would it even be possible to trade w/ the 49ers & get Kapernick as the backup? Maybe they swing a trade & he is a part of it so they can move up to #4 in the draft? I don't know? I am thinking wayyyyy outside the box because the 1 really glaring area last year was backup QB & they have done exactly SQUADOOSH to upgrade it!

nfl.png
2016 NFL Free Agents

Tracking the status and signings of all 2016 NFL free agents. This tool includes all signings that happen during the Free Agency window only.

2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
- Sort by Team - ARI ATL BAL BUF CAR CHI CIN CLE DAL DEN DET GB HOU IND JAC KC LA MIA MIN NE NO NYG NYJ OAK PHI PIT SD SF SEA TB TEN WAS
All Positions Offense Quarterback Running Back Fullback Wide Receiver Tight End Offensive Line Tackle Left Tackle Right Tackle Guard Center Defense Defensive Line Defensive End Defensive Tackle Linebacker Outside Linebacker Inside Linebacker Secondary Cornerback Safety Free Safety Strong Safety Kicker Punter Long Snapper
All Types UFA RFA ERFA
All Statuses Available Signed

PLAYER (11 OF 13)
POS.
TO
YRS
DOLLARS
AVERAGE
GUARANTEED
Ryan FitzpatrickQB33NYJTBD----
Johnny ManzielQB23CLETBD----
Bruce GradkowskiQB33PITTBD----
Tarvaris JacksonQB32SEATBD----
Charlie WhitehurstQB33INDTBD----
Michael VickQB35PITTBD----
Josh JohnsonQB29BUFTBD----
T.J. YatesQB28HOUTBD----
Matt FlynnQB30NOTBD----
Brandon WeedenQB32HOUTBD----
Jimmy ClausenQB28BALTBD----
Josh FreemanQB28INDTBD----
Ryan LindleyQB26INDTBD--

CCBoy

Reaction score
I read this article the other day, & I believe they will definitely use a 4th or so round pick on a QB! That being said, I just checked who is still out there available as free agent QB. Anyone think any of these guys could be a decent backup? Obviously Fitzpatrick would be a nice upgrade, but he isn't coming here to be a backup. I am not sure how old Josh Freeman is, but he may be able to still get some wins? Other than that, maybe they can swing a trade for either the TB backup or the Browns backup (now that they have RG3)! Or would it even be possible to trade w/ the 49ers & get Kapernick as the backup? Maybe they swing a trade & he is a part of it so they can move up to #4 in the draft? I don't know? I am thinking wayyyyy outside the box because the 1 really glaring area last year was backup QB & they have done exactly SQUADOOSH to upgrade it!

nfl.png
2016 NFL Free Agents

Tracking the status and signings of all 2016 NFL free agents. This tool includes all signings that happen during the Free Agency window only.

2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
- Sort by Team - ARI ATL BAL BUF CAR CHI CIN CLE DAL DEN DET GB HOU IND JAC KC LA MIA MIN NE NO NYG NYJ OAK PHI PIT SD SF SEA TB TEN WAS
All Positions Offense Quarterback Running Back Fullback Wide Receiver Tight End Offensive Line Tackle Left Tackle Right Tackle Guard Center Defense Defensive Line Defensive End Defensive Tackle Linebacker Outside Linebacker Inside Linebacker Secondary Cornerback Safety Free Safety Strong Safety Kicker Punter Long Snapper
All Types UFA RFA ERFA
All Statuses Available Signed

PLAYER (11 OF 13)
POS.
TO
YRS
DOLLARS
AVERAGE
GUARANTEED
Ryan FitzpatrickQB33NYJTBD----
Johnny ManzielQB23CLETBD----
Bruce GradkowskiQB33PITTBD----
Tarvaris JacksonQB32SEATBD----
Charlie WhitehurstQB33INDTBD----
Michael VickQB35PITTBD----
Josh JohnsonQB29BUFTBD----
T.J. YatesQB28HOUTBD----
Matt FlynnQB30NOTBD----
Brandon WeedenQB32HOUTBD----
Jimmy ClausenQB28BALTBD----
Josh FreemanQB28INDTBD----
Ryan LindleyQB26INDTBD--

Thanks for the work. I think that positional totals would push a top veteran quarterback out of a picture with the current cap status for Dallas. Too much money would be paid out for quarterback, without ensuring a transitional future franchise quarterback as well.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
The Cowboys will draft a QB in either round 1 or 2. If Wentz falls to 4 I think he is the pick. If not I would think Bosa or Ramsey it is. If they go that direction in round 1 Cook or Paxton Lynch would be the picks if still there in round 2.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
so did you watch the Super Bowl

at age 40 Peyton had 141 yards

he posted poor stats in the 2015 regular season and Super Bowl 50 (which would be his final season) but nonetheless won his second league championship thanks to his team's defense

What one team does to win a championship shouldn't dictate what we do to attempt to win one. Every championship team is different. Some like the Rams put up tons of points. Some like the Ravens played defense. Some had great quarterback play.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I wonder if this guy wrote a similar article last year except with Running Back being the certainty?

jnday

Reaction score
Thanks for the work. I think that positional totals would push a top veteran quarterback out of a picture with the current cap status for Dallas. Too much money would be paid out for quarterback, without ensuring a transitional future franchise quarterback as well.

You have brought up the point about the salary cap and picking a QB high in the draft several times. Are you actually suggesting that Dallas should pass on a top QB because it would cost more than a scrub? If you are planning on picking in the top five every year, you would have a point. This is the highest pick that the team has had in years. They better take advantage of it. I know you seem set on taking defense, a LB in particular . There is no LB worth a top five pick if he can't rush the passer. AB is the most important position on the field and in case you haven't noticed, Romo's time is coming to an end.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
We are drafting Prescott, it's practically a done deal at this point.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You have brought up the point about the salary cap and picking a QB high in the draft several times. Are you actually suggesting that Dallas should pass on a top QB because it would cost more than a scrub? If you are planning on picking in the top five every year, you would have a point. This is the highest pick that the team has had in years. They better take advantage of it. I know you seem set on taking defense, a LB in particular . There is no LB worth a top five pick if he can't rush the passer. AB is the most important position on the field and in case you haven't noticed, Romo's time is coming to an end.

I'm exploring the depths of cap management through discussion. I don't have a bias beyond reckonizing potentials for negative changes. Over the past five seasons, this Dallas team has had to reestablish fiscal responsibility, and that wasn't an easy progression.

What is being missed in a discussion between you and me, is the acknowledgement that over $25 Million for a three man section group, is a lot of cap.

One can't go alone, on a single positions utility or value...without a team correlation.

The current cap picture for the Cowboys, will reflect the sum of about $20 million a season for the next three years...with, or without Tony Romo. That is a significant and potential trip/fall fact that has to be acknowledged as well.

Just based upon my personal bias for a successful offense, first...I'd go with QB, WR, and then RB. The accumulated offensive picture from that group of additions, would project out easily five to six seasons. And the unit would produce at a high rate for that duration.

As to discussion between us, you need to do a better line up of what I say, and not how it fits into an easier discussion for how you attempt to develop instead.

I was a linebacker, and love good linebacker play...but Jack only comes to view up high, because he and Ramsey are valid play makers with dynamic personal traits. Those are somewhat rare at the entrance levels of the NFL. Jack is a secondary play maker, and Ramsey is a third level play maker. Both would greatly enhance the current Dallas defense.

The Cowboys will go by their evaluated and discussed draft board...and all we really do, is root and discuss all the background alternatives.

At this point in time, no fan has a correctly graded board to claim vantage from...just some opinions. As your opinions are just as correct as the next. I just won't agree with all that is presented, but not because of a particular method of selection, but upon what I consider merit or potential for merit.

That's all there is to the situation...

jnday

Reaction score
I'm exploring the depths of cap management through discussion. I don't have a bias beyond reckonizing potentials for negative changes. Over the past five seasons, this Dallas team has had to reestablish fiscal responsibility, and that wasn't an easy progression.

What is being missed in a discussion between you and me, is the acknowledgement that over $25 Million for a three man section group, is a lot of cap.

One can't go alone, on a single positions utility or value...without a team correlation.

The current cap picture for the Cowboys, will reflect the sum of about $20 million a season for the next three years...with, or without Tony Romo. That is a significant and potential trip/fall fact that has to be acknowledged as well.

Just based upon my personal bias for a successful offense, first...I'd go with QB, WR, and then RB. The accumulated offensive picture from that group of additions, would project out easily five to six seasons. And the unit would produce at a high rate for that duration.

As to discussion between us, you need to do a better line up of what I say, and not how it fits into an easier discussion for how you attempt to develop instead.

I was a linebacker, and love good linebacker play...but Jack only comes to view up high, because he and Ramsey are valid play makers with dynamic personal traits. Those are somewhat rare at the entrance levels of the NFL. Jack is a secondary play maker, and Ramsey is a third level play maker. Both would greatly enhance the current Dallas defense.

The Cowboys will go by their evaluated and discussed draft board...and all we really do, is root and discuss all the background alternatives.

At this point in time, no fan has a correctly graded board to claim vantage from...just some opinions. As your opinions are just as correct as the next. I just won't agree with all that is presented, but not because of a particular method of selection, but upon what I consider merit or potential for merit.

That's all there is to the situation...

Without addressing your other points, Ramsey was far from s playmaker.?turnovers are about like Carr's turnover rate. I still have no problem with spending big money for a couple years if it means this team has it's franchise QB for the next ten years. Other teams would agree.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Without addressing your other points, Ramsey was far from s playmaker.?turnovers are about like Carr's turnover rate. I still have no problem with spending big money for a couple years if it means this team has it's franchise QB for the next ten years. Other teams would agree.

That is your opinion, and noted...but they remain partially informed and with bias. Valid as presented, but much of the story left on standby...makes for a nice day at Vegas, but a wife on nerve pill back at home.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The scouting department fell in love with Wentz. If he falls to the 4th pick, he'll be a Cowboy. Watch and see.

but if he's gone....I bet we don't draft anybody.

Jerry said we wouldn't draft a RB last year...and we didn't. Just saying...He's kind of stubborn that way.....:rolleyes:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
but if he's gone....I bet we don't draft anybody.

Jerry said we wouldn't draft a RB last year...and we didn't. Just saying...He's kind of stubborn that way.....:rolleyes:

Wentz or Goff will be there at 4. Either one is a great QB pick. A good RB can be had without spending high draft picks or big money.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm all for taking a QB at 4. To me the time will never be better. But I hate the idea of taking a QB later just to be taking a QB. To me taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rnds is just wasting a pick

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Wentz or Goff will be there at 4. Either one is a great QB pick. A good RB can be had without spending high draft picks or big money.

I don't think the front office likes Goff....And I can't blame them. :rolleyes: