Dallas Cowboys Go International for Added Size, Defensive Line Depth

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Bluntly speaking he is not that big.
Have any international players ever made the Pro Bowl?
How many have ever been starters?
right now this is a complete nothingburger

Are you referring to internationally born players or ones from the “pathway program”?

There have been plenty of really good internationally born players. Morton Anderson, Hines Ward, Sebastian Janakowski, Tamba Hali…

gtb1943

Reaction score
Are you referring to internationally born players or ones from the “pathway program”?

There have been plenty of really good internationally born players. Morton Anderson, Hines Ward, Sebastian Janakowski, Tamba Hali…
well I thought I was clear
the program specifically for international players

Motorola

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-get-surprise-roster-exemption-for-daxon

Dallas also gets a roster exemption for Daxon.
So they can carry 91 players into TC. Also if he does not make the 53 man roster, he can count as a 17th player on the practice squad.

Remember Mr. Cake, Isaac Alacron'?

Let the comparison rants begin. :laugh:
Daxon did play American football in high school and college - unlike the vast majority of prospects selected to participate.
As the article stated, he qualified for the International Player Pathway Program because Daxon was born and raised outside of the U.S.

Motorola

Reaction score
IIssac Alarcon signed a reserve/future contract with the Forty-niners back in late January.
Excuse the misspelling of the player's first name.
And does anyone know how to add the accent symbols to names and other words while typing?

shabazz

Reaction score

Dallas Cowboys go international for added size, defensive line depth

By Josh Sanchez | Sports Illustrated/FanNation
June 15, 2024

images%2FImagnImages%2Fmmsport%2Fcowboys_country%2F01j0ezfyqyjr3veaz6rs.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys have gone international to add some size and depth to the interior defensive line.

Rookie free agent defensive tackle Denzel Daxon, who checks in at 6-foot-2, 304 pounds, played his college career with the Ohio Bobcats and Illinois Fighting Illini.

He was born and raised in Nassau, Bahamas...Read more
....is he ill tempered?

Motorola

Reaction score
Seems weird to put him the International program when he played collegiate football here.

He basically is an undrafted player on a technicality. It's not at all what this program was designed for.

But hey, free player.
A loophole discovered by a Cowboys scout.
Read that he came to the U.S. as a teenager; played HS football in Miami.
Wonder if Daxon would have stayed committed to one of the big D-1 programs (Miami, Louisville, Georgia) he received offers from, what he wouldn't have turned out to be.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
A loophole discovered by a Cowboys scout.
Read that he came to the U.S. as a teenager; played HS football in Miami.
Wonder if Daxon would have stayed committed to one of the big D-1 programs (Miami, Louisville, Georgia) he received offers from, what he wouldn't have turned out to be.
I don't think he's very good. We will see.

If I'm going to spend time developing an "International" prospect I want the unmolded ball of clay with crazy traits. Not someone who played 4 years of D1 college and was deemed not good enough to be drafted or initially signed in undrafted free agency.

This to me would be like signing Johnny Manziel today because he has Italian citizenship. You could have just signed him normally years ago.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the Cowboys have been granted a roster exemption for Daxon since he is considered part of the NFL International Pathways program.

Meaning they can now bring 91 players to camp, and have 5 open roster spots as of right now.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Bahama, bahama mama
Got the biggest house in town bahama mama.......

Motorola

Reaction score
I don't think he's very good. We will see.

If I'm going to spend time developing an "International" prospect I want the unmolded ball of clay with crazy traits. Not someone who played 4 years of D1 college and was deemed not good enough to be drafted or initially signed in undrafted free agency.

This to me would be like signing Johnny Manziel today because he has Italian citizenship. You could have just signed him normally years ago.
"unmolded ball of clay with crazy traits" = phenomenal athlete that excelled in another sport - no little experience playing organized American football at any level?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
"unmolded ball of clay with crazy traits" = phenomenal athlete that excelled in another sport - no little experience playing organized American football at any level?
Yes.

That's what the IPP is for.

Kansas City just signed a 23 -year-old Rugby player who is 6'3" and 214 lbs. runs a 4.43 40. He will have zero pressure to sit and learn in the Chiefs organization.

This guy is a guy who has had a ton of college football coaching and was deemed not good enough. It's fine, and harmless really, but I think this specific player is a waste of everyone's time. What has changed since he played in college that now makes him a potential NFL player? He does not have exceptional size (6'2", 304) or athletic ability.

It's literally a technicality that he qualifies for the IPP.

From the article:

And because of the international exception, Dax has a chance to at least remain with the Cowboys for up to three years while developing on the practice squad. That is, unless he makes the 53-man roster, which is the ultimate goal of any rookie, regardless of their situation.

No harm, no foul, but also no big deal.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yes.

That's what the IPP is for.

Kansas City just signed a 23 -year-old Rugby player who is 6'3" and 214 lbs. runs a 4.43 40. He will have zero pressure to sit and learn in the Chiefs organization.

This guy is a guy who has had a ton of college football coaching and was deemed not good enough. It's fine, and harmless really, but I think this specific player is a waste of everyone's time. What has changed since he played in college that now makes him a potential NFL player? He does not have exceptional size (6'2", 304) or athletic ability.

It's literally a technicality that he qualifies for the IPP.

From the article:

And because of the international exception, Dax has a chance to at least remain with the Cowboys for up to three years while developing on the practice squad. That is, unless he makes the 53-man roster, which is the ultimate goal of any rookie, regardless of their situation.

No harm, no foul, but also no big deal.
so how much will he make if he goes three years on the practice squad?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
so how much will he make if he goes three years on the practice squad?
The minimum salary for NFL practice squad players is $12,000 per week. If a player has accrued at least two seasons, their minimum salary is $16,100 per week, and the maximum salary is $20,600 per week. If a player with fewer than two seasons is on the practice squad for all 18 weeks, they would earn $216,000.

Three years would be roughly $648,000.