News: Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/10/dallas-cowboys-unprecedented-depth-trenches/

https%3A%2F%2Fthelandryhat.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2018%2F08%2F1182992560-850x560.jpeg

With the perfect mix of stars, veterans, and youth, both the offensive and defensive lines for the Dallas Cowboys are built for success.
The Dallas Cowboys may not have the second coming of the “Great Wall” along their offensive line as they did a few years ago. They may not have a surefire Hall of Fame “war daddy” coming after the opposing quarterback as they did a few years ago either.

That does not mean that the cupboard is bare on either side of the ball, however. In fact, heading into the 2020 NFL season, the Dallas Cowboys may arguably have the best depth within the trenches across the entire league...

...In total, the Dallas Cowboys have 21 guys on both sides of the ball who not only should make the 55-man roster but who could also all contribute at any point during the season. If this comes to fruition, almost 40 percent of the roster will be encompassed by offensive and defensive linemen. That type of talent and depth is unprecedented in Big D and gives both fans and the organization something to be excited about heading into the 2020 season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have a very good mix of vet players and youth, some good talent, on paper anyway, as well as real talent. They now have a more football functional coaching staff. They don't need to be the Great Wall or Doomsday Defense across the LOS. But they need to be consistent and make plays. They should be able to do that with the set of skill players on offense. The secondary needs to step up, but with the better coaching, they should be better. And we have a real ST's coach now too.

Everything is right here to have a good 4 or 5 year run at being SB contenders.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Their depth is overstated at DE.

Just because you have warm bodies doesn’t mean you have depth.
Oh, as usual, just explain such insights set fully in agenda and bad emotions...nothing suites you. As to your non ending song and dance, nothing succeeds.

Rush to the front of OP's...and set the burn barrel rendition of gloom and failure. As to defensive ends, NO, there are quite a few players who will gladly mix it up as well as have a core of talent.

You insead hoping for a top dollar, remaining free agent be signed? Now that would be drama...:popcorn:

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Games are on won in the trenches. No reason the Cowboys can't field among the best on both sides of the ball this year. My biggest concern is the pass rush. There are guys who can get it done. They just need to perform. Nothing like watching unrelenting pressure on the QB to kill drives.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Games are on won in the trenches. No reason the Cowboys can't field among the best on both sides of the ball this year. My biggest concern is the pass rush. There are guys who can get it done. They just need to perform. Nothing like watching unrelenting pressure on the QB to kill drives.

Oh, definitely...it's feeding time for our hogs! uuuuuhWEEEE, souie, souie, ...souie!:thumbup:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Our OL was better last year

Then we lost our 2nd and 3rd best DLmen from last year. Depth probably improved. Weird timing for this article though.

Unprecedented is a questionable way to word it. There have without a doubt been paat Cowboy's rosters with better depth, and there are other teams currently with better depth.

Sydla

Reaction score
Oh, as usual, just explain such insights set fully in agenda and bad emotions...nothing suites you. As to your non ending song and dance, nothing succeeds.

Rush to the front of OP's...and set the burn barrel rendition of gloom and failure. As to defensive ends, NO, there are quite a few players who will gladly mix it up as well as have a core of talent.

You insead hoping for a top dollar, remaining free agent be signed? Now that would be drama...:popcorn:

Here's an explanation.

You have one proven player in Lawrence. Here's the rest:

- Crawford is not a good DE. He's a DT trying to play DE and is likely better suited for LDE if he's a DE at all. We are going to try him at RDE it appears.

- Smith. Hasn't played football since Nov of 2015. People keep assuming he's going to somehow come in and just pick up where he left off.

- Gregory. Hasn't played football in over a year.

- Armstrong. Shown himself to be a decent backup player, which we can use. But that's it.

- Jelks/Jackson. Two practice squad guys that didn't show much last year.

- Anae. A 5th round rookie. Thinking he's going to come in and make an impact is probably optimistic. I like the pick but he should be viewed as a project and long term prospect.

That's DE. That's it. I know it hurts some of you guys to have to face reality but DE right now is not a strength. It's not deep. It's basically been put together with bandaids with the hope they will get lucky. It's kind of the same approach they used at WR in 2018 and that failed.

I think they should bring in Griffen, personally. He won't cost as much as Clowney, won't be overly expensive, probably would be a short term deal, and could slide into the RDE spot immediately.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Here's an explanation.

- Crawford is not a good DE. He's a DT trying to play DE and is likely better suited for LDE if he's a DE at all. We are going to try him at RDE it appears.

- Smith. Hasn't played football since Nov of 2015. People keep assuming he's going to somehow come in and just pick up where he left off.

- Armstrong. Shown himself to be a decent backup player, which we can use. But that's it.

- Anae. A 5th round rookie. Thinking he's going to come in and make an impact is probably optimistic. I like the pick but he should be viewed as a project and long term prospect.

That's DE. That's it. I know it hurts some of you guys to have to face reality but DE right now is not a strength. It's not deep. It's basically been put together with bandaids with the hope they will get lucky. It's kind of the same approach they used at WR in 2018 and that failed.

I think they should bring in Griffen, personally. He won't cost as much as Clowney, won't be overly expensive, probably would be a short term deal, and could slide into the RDE spot immediately.

You explained...a good attempt. Lots of it is up for discussion, and valid as such.

Myself, I believe a lot more in athletes that have already invested more than half of their own lives to get good in the business. I trust in their desire to exceed, already established, than in my doubts of what Murphy can slop up on a plate. Murphy's Law still has to be beaten down, regularly. That is why coaching is so important and also why Bill Parcells was so good. He met the wolf at the door with a club and commenced on his head.

Crawford adds good flex and depth to the defensive line, as well as scheming through a game. He actually is strong rotational value. He also has weathered some storms and isn't just blown away by a huff and a puff. The Cowboys staff already know what they are paying for...I'll stick to their judgements for this player. I won't hold my breath for a 10 sack season, although. He is a good piece in the group.

I won't hold my breath on Smith or Gregory, but no way be surprised if their talents do surface and also show strength combined as a rotational pair. They should be watched, but respected now as well. They are real, and with drive of commitment now, as well. Jerry invests in just such players...talented, with 'tude,' and dedicated completely to team now. Jerry is solid in support a Cowboy player, and for good reasons...at least to this fan. Let a man succeed by getting up, dusting off, and continuing on mission. That applies for a Texas Ranger as well...another story.

Oh, Jackson/Armstrong/Jelks/Anae, all will log plays during the season. I don't know about starts, but they will see carpet enough for justification of slot.

Oh, this defensive line will be tough...

Sydla

Reaction score
You explained...a good attempt. Lots of it is up for discussion, and valid as such.

Myself, I believe a lot more in athletes that have already invested more than half of their own lives to get good in the business. I trust in their desire to exceed, already established, than in my doubts of what Murphy can slop up on a plate. Murphy's Law still has to be beaten down, regularly. That is why coaching is so important and also why Bill Parcells was so good. He met the wolf at the door with a club and commenced on his head.

Crawford adds good flex and depth to the defensive line, as well as scheming through a game. He actually is strong rotational value. He also has weathered some storms and isn't just blown away by a huff and a puff. The Cowboys staff already know what they are paying for...I'll stick to their judgements for this player. I won't hold my breath for a 10 sack season, although. He is a good piece in the group.

I won't hold my breath on Smith or Gregory, but no way be surprised if their talents do surface and also show strength combined as a rotational pair. They should be watched, but respected now as well. They are real, and with drive of commitment now, as well. Jerry invests in just such players...talented, with 'tude,' and dedicated completely to team now. Jerry is solid in support a Cowboy player, and for good reasons...at least to this fan. Let a man succeed by getting up, dusting off, and continuing on mission. That applies for a Texas Ranger as well...another story.

Oh, Jackson/Armstrong/Jelks/Anae, all will log plays during the season. I don't know about starts, but they will see carpet enough for justification of slot.

Oh, this defensive line will be tough...

A lot of guys desire to exceed and just aren't good enough. The league is littered with guys that worked hard and just weren't good enough or their bodies started to fail them, etc.

And you basically just admitted all we have is a bunch of backup players that likely won't be great, but at least serviceable.

That's my point. We had a middling pass rush last year and that was with Quinn. And yet people suddenly think what we have accumulated at DE now is strong, deep and ready to wreck QBs. That's a lot of wishful thinking IMO and I think people are expecting a bit too much out of Nolan/Tomasulo to just whip up an elite pass rush with middling players.

Again, much of what you said above was exactly what people were saying to justify the Cowboys going cheap at WR in 2018. That the talent would shine forth, that Austin would find his first round talent, etc. And then it was clear that the bandaid approach to WR wasn't working.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
A lot of guys desire to exceed and just aren't good enough. The league is littered with guys that worked hard and just weren't good enough or their bodies started to fail them, etc.

And you basically just admitted all we have is a bunch of backup players that likely won't be great, but at least serviceable.

That's my point. We had a middling pass rush last year and that was with Quinn. And yet people suddenly think what we have accumulated at DE now is strong, deep and ready to wreck QBs. That's a lot of wishful thinking IMO.

Again, much of what you said above was exactly what people were saying to justify the Cowboys going cheap at WR in 2018. That the talent would shine forth, that Austin would find his first round talent, etc. And then it was clear that the bandaid approach to WR wasn't working.
Naw, I'm now just not buying into your continual recycling of doubt and then add on insult instead of a valid discussion...

No, I didn't; say average and doubt...those are YOUR words and continual toss as discussion.

First off, both Smith and Gregory, both, possess above average talents and skills. You wish to argue that basic? First off, YOU can't disprove it and there is a track record already respected in the scouting community throughout the NFL. An argument here? NOPE

Next, the scouting and player evaluation teams that selected the current crop of free agents and drafted players, already researched their respective back grounds as well as current status. You better informed? No, you aren't. They were brought in to succeed, and the Dallas franchise has a very long history of effectively rehabilitating players with talent. You remember Charles Haley...he was only a 4th round pick, peed on a coach's car, and was a locker room disgrace....he succeed? Why?

As to working hard, that turns a one - year into a 3-5 year special team's intro and chace. As to talent, that is shown within 1-3 Years. There is a lot more starting time and time on the carpet in this group, than you are attempting to show some respect for.

Quit going nanny two shoes and discuss some valid aspects, or waste some body else's time for your chosen agenda.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Just imagine if Taco and Hill weren’t their top picks those years. I also think DE will look much better if one of the two suspended guys get reinstated. I think either would really help. Gregory was turning into a beast before he self destructed again. Smith is a certified beast but his question is being out of league too long.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just imagine if Taco and Hill weren’t their top picks those years. I also think DE will look much better if one of the two suspended guys get reinstated. I think either would really help. Gregory was turning into a beast before he self destructed again. Smith is a certified beast but his question is being out of league too long.

Valid points...a discussion!

Verdict

Reaction score
Here's an explanation.

I like what we have inside. Poe, McCoy, Woods, Gallimore. I would think that if Poe and McCoy have some gas left in the tank it’s the best defensive interior we have assembled in some time. If they don’t have a lot left, then I think Woods and Gallimore will be very good but lack of depth could be problematic.

As for DE, well, it really depends on how you look at that group. If you go on what they COULD betting the long shots at the horse track. When they pay off it looks great but not so great when they don’t.

I think you could make the case that we would have one of the better defensive ends group in the league. You could also easily make the case that it’s a bunch of rejects that will do zero.

Reactions: BAT

CCBoy

Reaction score
I like what we have inside. Poe, McCoy, Woods, Gallimore. I would think that if Poe and McCoy have some gas left in the tank it’s the best defensive interior we have assembled in some time. If they don’t have a lot left, then I think Woods and Gallimore will be very good but lack of depth could be problematic.

As for DE, well, it really depends on how you look at that group. If you go on what they COULD betting the long shots at the horse track. When they pay off it looks great but not so great when they don’t.

I think you could make the case that we would have one of the better defensive ends group in the league. You could also easily make the case that it’s a bunch of rejects that will do zero.

Point, have you been watching the quality of free agents as well as draft picks recently? Doubt the process...as being uninformed or stupid?

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Naw, I'm now just not buying into your continual recycling of doubt and then add on insult instead of a valid discussion...

No, I didn't; say average and doubt...those are YOUR words and continual toss as discussion.

First off, both Smith and Gregory, both, possess above average talents and skills. You wish to argue that basic? First off, YOU can't disprove it and there is a track record already respected in the scouting community throughout the NFL. An argument here? NOPE

Next, the scouting and player evaluation teams that selected the current crop of free agents and drafted players, already researched their respective back grounds as well as current status. You better informed? No, you aren't. They were brought in to succeed, and the Dallas franchise has a very long history of effectively rehabilitating players with talent. You remember Charles Haley...he was only a 4th round pick, peed on a coach's car, and was a locker room disgrace....he succeed? Why?

As to working hard, that turns a one - year into a 3-5 year special team's intro and chace. As to talent, that is shown within 1-3 Years. There is a lot more starting time and time on the carpet in this group, than you are attempting to show some respect for.

Quit going nanny two shoes and discuss some valid aspects, or waste some body else's time for your chosen agenda.

Let's note that it was scouts and Jerry and Stephen and the coaches that concluded they could win with Hurns, Austin, Beasley at WR and that turned out to be totally wrong. It's the same front office that determined Garrett was a great coach and employed him for nearly a decade. It's the same front office and scouting department that built flawed teams that won 2 playoff games in a decade.

This isn't to show that I am smarter than them. It's to show that they clearly aren't infallible and can and have made some pretty big mistakes.

Gregory and Smith HAD above average talents and skills. We don't know if they still have the skills that made them elite edge players. Gregory isn't a 22 year old anymore. He's going to be 28 during the season and hasn't played football since the 2018 season. Smith will be 31 at the end of September. He hasn't played in a NFL game since Nov 2015, over 4 years. How in the world do you know what kind of player he is at this point in his career?

The Haley comparison makes no sense. No one suggested lower drafted guys can't develop. But it's not a foregone conclusion. In fact, way more players drafted in the middle to lower rounds fail than succeed........ by a significant amount. So you can't just sit there and say, hey, Charles Haley was drafted in the 4th so Anae or Jackson or Jelks or all three are definitely going to become players for us.

Reactions: BAT