News: Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches

CCBoy

Reaction score
Crawford has no place on this team. Certainly not at a $9.1 million cap hit. They've literally had to find somewhere to put him for years now, while still paying top dollar.

"Oddity" is too kind of a word for it.

De ja vu...oddity. :popcorn:

Right the second, I'll make a sig bet with YOU...Dallas has at least 10 regular season game wins. If they don't, then I put in my signature block, for 30 days, I was schooled by Stasheroo beyond recognition. If the team WINS 10 games, you post for 30 days in your signature block, never mind, I was schooled.

Step up to the plate...:cool:

Verdict

Reaction score

Right the second, I'll make a sig bet with YOU...Dallas has at least 10 regular season game wins. If they don't, then I put in my signature block, for 30 days, I was schooled by Stasheroo beyond recognition. If the team WINS 10 games, you post for 30 days in your signature block, never mind, I was schooled.

I have no dog in this fight, but what does that have to do with Crawford. Am I missing something?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you'd done your homework - which clearly never happens - you would know that I'm already on record in stating that this is a double digit win team.

And since you need to be educated, that has nothing to do with whether or not I feel great about this team's RDE position, or Crawford's status on the roster. My feelings come despite that, not because of it.

Now carry on having your meltdown. Not your first tantrum, I'm sure not the last.

source.gif

nobody

Reaction score
Unproven or not, I think the lines have more depth than they have in some time....While I hope there are no injuries, it's nice to know that some injuries here and there won't be as killer as before.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unproven or not, I think the lines have more depth than they have in some time....While I hope there are no injuries, it's nice to know that some injuries here and there won't be as killer as before.

There's a lot that I'm really happy about. Three quarters of the defensive line looks to be in very good shape, I feel good about every position other than RDE, including several backup candidates.

As for the offensive line, they have continued to invest heavily in that area and now we just need a few of the young guys to come through and we're looking very good.

dckid

Reaction score
Good post! Tons of talent on the team.

we need to win this year! It doesn’t last.
Agree. Win now.. no more next year nonsense.
I wish our FO would go all out. Maybe not this year because of Covid but going forward we need some real success.
25 years without a championship game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I joke the defense should be nicknamed “we pretend like it’s 2014 NFL” defense.

I like what McCarthy and Co are doing on defense—the underlying philosophy. But it’s a bit hodgepodge at the moment.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Not sure about unprecedented...
Haley, Tolbert, Maryland, Lett, Jeffcoat, Hennings, Jones, Casillas... Have I missed anyone?
That was unprecedented depth, at least on the DL.
We do have more depth this season than last, but I’m worried if Smith goes down and how we fair at Centre on the OL.
Hope our new DT’s live up to hopes.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If you'd done your homework - which clearly never happens - you would know that I'm already on record in stating that this is a double digit win team.

And since you need to be educated, that has nothing to do with whether or not I feel great about this team's RDE position, or Crawford's status on the roster. My feelings come despite that, not because of it.

Now carry on having your meltdown. Not your first tantrum, I'm sure not the last.

source.gif
Sometimes you are little more than a pompous *** that loves to insult and not really discuss...you can't handle objectively, not being agreed with. No, YOU carry on...as if you didn't just show your own boxers.

Stereotypes and never direct reference to points actually made...no loss in not pleasing you!

Connor Williams is still growing as a left guard, but he was not at all inadequate in 2019. There might be competition for his starting job from Connor McGovern.

Offensive line
Just because there are other contenders it doesn’t mean that this still talented bunch is going to just give up the title. Although the loss of Travis Frederick after his suffering through Guillain-Barre Syndrome hurts, they still have Tyron Smith and Zack Martin, both still in the conversation for the best at their positions in the NFL. La’el Collins is underappreciated by many, but he is showing the potential to eventually earn his own awards and is particularly valuable in the run game.

That leaves center. With Joe Looney back and McGovern also an option there, the team went into the draft in pretty good shape to fill that hole. Things just got better on day three of the draft when they traded up for the last pick in the fourth round and took Tyler Biadasz. If he is fully recovered from the injuries that caused him to slide, after being seen as a possible first-round pick before last season, he has future starter written all over him. His pedigree as a Wisconsin product doesn’t hurt, as Frederick is also from that school, which turns out some impressive NFL line talent.

The depth in the interior of the line looks good already, and players like Adam Redmond may also get into the mix as a backup. Tackle is more problematic, but the team just signed Cam Erving to compete with Brandon Knight and Mitch Wyatt, among others, for a swing tackle job. And the new rules on roster size may allow the team to carry separate backups for LT and RT.

Look for this group to continue to play at a very high level.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...cowboys-ceedee-lamb-andy-dalton-tyler-biadasz

I didn't figure you had the guts to own up to a signature bet...back to your being pompous instead.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight, but what does that have to do with Crawford. Am I missing something?
He always comes in arrogant and with a burn barrel buddy slant...to a fault. Not really open to develop a discussion...but quickly to insult. He and few other agenda and emotion thinkers, can't handle being challenged.

That 'smart' guy was all indignant on no defensive end display on the defensive side...and I called him on issue. Right then and there, the defense would have to be adequate to go with 10 wins. He didn't have the guts to take the signature bet...an old way of proving a point, and remained both indignant and insultive.

Or do you need a cereal box decoder ring also?

He prefers to insult and ignore actual content, but couldn't stand real heat in the kitchen...normal.

He has a personality disorder concerning me...but that is his business. I attempt to first discuss.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It is. Imagine Rapp or Thornhill over Hill. Imagine Watt over Taco. Could have easily happened. Rod Marinelli did some serious damage. The defense would be beastly if not for those major, but avoidable, drafting mistakes.
Very true, and it will take more than just one good off season to repair that damage, but we are off to a really good start.
Fingers crossed that we find a gem or two there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Very true, and it will take more than just one good off season to repair that damage, but we are off to a really good start.
Fingers crossed that we find a gem or two there.

Stash choosing sides on your post...

and the current renegotiation for Dak will definitely affect that very direction, at some point in the future. Golden, you already know that I don't mix crap with objectivity. Known you for quite a while now...and we're both still Cowboys fans.

As to that contract, it could affect player retentions, as early as next season. And push directions somewhat faster than optimum for this team rebuild and player talents on the carpet.

Next year, the Cowboys have enough ammo to get the top 3 players for their goals. Maybe a corner, linebacker, and safety would be nice?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/10/dallas-cowboys-unprecedented-depth-trenches/

https%3A%2F%2Fthelandryhat.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2018%2F08%2F1182992560-850x560.jpeg

With the perfect mix of stars, veterans, and youth, both the offensive and defensive lines for the Dallas Cowboys are built for success.
The Dallas Cowboys may not have the second coming of the “Great Wall” along their offensive line as they did a few years ago. They may not have a surefire Hall of Fame “war daddy” coming after the opposing quarterback as they did a few years ago either.

That does not mean that the cupboard is bare on either side of the ball, however. In fact, heading into the 2020 NFL season, the Dallas Cowboys may arguably have the best depth within the trenches across the entire league...

...In total, the Dallas Cowboys have 21 guys on both sides of the ball who not only should make the 55-man roster but who could also all contribute at any point during the season. If this comes to fruition, almost 40 percent of the roster will be encompassed by offensive and defensive linemen. That type of talent and depth is unprecedented in Big D and gives both fans and the organization something to be excited about heading into the 2020 season.

Doesn't look like Biadasz is even being given a chance to compete. Seems odd for the Rimington Award Winner as the best college center.
Rookie Tyler Biadasz and second-year man Brandon Knight could also provide the team with excellent depth along the line.​

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is closer to what is being seen as the rub on the positional group:

love what we did in the draft, but don't you think we still need some insurance at defensive end in case Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory don't come through? JOE SANCHEZ / FORT WORTH, TX

Jonny: Insurance at defensive end would be great, but I'm not quite sure how much you're going to reasonably add at this point. They'll surely look to add a body or two at the position. Obviously, you're worried about question marks. You've got guys with legitimate talent or potential (Aldon Smith, Randy Gregory, or a rookie in Bradlee Anae) who have question marks like rust or inexperience attached to them. But if you sign someone whose actual talent level is a question mark then I'm not sure that's really considered insurance.

Nick: I think the insurance is drafting Bradlee Anae and hoping he lives up to the potential they have for him. Don't forget about a couple of youngsters – Jalen Jelks and Joe Jackson – from last year. One of them could develop, as well. And they really like Ron'Dell Carter as an undrafted free agent. I think they've thrown a lot of things at the wall. Let's see if something sticks.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-concerned-about-the-depth-at-de

CCBoy

Reaction score
Doesn't look like Biadasz is even being given a chance to compete. Seems odd for the Rimington Award Winner as the best college center.
Rookie Tyler Biadasz and second-year man Brandon Knight could also provide the team with excellent depth along the line.​

The team will go with what it sees on the field...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Their depth is overstated at DE.

Gregory, Smith, and Crawford are all iffy, but at least we'll know soon enough about Gregory and Smith. If Gregory is reinstated, we're fine. One healthy starter to go with DLaw and we can scrape barrel bottoms after that.

Dreski

Reaction score
Here's an explanation.

You have one proven player in Lawrence. Here's the rest:

- Crawford is not a good DE. He's a DT trying to play DE and is likely better suited for LDE if he's a DE at all. We are going to try him at RDE it appears.

- Smith. Hasn't played football since Nov of 2015. People keep assuming he's going to somehow come in and just pick up where he left off.

- Gregory. Hasn't played football in over a year.

- Armstrong. Shown himself to be a decent backup player, which we can use. But that's it.

- Jelks/Jackson. Two practice squad guys that didn't show much last year.

- Anae. A 5th round rookie. Thinking he's going to come in and make an impact is probably optimistic. I like the pick but he should be viewed as a project and long term prospect.

That's DE. That's it. I know it hurts some of you guys to have to face reality but DE right now is not a strength. It's not deep. It's basically been put together with bandaids with the hope they will get lucky. It's kind of the same approach they used at WR in 2018 and that failed.

I think they should bring in Griffen, personally. He won't cost as much as Clowney, won't be overly expensive, probably would be a short term deal, and could slide into the RDE spot immediately.
I’d be happy if they brought in Griffen, I think we could always use help in the trenches