News: Dallas Cowboys hint at drafting offensive player at Pick 10

morasp

Reaction score
by Reid Hanson

Flying in under the radar during the Dallas Cowboys/Dak Prescott celebratory press conference, were not-so-subtle hints that offense is an option early in the 2021 NFL Draft.

On at least two occasions Stephen Jones spoke of how “You have to be open-minded or you don’t get CeeDee Lamb if he happens to be sitting there” and “You can’t go into a draft saying every player is going to be a defensive player or else you miss out”. He said it fully acknowledging the woes of the defense and the need to significantly upgrade it. He spoke repeatedly of not allowing those defensive needs to cause them to miss out on the next CeeDee Lamb scenario.

Dallas Cowboys hint at drafting offensive player at Pick 10 (sportdfw.com)

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
"I get all of that and I agree that the Cowboys need to fix their defense. But lets face it, you aren’t fixing this defense through one draft and I don’t see picking Pitts blocking you from getting day 1 contributors on defense.

With 10 picks in the 2021 draft and free agency starting soon, the Cowboys will still have plenty of resources to invest in the defense. When you pick at 10, you can’t afford a miss and based on what I have seen on the defensive prospects, I think there is a real chance you pick the wrong guy if you pick a corner.

I don’t see that with Kyle Pitts. Pitts is a 6-6, 246 pound matchup nightmare. As a Junior in college, he accumulated 43 catches, 770 yards and 12 touchdowns in 8 games. Mel Kiper Jr. said in all his years of scouting players, he has never had a tight end rated this highly and calls him a combination between a receiver and tight end.

Todd McShay said Pitts is “just different than every other player that I’ve ever watched in college football. 50-50 balls are like 80-20 when you’re throwing it to Kyle Pitts. Last year, the Cowboys couldn’t pass on Ceedee Lamb because he was the best player available and if Kyle Pitts is available at 10, he will be the best player available. Picking Pitts would send your offense into another stratosphere. Think about it."

Rayman70

Reaction score
at the end of the day, it will be one of 3 players: Slater, Surtain, Farley. I think Parsons might fall like a rock to the bottom of round 1. Pitts and smith will be gone so that temptation will be gone. ONE guy that could slip is Jamar Chase. He could be a major curveball.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Hey it worked well for the Lions... Charles Rodgers 03, Roy Williams 04 and Mike Williams 05 in a row.. Then they finally got Megatron in 07....

RandyOh

Reaction score
I have already been prepping myself for this the past couple weeks. Signs are pointing to Slater or Pitts over any defensive prospect. Especially since corner is so deep with tons of day 2 talent. probably even a solid corner slipping to our 4th round pick. I am also not convinced we would be willing to take Parsons since ownership is still so high on Jaylon. At this point they are the same player so parsons would play limited snaps and be a backup. At least Slater, Pitts, Farley, and Surtain have a starting position wide open to take.

Carson

Reaction score
Hey it worked well for the Lions... Charles Rodgers 03, Roy Williams 04 and Mike Williams 05 in a row.. Then they finally got Megatron in 07....

It’s wild. All of those guys were such dogs in college

Reactions: JPM

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Cowboys slant towards BPA and have for a while now.

Pitts and Slater are the two guys who make things really interesting, as they could realistically be hanging around at #10 and have a high enough grade to make the FO second-guess drafting defense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Terribly misleading headline for this story. Jones did not hint at drafting an offensive player. He only said you don't want to be wedged into having to draft a defensive player no matter what. Big difference.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The issue is that those guys were bad players, not that they took WRs.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
disagree. It was stupid to take 4 wr’s in the top of the draft 4 out of 5 years. Plain and simple.
They don't do that if Rogers wasn't injured and Mike Williams wasn't bad.

The problem is that they had 3 top-5 picks and got nothing out of them, not what position they played.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Getting some starters at key defensive positions in FA will open up the draft. Nothing is more important than fixing the middle of the defense, right now. Sign starters at NT and S.

Drafting a TE isn't gonna win this team anymore games. An OT is a much better pick at 10 for this team.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Don't worry, even if we go offense in round 1, Tyler Shelvin will still be a Cowboy, and that's all that matters.

817Gill

Reaction score
If the team goes out and spends on proven veteran defensive talent then I’m completely fine with offense at 10 and defense rounds 2-5.

ESisback

Reaction score
Get DT Tomlinson, then a DB or LB in free agency, then draft Pitts at 10. 44, 75 and 99–go some variation of DB, DE, LB or OT.