News: Dallas Cowboys hint at drafting offensive player at Pick 10

chagus

Reaction score
"I get all of that and I agree that the Cowboys need to fix their defense. But lets face it, you aren’t fixing this defense through one draft and I don’t see picking Pitts blocking you from getting day 1 contributors on defense.

With 10 picks in the 2021 draft and free agency starting soon, the Cowboys will still have plenty of resources to invest in the defense. When you pick at 10, you can’t afford a miss and based on what I have seen on the defensive prospects, I think there is a real chance you pick the wrong guy if you pick a corner.

I don’t see that with Kyle Pitts. Pitts is a 6-6, 246 pound matchup nightmare. As a Junior in college, he accumulated 43 catches, 770 yards and 12 touchdowns in 8 games. Mel Kiper Jr. said in all his years of scouting players, he has never had a tight end rated this highly and calls him a combination between a receiver and tight end.

Todd McShay said Pitts is “just different than every other player that I’ve ever watched in college football. 50-50 balls are like 80-20 when you’re throwing it to Kyle Pitts. Last year, the Cowboys couldn’t pass on Ceedee Lamb because he was the best player available and if Kyle Pitts is available at 10, he will be the best player available. Picking Pitts would send your offense into another stratosphere. Think about it."

I was consistently against this pick at 10 especially if the top Oline guys are there. But, the more i look into this Pitts kid, the more im thinking it might be pretty stupid to pass up on him. The kid is unstoppable. The cowboys may either smoke screen interest to accumulate later picks via a trade if Pitts is there at 10 or flat out surprise us all like they did last year and pull the trigger. I REALLY want oline help tho.

Scotman

Reaction score
This is why you sign a starting (not garbage bin) FS like Harris and a starting DT like Tomlinson in FA so that if you believe there is a generational
Player you can take him

but of we won’t
This really is the answer. I keep reading that we can sign whoever we want. So...do it. Sign a couple of the best FA defensive players available. Shore that defense up before the draft. We absolutely need to draft defense. That said, worse than drafting another offensive player at 10 is over-reaching for a defensive player at 10.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I could see the team falling in love with a Waddle, Pitts. They are special talents.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I honestly could see us going pitts. Which the thing is he is a top 5 talent. But the only way It wouldn’t be as upsetting if they go into free agency and address a lot of concerns. Otherwise it’s tough to justify yet.

Flamma

Reaction score
I honestly could see us going pitts. Which the thing is he is a top 5 talent. But the only way It wouldn’t be as upsetting if they go into free agency and address a lot of concerns. Otherwise it’s tough to justify yet.

If Pitts is there, I easily draft him over one of those corners. Draft a corner in the 2nd. You can still get a good corner in the 2nd. You don't let a TE like that slip past.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
"I get all of that and I agree that the Cowboys need to fix their defense. But lets face it, you aren’t fixing this defense through one draft and I don’t see picking Pitts blocking you from getting day 1 contributors on defense.

With 10 picks in the 2021 draft and free agency starting soon, the Cowboys will still have plenty of resources to invest in the defense. When you pick at 10, you can’t afford a miss and based on what I have seen on the defensive prospects, I think there is a real chance you pick the wrong guy if you pick a corner.

I don’t see that with Kyle Pitts. Pitts is a 6-6, 246 pound matchup nightmare. As a Junior in college, he accumulated 43 catches, 770 yards and 12 touchdowns in 8 games. Mel Kiper Jr. said in all his years of scouting players, he has never had a tight end rated this highly and calls him a combination between a receiver and tight end.

Todd McShay said Pitts is “just different than every other player that I’ve ever watched in college football. 50-50 balls are like 80-20 when you’re throwing it to Kyle Pitts. Last year, the Cowboys couldn’t pass on Ceedee Lamb because he was the best player available and if Kyle Pitts is available at 10, he will be the best player available. Picking Pitts would send your offense into another stratosphere. Think about it."
Exactly, I love it when some respond that "we dont need another TE". They have never seen Pitts play, most teams have him as a WR, he is just that hybrid like Kelce but possibly with a higher ceiling.
but Jerry needs to zip it if he really wants Pitts, all Philly has to do is sniff the Cowboys wanting pitts, and they will take him easily in front of us at 6.
Would be an interesting strategy to blow a little smoke, if your true intentions were to protect
your recently signed 160,000,000 investment., and Slater was the initial target at 10.
I would be happy with either at 10.

Last edited:

Bowdown27

Reaction score
If Pitts is there, I easily draft him over one of those corners. Draft a corner in the 2nd. You can still get a good corner in the 2nd. You don't let a TE like that slip past.
I agree. Pitts is gonna be one of the top 3 tight ends in the game I feel. Also corner can be had in the second. Linebacker is veryyyyy deep this draft

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

While maybe you can get a "good" corner in the second (and maybe not, if there's a run on cbs in the first round, teams may "panic" and grab all the "good" ones in the first round). is a "good" cornerback better than what we have or can re-sign? I'd not want to gamble he MIGHT be better, if I'm taking one in the second he'd needs to be obviously better, and that'd be hard with a second round pick.

Flamma

Reaction score
While maybe you can get a "good" corner in the second (and maybe not, if there's a run on cbs in the first round, teams may "panic" and grab all the "good" ones in the first round). is a "good" cornerback better than what we have or can re-sign? I'd not want to gamble he MIGHT be better, if I'm taking one in the second he'd needs to be obviously better, and that'd be hard with a second round pick.

That's the thing. What's Dallas even getting if they pick one at #10? He better pan out if you're going to leave Pitts there. Besides, isn't Dallas better off going S if they pick in the 2nd?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Pass rush helps out corners of all ilk. A dominating defensive line makes everyone behind them better. A stifling front seven makes all the DB's look like pro bowlers - for the most part.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Getting some starters at key defensive positions in FA will open up the draft. Nothing is more important than fixing the middle of the defense, right now. Sign starters at NT and S.

Drafting a TE isn't gonna win this team anymore games. An OT is a much better pick at 10 for this team.
I’m praying to God, Allah and Buddha every night that Sewell is available at 10.

Croomraider

Reaction score
If we go off BPA and what we've done in recent years then expect the 10 pick to be a wideout.
One of the big name wideouts will drop and hopefully it's Smith. I've never seen anyone create
separation like he does. Dak loves throwing to wide open guys and Smith is WIDDDEEE OPEN!

cowboyec

Reaction score
he's right.
its not about needs....its about talent.
trust your scouts.
trust your board.
and you never know what the draft tide will bring in when you're on the clock.